Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

Quote:
So now one is pre-T, and the other two are just above the plenums.

Might want to read snow performances documentation -- they recommended NOT doing a nozzle pre turbo as it errodes the turbine fin edges based on some study SAAB did.

Thanks for the info!
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

theDrew wrote:
Quote:
So now one is pre-T, and the other two are just above the plenums.

Might want to read snow performances documentation -- they recommended NOT doing a nozzle pre turbo as it errodes the turbine fin edges based on some study SAAB did.

Thanks for the info!

I did a ton of research on that. Many opinions on both sides of the argument. Like I said, in the end, I chose not to. When I said pre T, i meant pre-t section of the intake, after the intercooler.
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

well I seem to have reached a milestone in my tuning -- I can make clutch slip.

I have a KEP stage 1 with a copperhead disc. I'm leery to go to a Stage 2 as it might be to harsh.

Maybe theres a stage 1.5?
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

I’m using a Stage II AND CB Super disc and .031 shims between flywheel and PP.
Holds to 250 ft lbs plus using a torque wrench.
My turbo engine was slipping the Stage I at 22 lbs boost.

It’s been working nicely all summer.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:

The disc is what causes a clutch to be aggressive in my experience. The pp just helps it stay stuck. Stg 2 is a little heavier on the foot than a stg 1, but not bad, if you switch to a long arm on the transmission, you won't really notice the difference in the PP on the foot. It will hold better once the engine starts making torque though. I used to run the Copperhead's big brother the nla Diamondback with a stg 3. That was an awesome combo, very drivable, but held well too. It eventually stopped holding(after 5 years). I tried a couple other things with the stg 3, but nothing would give similar results. I switched to a stg 2 and RLR Black Magic disc. Still drivable, though not as good as the old combo in stop and go,once it heats up, but it does give me the high rpm hold that nothing else would. I'm gonna stick with it for now. I don't think you need to go there with your setup unless you plan to really turn up the boost. Something similar to clones setup might be nice, and I'm sure its drivable.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

Chip B. wrote:
clonebug wrote:

The disc is what causes a clutch to be aggressive in my experience. The pp just helps it stay stuck. Stg 2 is a little heavier on the foot than a stg 1, but not bad, if you switch to a long arm on the transmission, you won't really notice the difference in the PP on the foot. It will hold better once the engine starts making torque though. I used to run the Copperhead's big brother the nla Diamondback with a stg 3. That was an awesome combo, very drivable, but held well too. It eventually stopped holding(after 5 years). I tried a couple other things with the stg 3, but nothing would give similar results. I switched to a stg 2 and RLR Black Magic disc. Still drivable, though not as good as the old combo in stop and go,once it heats up, but it does give me the high rpm hold that nothing else would. I'm gonna stick with it for now. I don't think you need to go there with your setup unless you plan to really turn up the boost. Something similar to clones setup might be nice, and I'm sure its drivable.

Adding a longer Throwout arm kept the effort just about the same as a Stage I.
I did have some slight chatter at first but it has gone away after some miles and is pretty smooth now.
I do have to push the clutch pedal ALL the way in for good disengagement on most shifts but I'm pretty well used to it if I drive the buggy every day.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

thanks for the input -- I think I'll step up to the Stage 2 pp, and maybe run a diakin disc.....or maybe stick with my copperhead. Unsure

Either my main seal is leaking or the cam plug....either way I was going to pull the motor to address it, so I'll swap the clutch/pp then.

Took me a while to figure out why my RPM's would go sky high at points in the power band and then it finally donned on me! I just thought my wheels were slipping.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

You were rotating the earth! Cool

I have a stage II and a Daiken. Very pleased. Holds 235 hp no problem. And streetable as heck.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
Chase1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

I was just wondering if you started to tune the accel enrichment? I finally got my project up and running and was having issues with a pretty big off idle stumble. Here is what I did, let me know if this is similar to how you guys did it.

I lowered my accel TPSdot threshold to 20.0 as I had some noise in my TPSdot of 5.8% when idling (I assume it has to do with the wiring close to the coil wiring; I'll get this fixed later). This number will probably be lower once I get more testing done. I left everything else the same. Another point is that I'm not using any MAP based AE correction at this point (or ever).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

Here are my current settings, I'd say there pretty good for my setup, I dont see big dips or spikes in the AFR when I punch the throttle.

First things first, do you have some type of restrictor for the MAP signal to help smooth it out? Otherwise this will be a tough task if you have a noisy signal.
I'm using a MIG tip (.035" i think) to help smooth the signal.

Next, I've found the best method is to go to a parking lot somewhere (so you dont annoy the neighbors) and turn all the AE off and then slowly start turning it up until the engine doesn't stumble and you dont see the AFR go crazy. First to tiny stabs on the throttle, get those right and then slowly make them bigger. Engines are pretty linear so you can start to see the trends once you have a few working data points.

Good luck!

58ragman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

theDrew wrote:
well I seem to have reached a milestone in my tuning -- I can make clutch slip.

I have a KEP stage 1 with a copperhead disc. I'm leery to go to a Stage 2 as it might be to harsh.

Maybe theres a stage 1.5?

use a stage 1 KEP with a RLR black magic disc

too harsh even the 1700 KEp stage 1 then get a

RLR rev 6 clutch system the pedal is butter smooth and baby pessure easy to press its phenominal
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

Stage 2 with a daiken. Done.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

I think I'm going the cheapest route for me at this point which is Stage 2 with a diakin disc (already have one)

I also noticed one of my rhino engine mounts if split in half...so add that to the list when i take it out.
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

guys -- I'm seeing something that I can't explain yet.

After a big pull, I see my oil pressure drop considerably for a moment and then return to normal pressure.

its strange that it only happens AFTER I let off the throttle.

see here (white is OP, red is RPM) -- spun it up to 7k, pressure is pegging out my sensor (60psi sensor), then I let off the throttle, the OP drops to 3psi for 0.3s and then bounces back

its never happened DURING a pull, just after I close the throttle plate.

I have a deep sump, and my oil level is to the top dipstick mark.

can anyone explain this to me?

jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

theDrew wrote:

I also noticed one of my rhino engine mounts if split in half...so add that to the list when i take it out.

That saddens me. I just put new Rhino mounts in thinking they wouldn’t do this. The urethane mounts they replaced basically crumbled to nothing.
Oh well. There’s the ideal and then there’s what you can deal with.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

I'm tempted to wonder if the oil feed to the turbo is messing with the sensor after the engine RPMs come down (but the turbo still has yet to come down all the way), but I don't know how plausible that is.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

Towel Rail wrote:
I'm tempted to wonder if the oil feed to the turbo is messing with the sensor after the engine RPMs come down (but the turbo still has yet to come down all the way), but I don't know how plausible that is.

I should add, my sensor is on the AN-8 oil feed line after the filter and cooler
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

finally got around to swapping the pressure plate.

Doing a Stage 2 with a diakin disc.

pulled off the flywheel, inspected the thrust bearing, changed the main seal and checked the end play. Nice to see its still where I set it.

all the wires, hoses and sensors make pulling the engine a bit of a chore!

clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

Make sure you try to test the disc and pressure plate before putting it back together.
I tried a Daiken Disc with the Stage II PP and it slipped almost as bad as the Stage I with my CB Super Disc.

I ended up taking the engine out again and testing the discs with a torque wrench and transmission input shaft that I welded a big nut onto the end.

The Stage I and CB super disc held 165 ft. lbs torque on the wrench.
The Stage II and Daiken disc held 175 ft. lbs. torque on the wrench.
I ended up using the Stage II and my original CB Super Disc and adding 0.031 inch shims between the PP and the Fly wheel.
That brought the holding torque all the way up to 250 ft. lbs. on the wrench which also maxed the wrench out...... and it hasn't slipped at 24 lbs boost.

I just pull the body on my buggy to make it much easier for my old lard *ss to work on it.
There is NO room to get at anything without doing that.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

d5626
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the rabbit hole -- 2276 MS3X Turbo build Reply with quote

Mine slipped a little above 12psi when using the stage2 w/daiken, what a pain pulling motor again to put in the cb disk. No problem since.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: