Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

got the exhaust header ceramic coated -- for the curious minds out there, it cost $175 to get it coated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

more progress -- all the detail work takes tons of time

finally, after about a thousand times taking the exhaust on and off, I finally put it on for good. Using copper gaskets and copper lock nuts.

Slapped toghether a breather out of an old EMPI one I had. Cast aluminum sucks for welding -- I'm willing to bet those welds are 100% sealed.

I might remake the whole thing if I notice it leaking, but it works for now

Got the shroud on for good as well, running full thermostat flaps with an OE thermostat.

Mounted the crank sensor -- using Mario's hall sensor.

Got my cam sensor in, using Mario's Mini Cam Sync

Heres the oil line routing I finally settled on. It gets cramped quickly with the turbo sitting there, so thats the best I could come up with. Using some heat covers to shield the lines from the exhaust heat.

theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

finalizing the plumbing and whatnot.

The fuel feed is 5/16 hardline than I ran through the tunnel and the return is the stock line.

Getting to mounting the fuel pump and filter

I'm using a Bosch 69136 pump that I wrapped in some closed cell foam. Two hose barbs, one for the tank outlet, and the other for the return. This worked in my previous setup, so we'll see how well it does with the fuel needs of a turbo'ed engine.

for a filter, I'm using a stock filter from a Subaru. I'm using a Mann-Filter 1030 Fuel Filter. I made a holder out of some 3" pipe, and it will be secured in the holder with some safety wire.

Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

I used 3/8" stainless for fuel. Will the stock line suffice for the return? Isn't it only 5mm?
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:
I used 3/8" stainless for fuel. Will the stock line suffice for the return? Isn't it only 5mm?

i want to say Mario said this setup was fine uptill like 300hp? I will have a fuel pressure sensor and will be monitoring see if I'm running out of supply or not getting consistent pressures.
widefivebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

theDrew wrote:
Dauz wrote:

i want to say Mario said this setup was fine uptill like 300hp? I will have a fuel pressure sensor and will be monitoring see if I'm running out of supply or not getting consistent pressures.

Yes, that's the same as he told me. I installed the new line through the tunnel and use the old line for return.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

If you think about it during idle and coast is when you are returning the most! If you can idle without loading up you should be fine. The more you mash the pedal the less it returns.I used the stock line for return for a long time.the biggest issue with fuel is to not put in a fuel pump that will feed 1000hp and only run 200hp it will overheat the fuel since it keeps returning and leans out the tune.you can see it with fuel pressure and shitty mileage because it turns your gas to fumes.....ask me how I know!!
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

well I might have missed my goal of getting this done and driving this summer -- having a 1yro keeps you focused on more important non-toy things Smile

I'm basically ready to try and fire it up once I get all the wiring done. In the back of the manx, I have an aluminum box that will hold all the wiring and guts for the engine. The box has a floor that removable, and thats what all the wiring is mounted to.

The key requirement is I can disconnect everything and pull the wiring board out to futz with it as I see fit. I'm a computer engineer by trade, so I made up some breakout boards to Molex MiniFitJr connectors. The same board can be used in 3 different configurations, so its pretty versatile.

I'm using all TXL auto grade wire. (same as the harness from DIYautotune) 20 gauge for the sensors. 16 gauge for the power/gnd to the coils. I'm using some Leash Electronics relay boards. Also have JPerf's TinyIox to handle the ADC inputs for the thermocouple amplifiers.

Heres it all somewhat complete:

Fired up the MS3X and loaded up the latest firmware (1.5.0), and tested most of my connections on the bench.

About ready to get the engine in and actually fire it up for the first time!
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

I put all my MS stuff under the hood.......but I can pull my hood in about 30 seconds with two bolts.....

It makes it so much easier for my old eyes to see the connectors without having to crawl in or underneath something to upgrade the wiring......
It also keeps it dry when I get caught in the rain.

I also have a bluetooth connector for my ECU to laptop. It is sooo nice to just set the computer on the seat and have it connect when I turn the key on. Wink

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:

I also have a bluetooth connector for my ECU to laptop. It is sooo nice to just set the computer on the seat and have it connect when I turn the key on. Wink

Nice wiring. I hope mine will look that clean. I'm with ya on the ease of change, thats what I'm shooting for.

yeah, I got one of those bluetooth things too.....
Blasted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

Great work, will be be keeping an eye on it.
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

Wow!
That does look really neat and serviceable.
I had to stuff my squirt and relays just anywhere they would fit (engine is in a motorcycle style frame).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

getting to the bitter end here.

Done working on it for today, but hoping to get it started this week

Link

theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

cranked it without the plugs in to primed the oil system -- using Brad Penn 5w30

ready to fire up!

I wanna check over everything one more time, then I'll get try and get it started.

SO CLOSE!
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

If it runs as good as it looks, you have some good times coming your way! Nice job!
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

It lives!

Went through the break-in, drove it around the block. YES!

Got one oil drip to sort out, but now I gotta get the fuel maps in order.

I gotta futz with a few things, re adjust the valves etc, but hey, it works!

Link

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

Cool Cool Cool
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
pondervwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

WOW! All those electronics make my head hurt. Good job man!
1997 Jeep Cherokee
2127cc build thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=681556&highlight=
widefivebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

Nice job, it sure looks nice. I would like to add a turbo to mine once I get it all sorted out.
rubenski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

Nice build!

Maybe a dumb question,

Why do you have a triggerwheel setup AND a cam sensor?

Cant you use the cam sensor to tell the ecu the engine position? Why is a triggerwheel needed then?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 14

Jump to: