Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question about rust under 1974 Beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hindssm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:22 pm    Post subject: Question about rust under 1974 Beetle Reply with quote

I am looking at possibly buying a 1974 Beetle that mechanically seems great, and even most of the body looks good, but these rust spots underneath look bad. They are asking $3500 firm. How bad is this undercarriage?

I was sent here from Reddit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about rust under 1974 Beetle Reply with quote

Can you weld? Do you have room and tools to lift the body off the pan?
If not, you are looking at a few $1000s in bodywork.
I'd pass.
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
hindssm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about rust under 1974 Beetle Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Can you weld? Do you have room and tools to lift the body off the pan?
If not, you are looking at a few $1000s in bodywork.
I'd pass.

Darn. I could maybe invest $1000 to fix the pans, but not much more. Thats a shame, she is a beaut everywhere else.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about rust under 1974 Beetle Reply with quote

I would be suspicious of someone making it superficially "look like a beaut" and yet leave that mess underneath unresolved. "Lipstick on a pig"? There are probably many more hidden gremlins in that one.
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about rust under 1974 Beetle Reply with quote

Rusted out floor pans are common, fiberglass can patch, pan sections can patch, until you have the time and resources to replace

I would be concerned about rust on frame, tunnel, framehead, heater channels, fender wells, C-pillars (death foam) and body mounts.

Does it run and drive?
It’s a Super, hopefully it can be saved.

Good Luck
hindssm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about rust under 1974 Beetle Reply with quote

OTTO 1303 wrote:
Rusted out floor pans are common, fiberglass can patch, pan sections can patch, until you have the time and resources to replace

I would be concerned about rust on frame, tunnel, framehead, heater channels, fender wells, C-pillars (death foam) and body mounts.

Does it run and drive?
It’s a Super, hopefully it can be saved.

Good Luck

It runs great, has basically whole new engine. Transmission is really smooth. The only other rust on the thing at all is a little on the decklid. It has all original untouched paint.
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Question about rust under 1974 Beetle Reply with quote

This would not scare me, and you can try to get a little discount even if he is "firm" on his price. Never hurts to ask. Most beetles rust on the other side under the battery, and from the picture your battery side looks solid. The rust hole looks limited to the pan only, and I doubt you will find much better in Tennessee.
Good Luck
Tony P
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Question about rust under 1974 Beetle Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I would be suspicious of someone making it superficially "look like a beaut" and yet leave that mess underneath unresolved. "Lipstick on a pig"? There are probably many more hidden gremlins in that one.
THIS, THIS, and THIS! I'm curious if they "hid" death foam rust under some shiny paint... Pans are easy IF your a person who knows there way around cars and has repair skills. If not shop labor is going to cost, as well as getting close to 1K for just the parts alone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Question about rust under 1974 Beetle Reply with quote

tpinthepack wrote:
...from the picture your battery side looks solid...

to me it looks like the whole battery side rear floorpan is bent upwards inside the cabin...
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Question about rust under 1974 Beetle Reply with quote

Just from the picture, I see it needs pans, heater channel and some new body panels about 4 inches up, maybe 6”. I am betting there is WAY MORE rust lurking at the interior side and within the body cavities! That’s a $1200 car all day long!

BIG PROJECT! You need to have some free money around to pay to have it done or do it yourself, for around the same amount!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Schatzievw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Question about rust under 1974 Beetle Reply with quote

Rusted out floorpans is common and almost expected on old bugs. Not a big deal to replace the pans without removing body if you use quarter section pans ( total 4). Welding is the preferred method but pop rivets will work fine as long as you space them 2 inches apart. Then apply undercoating on both top and bottom.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about rust under 1974 Beetle Reply with quote

Lipstick on a pig, what rust you see there is a LOT more under it. If you must suffer make sure ALL the electrical works, electric on a rusted bug will drive you crazy. Look for something with a good body/pans and needs a motor/trans. much cheaper.
dopeboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about rust under 1974 Beetle Reply with quote

There's no such thing as a free lunch. A well cared-for or recently restored Beetle in the end condition you want will cost X. A poorly cared-for (or even normally cared-for) Beetle not in that condition will cost Y, and the difference between the two is Z. Z will be a larger number if you can't or don't want to do the work yourself to bring the car from Y condition to X condition. Also, the car is almost certainly farther from X condition than you think it is. Not this car in particular, just in general, it's pretty easy to hide PO sins that will pass all but the most rigorous inspections, which most buyers don't take the time to do, and most sellers don't have the patience for.

I apologize if this is a little nebulous, what I'm really getting at is, in all the used cars, boats, etc. that I've bought in my lifetime, which is actually an inordinately high number for being 31 years old, is if it seems like what you're buying should really be priced higher than it is, you've either got rose-colored glasses on, or someone has done a good job of hiding value-reducing problems.

There's a particular line in a Jim Croce song that comes to mind, about a car being held together by "wire and a couple of hunks of twine." Ironically, that cassette was jammed in my Beetle's radio when I bought it. Go figure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: