Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another Tire Question
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blakestuff21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Another Tire Question Reply with quote

I know there are a million tire threads, but this isn't about what size I should use, it's more general. I'm thinking about having a thicker taller tire in the back, but I don't want the height difference to be too noticeable, so my question is, when is the difference is size look drastic. Half an inch, inch, or two inches. Secondly, does this affect handling much?
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Another Tire Question Reply with quote

Off roaders like wider rears and narrow fronts. Who cares what it looks like. I run an even set of muds all around, and they daily driver handle, as well as have some mud/sand fun. What do intend to do with this set-up most?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Another Tire Question Reply with quote

Bigger tires will bog down the engine a bit and shift your shift points a little earlier to keep the revs up to keep the horsepower up. Of course this is and instant freeway flier as the engine is now spinning slower.

I found a pretty good site that gives the percent of change, width, height and a somewhat useful visual as to what the tire will look like.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=165-80r15-235-60r15
blakestuff21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Tire Question Reply with quote

This is strictly on road driving. Currently I'm running tires with a diameter of 25in and width of 8.5in, looks great in the rear but I have some rubbing in the front, and need to size down, so if I drop down to 23-24in, but leave rear as is would it be alright. Really I just don't want it to look like my car is head down and backside up.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Another Tire Question Reply with quote

I used this formula on a few vehicles:
(from the web)

Here's the formula for determining the diameter of a tire based on the
Standard size designations:
Diameter (in inches) = (2 * tire-width * aspect ratio / 25.4 ) + wheel rim size
The division by 25.4 is to convert mm to inches.

Using 205/60-15 as an example:
Tire width = 205 mm
Aspect Ratio = 60 (sidewall height is 60% of tire width)
or 0.6 * 205 = 123 mm
Wheel rim dia. = 15 inches
So the diameter of a 205/60-15 tire is = (2*205*0.6/25.4) + 15 = 24.69 inches

It works well, I looked at a few suggested tire sizes for my THING as when I got it I was running 205x70 R15's.
It looked ok but every time I'd get out my right foot would catch the door sill and kinda trip me up.
Plus my 85yr old dad couldn't get his leg up and over to get in so I dropped the tire hight a bit.
I went to either a 165 or 185 x 65 I believe (i'm at work cant verify)
but it dropped the THING about 2 to 3 inches at the windshield post
as when first purchased I couldn't look over the roof easy, it was exact eye level, but now I can.(and my foot don't catch anymore)!

But try it with your current size, get your calculation and take a manual measurement, then experiment with a few diff tire sizes with the formula, it may give you an idea of where the THING will be hight wise when you mount em.

Also, I must have been in the ballpark hight wise as it didn't really affect my speedo either, I've checked it with a GPS and it's about dead on somehow.

But Good luck! Let us know what ya go with.

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: