Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who drove their bug today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 107, 108, 109  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

e-square12 wrote:
Bought my bug 7 months ago and after a full front end rebuild plus some needed engine cleaning and new front/rear brakes, I finally drove it today for the first time around the block. Laughing

Very Happy Satisfaction! Well done Applause
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
puddle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Pulled it out from winter storage today and drove it around the block, even got into second gear😀. Now I just need to get new stickers for the plates so I can go for a highway cruise.
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Drove my unregistered bug right into a cop check point this morning and drove out the other side laughing. I had insurance and I wasn't drunk, seemed to be all the lady cop was interested in so she let me pass with no mention of the california registration plate on the decklid Very Happy
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

baz76 wrote:
Drove my unregistered bug right into a cop check point this morning and drove out the other side laughing. I had insurance and I wasn't drunk, seemed to be all the lady cop was interested in so she let me pass with no mention of the california registration plate on the decklid Very Happy

That’s awesome!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
baz76 wrote:

That’s awesome!

All the more awesome when you consider irish cops are amongst the most ignorant uneducated redneck horrible bastards you could ever be most unfortunate to meet, specially the female ones.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

This guy drove it today Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Drove mine today to make a dental appointment. My dentist is a longtime VW guy and he’s nearly 70, we talk VW every time we get together. After that I drove past a well known place just to the south for a quick photo. Because the weather was so nice I logged about 70 miles and took the long way home. Turned over 97k miles and it got me to thinking how long I’ve owned this car, about 6 years. It was purchased as an abandoned parts car which had been robbed of many trim pieces and the engine. Upon closer examination it was pretty much original including the paint so I rescued from junk heap.

viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Drove mine today to make a dental appointment. My dentist is a longtime VW guy and he’s nearly 70, we talk VW every time we get together.

That would be an interesting conversation.

Q."How's the bug going?"
A. "Ahh iiits wunning a bit suggish up the ills an won acceleray"
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Drove mine today to make a dental appointment. My dentist is a longtime VW guy and he’s nearly 70, we talk VW every time we get together.

That would be an interesting conversation.

Q."How's the bug going?"
A. "Ahh iiits wunning a bit suggish up the ills an won acceleray"

About 25 years ago I chose him at random and wore a VW shirt to appt, that’s how conversation started. He ended up giving me his first VW a severely rusted 62 bug that I cannibalized for parts. All these years later we still talk and I still got all my teeth Very Happy
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

I took my first drive this year. It's been raining since it stopped snowing and we finally got a dry day. Put about 40 miles on it and it ran good.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

I drove my 1971 Convertible today, top down; was a cooler than typical May 6 morning, so why not !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Drove it to work this morning. My coworkers have been bugging me to bring it in so I did. Weather is going to be nice. I had to dodge a deer though. Man those thigs look bigger through a Beetle windshield than they do from my truck. Going to take the scenic route home.

edit:

On the way home today I stopped 3 times to pick up some things and run some errands. I was approached each time by someone with a question or a story to tell. I even got the "you can put a Porsche engine in that ya know" deal. It was great. I can say I was a good VW ambassador all the while. When a guy asked me if I ran it on the highway I said "sure". I had it up to 75mph just a 1/2 hour ago. (true). Razz .

On the way home I was bumming a little bit. The car was noisy and it was windy and I was getting blown around by the wind bad. (never had that happen before). But after the comments I was energized. I can hardly wait to tune it up this weekend and set my front end alignment. Saturday is a cruse-in downtown... Dancing

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Pulled Herb Toby out of hibernation today. He's been garaged since last October, and has had quite a few upgrades over the winter. I had the 5 rims sandblasted, straightened, and powder coated to match the original 1969 colour scheme, and then had 5 new tires installed.
In the past few months, I replaced the shocks with stock Sachs, installed new heater boxes, new heater control cable, new exhaust, new fresh air hoses, new plugs and wires. Also replaced all of the old fuel lines and put a filter under the car near the transmission. Today I set the points, timing, adjusted the valves, and changed the oil. I just bought him a year ago, and he was running great today with all of his new hardware!
It looks like my accelerator pump may be leaking a bit, so I have to order a rebuild kit for the Pict 30 - 2. The throttle positioner does not appear to be working, so a rebuild will be in order for that. I've also got a Retrosound Long Beach to install, so I need to order up some speakers for that and get some tunes happening soon. It's been 28 years since my last VW, and it's amazing how much I remembered!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veltror
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Drove my 73 cabrio, first long drive after a 4 year rebuild. original RHD U model, bought complete but worn out.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

I broke out the old 74 bug today and treated it to two new tires mounted on these 8 spoke EMPI wheels. Got complete set (4) EMPI’s at the annual all car hot rod show, very few VW parts but smokin deals when you find em. 60 bucks out the door.

I’m getting ready for a VW car show they will be having here June 1st. Busy tomorrow doing upper and lower ball joints and all tie rods, steering damper and a rebuilt gearbox. This should return the car to safe and steady as I’ve really been missing those high speed runs Very Happy
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

I drove my 1970 sedan today. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664950

Today I "opened up" both the idle mixture and volume screws exactly one-half turn on the Solex 30/31 PICT-3 carb on my 1600cc DP engine in my 1970 sedan. Then I drove it to softball (about 15 miles, and back afterwards), felt it was running significantly better.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Drove my '73 1303 to work this morning. I spent the end of last week and the weekend installing a Miata drivers seat in anticipation of an autocross event on the 19th. I am intending to install the passenger seat as well but didn't get to it so it was a little odd not having a seat next to me this morning.

H2OSB
exsystem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Since it was nice out and the start of the Memorial Day weekend I decided to drive the beetle to work today. This was the longest trip to date a total of 26.1 miles, just shy of the total amount of miles I drove this VW in 2018. LOL. The sad thing is all my coworkers who asked when I am going to bring it to work so they can see it ended up taking the day off for the holiday weekend. Crying or Very sad

The bug ran good, a little sketchy at times with the sliding ragtop open driving on the highway. When I got to the office I did the dipstick touch test and I was able to hold for a few seconds. I took the highway on the way in but looking to take the back road scenic route on the way home. Wish me luck!
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Is that on air or static?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

I took bug out to inspect tornado damage and flooding, yes we are in tornado alley with 231 reported in last ten days. In less than a week we’ve had two close calls which required taking shelter underground. The flooding is setting records and has not been this high since 1954, lots of noise and whitewater absolutely amazing. Did a round robin along riverside drive and racked up about 70 miles start to finish and I’ve got 4 new tires on the car along with fresh 8 spoke EMPI wheels.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 107, 108, 109  Next
Jump to:
Page 39 of 109

Jump to: