Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Finally fixing the hot start problem on a 78 Fuel Injected
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
clicknathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Finally fixing the hot start problem on a 78 Fuel Injected Reply with quote

I've had a ton of trouble with my starter over the past few months.

A mechanic took it apart, and said it was fried. He couldn't get me a new one, so I ordered one from Bus Depot and installed it myself.

Which fixed the problem...sort of. I could now start the vehicle again, when cold.

However, I've got the hot start problem. I've read quite a bit but can't find a definitive, "here's everything you need to do".

Some facts:

1. When I installed the starter, it didn't come with a new bushing. The old one looked to be in very good condition, however, and was possibly a replacement a previous mechanic installed when working with it. I cannot contact this mechanic because such things are impossible in Mexico, where I tend to reside.

2. The top bolt was a bit loose after 1000 miles or so, so I tightened it again. This caused the starter to work much more quickly (when cold) but also had the side effect of causing a squealing noise.

3. If I use a wrench to connect to the two terminals that are screws on the solenoid, the starter spins, key on or off. If I connect the terminal to the other part of the solenoid with the flat connectors, which go to battery/ignition, it doesn't spin, it just "clunks" once or twice.

4. I am coming to realize what a double relay is, and this is the thing in the picture below (image from http://en.allexperts.com/q/Volkswagen-Repair-833/2008/11/78-bus-fuel-injection-1.htm)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mine is clearly old. The "b" and "a" markings in that photo, on mine, are held into the Double Relay via duct tape.

5. I replaced the ignition switch about a week or two ago.

6. Aside from the starting issue, after I drive for awhile, say 2 hours in the heat or up mountains, she craps out. She'll start to sputter a bit, and when I get to a slow spot, like a stop light, I'll go to push the pedal and everything will just shut down. I wouldn't think this had to do with the starter (once the motor's going, the starter is on vacation until next time you need to start it right?), but once it dies, and is hot, I can't start it again.

SO, TO MY PRIMARY QUESTIONS:

I want to fix this. I'm tired of stalling out / breaking down in heavy traffic and crawling under there to bang on the solenoid and connect the terminals manually. I'm tired of crawling around on the ground just to get it started in general. My approach today, to achieve this, will be:

A. take out the starter and solenoid and test it as per the John Muir book guidelines.

B. Order a new double relay to replace the duct tape setup I've got now. I don't see one on Bus Depot so if anyone knows a good source, that ships to Mexico, I'd appreciate the tip.

C. What about the thing on the right that plugs into the Injector Ballast resistors? What's it called and should I get a new one of those too?

D. Be happy if A works out, and satisfied that my new ignition switch isn't the problem (without knowing for sure it isn't though...maybe the info I've given can help clarify that?)

Anyone have any additional advice on what else I might dig through? I'm probably forgetting something here, so the more input the better. I have no problem crawling under her to fix and test and replace things as needed, from the comfort of the grassy patch she's parked on now, I just don't want to do it on the freeway / rush hour traffic anymore.

Thanks in advance!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Finally fixing the hot start problem on a 78 Fuel Injected Reply with quote

Do NOT attempt to test the starter when removed from the vehicle! The bushing in the bellhousing supports the starter shaft when the solenoid engages and moves the gear into contact with the flywheel.

If you engage the solenoid with the starter removed from the bellhousing, there is nothing to support the starter shaft which can destroy the internal electric motor components of the starter.

Also, the double relay has not a damn thing to do with a sticky solenoid or non-functioning starter.

You should probably perform a voltage drop test at terminal 50 on the starter when cranking and see what voltage you're getting there relative to battery voltage.

You may wish to consider adding a hot start relay so that the current to activate the solenoid is not routed from battery -> ignition switch -> back to solenoid. The relay shunts that current direct from battery to solenoid which using the ignition switch to activate the relay.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Finally fixing the hot start problem on a 78 Fuel Injected Reply with quote

Has the TSII been tested to confirm it's happy?

If it starts fine when cold but fails when warm, perhaps it's flooding it with gas thinking it's cold still due to a faulty TSII sensor and a rather rich setup at the AFM.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Finally fixing the hot start problem on a 78 Fuel Injected Reply with quote

clicknathan wrote:
2. The top bolt was a bit loose after 1000 miles or so, so I tightened it again. This caused the starter to work much more quickly (when cold) but also had the side effect of causing a squealing noise.

3. If I use a wrench to connect to the two terminals that are screws on the solenoid, the starter spins, key on or off. If I connect the terminal to the other part of the solenoid with the flat connectors, which go to battery/ignition, it doesn't spin, it just "clunks" once or twice.

There's a whole lot of clues there, could be a bad or wrong bushing binding up when everything warms and expands.

The dying is something separate and unrelated to the starter, the double relay could be playing a part, bad connections can never be trusted. When it dies hot and you try to start it but it only goes "clunk", do you hear the fuel pump whirring ?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Finally fixing the hot start problem on a 78 Fuel Injected Reply with quote

X2 above - double relay is not related to a starter issue.

If the starter solenoid 'clicks' when you apply power to the solenoid connection, but the starter doesn't turn, then the issue is probably inside the starter itself, not outside.

- the solenoid must be able to force the drive gear into mesh with the flywheel. This means the mechanism must be clean, properly lubricated, and otherwise free to move. Disassemble, inspect, clean and lube as needed. Don't forget to check the pilot bushing in the bell housing.

- once the drive gear is in mesh with the flywheel, a heavy duty set of contacts inside the solenoid must make contact to supply power to the starter motor. This will result in 12 volts appearing on the solenoid lug which the starter motor wire is connected to. Measure this voltage. If is isn't there (or is low in value), replace the solenoid.

- Once power is applied to the motor, it must pass through a pair of heavy duty brushes to the motor armature. These brushes must be greater than a minimum length to make a positive contact with the motor commutator. The brush holders must be clean so the brushes can move easily. The springs which provide brush pressure must be viable. The commutator must be clean and smooth, without shorts and copper crap between the segments. Disassemble the starter motor, inspect and clean everything. Replace the brushes as needed (if you can find replacements). Check everything and reassemble.

A failure anywhere along this chain of events will result in a starter motor which doesn't perform on command. It's a matter of isolating the cause and repairing it.

Due to the dismal quality of "rebuilt" units, if you have a genuine Bosch starter in reasonably good condition, I'd recommend reworking it yourself first, rather than replacing it with poor quality crap.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clicknathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Finally fixing the hot start problem on a 78 Fuel Injected Reply with quote

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll quote each of you and reply below!

Quote:
If the starter solenoid 'clicks' when you apply power to the solenoid connection, but the starter doesn't turn, then the issue is inside the starter itself, not outside.

Referring to when I connect the two bolts or when I connect the ignition/batter connection to the one bolt on the solenoid?

Here's an image I found somewhere to help me illustrate everything that happens.

Just went back under. When I connect the stuff in green on that image (two screw in bolts on solenoid), the starter spins but doesn't try and start the motor.

When I connect the flat terminals to the round bolt, it clunks hard twice and then does try and start the engine. Note that this is all while the engine is cold and if I go in and start it up from inside, she starts up perfectly, no problems.

I also did a reading as per the yellow part, it reads a pretty steady 12.36.

I guess maybe I should try all of this when it's hot / doesn't want to start. I have done the first step, getting the solenoid to spin the starter, before, and that indeed seems to solve the problem sometimes. On the other hand, it may just be due to the 5 - 10 minutes it takes me to get the Bus out of traffic by pushing or coasting, getting my tools out, and getting underneath there. It may be enough time for whatever to cool a bit to fix the problem temporarily.

My deduction then seems to be that the starter and solenoid are in functioning order, as well as the switch, since this problem only happens after about 2 hours or so of driving.

Quote:
Has the TSII been tested to confirm it's happy?

This is the first I've heard of said device. Looking into it shortly to see what I can find out.

Quote:
Also, the double relay has not a damn thing to do with a sticky solenoid or non-functioning starter. ... You may wish to consider adding a hot start relay so that the current to activate the solenoid is not routed from battery -> ignition switch -> back to solenoid. The relay shunts that current direct from battery to solenoid which using the ignition switch to activate the relay.

Ah, that's probably where my initial confusion came from, both with the term "relay". Anyway, is this correct? http://www.busdepot.com/wr1

And I found this page about installing it, which seems straighforward enough. http://www.type2.com/bartnik/relay.htm

Will order that and give it all a whirl.

Quote:
When it dies hot and you try to start it but it only goes "clunk", do you hear the fuel pump whirring ?

This is not something I've specifically listened for and as this tends to happen in traffic or on the side of a busy highway, the ambient noise was akin to something AC/DC may have performed at some point. I will definitely try and listen for it next time.
clicknathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally fixing the hot start problem on a 78 Fuel Injected Reply with quote

Regarding the Temperature Sensor II...is it the wire that runs from the coil into the hole behind the distributor that checks the oil?

As in, the green thing near top left going into the hole as shown in this picture?

If so, how does one go about testing it? The John Muir book asks me to take a reading on various pins, but I have no clue where those might be?

Or how VOM at Rx1 translates to my particular OHM meter, which looks like this:

sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally fixing the hot start problem on a 78 Fuel Injected Reply with quote

clicknathan wrote:
Regarding the Temperature Sensor II...is it the wire that runs from the coil into the hole behind the distributor that checks the oil?

As in, the green thing near top left going into the hole as shown in this picture?

No. That is the oil pressure switch for the oil light on the dash. Also you are missing a rubber boot there that is supposed to seal up that hole in the tin so as not to lose valuable cooling air into the engine compartment.

TSII is mounted to the left cylinder head if I recall correctly in the vicinity of the #3 cylinder.
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally fixing the hot start problem on a 78 Fuel Injected Reply with quote

When the top bolt was loose,was the starter also loose,could you move the starter before you tighten the bolt,if yes then it may have damaged the starter.also have you checked the ground strap at the front of the transmission.Battery voltage at the starter should be the same as it is at the battery.12.36 is low.should be 12.6 or more.
When you short across the 2 stud terminals and the starter free wheels then it works ok with the key also points to a damaged/faulty starter.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally fixing the hot start problem on a 78 Fuel Injected Reply with quote

Quote:

Just went back under. When I connect the stuff in green on that image (two screw in bolts on solenoid), the starter spins but doesn't try and start the motor.

Correct. The motor is being activated but the solenoid which pushes the drive gear into the flywheel is not.

Quote:
When I connect the flat terminals to the round bolt, it clunks hard twice and then does try and start the engine. Note that this is all while the engine is cold and if I go in and start it up from inside, she starts up perfectly, no problems.

Good, but not a fair test. The test needs to be done when it's hot and not starting. We already know it starts when cold.

Quote:
I also did a reading as per the yellow part, it reads a pretty steady 12.36.

That voltage is acceptable, and shows the ignition switch is delivering adequate current to the solenoid. I'm really interested in the reading taken on the stud closest to the starter (the upper stud in the picture) when attempting to crank but it is not starting.

Quote:
I guess maybe I should try all of this when it's hot / doesn't want to start.

Yup.

To be clear: when the engine 'fails to start when hot', does the engine crank normally but just not light off, or does it fail to crank? [These are two totally different problems, so we need to be clear which one you're fighting.]
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally fixing the hot start problem on a 78 Fuel Injected Reply with quote

Try this next time it fails to crank when hot. Slide under and attach one end of a jumper cable to the starter housing and the other to the battery negative. Then see if it cranks.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally fixing the hot start problem on a 78 Fuel Injected Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Try this next time it fails to crank when hot. Slide under and attach one end of a jumper cable to the starter housing and the other to the battery negative. Then see if it cranks.

Good advice. The solenoid on my '77 would just click for about three seconds before engaging when first turning the key when cold. Hot it always worked fine. The problem was a poor ground which I detected just as Gary mentioned. May not be your problem but it definitely won't hurt to check. Good luck.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
clicknathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally fixing the hot start problem on a 78 Fuel Injected Reply with quote

Quote:
To be clear: when the engine 'fails to start when hot', does the engine crank normally but just not light off, or does it fail to crank? [These are two totally different problems, so we need to be clear which one you're fighting.]

The engine does do anything, the starter doesn't even turn when I turn the key. Nothing happens. I can still go under and connect them manually with a screwdriver or I prefer a wrench as it's easier to do it, which spins the starter, and then I can get back in and turn it over with the key (usually, though as I noted earlier, I don't know if this is actually solving the problem, because it doesn't always, or if it's just a matter of the 5 - 15 minutes it takes me to get off the road, out of the vehicle, a wrench and crawl under there, maybe giving things enough time to cool down.
clicknathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally fixing the hot start problem on a 78 Fuel Injected Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
No. That is the oil pressure switch for the oil light on the dash. Also you are missing a rubber boot there that is supposed to seal up that hole in the tin so as not to lose valuable cooling air into the engine compartment.

TSII is mounted to the left cylinder head if I recall correctly in the vicinity of the #3 cylinder.

Thanks for that info, will look for the TSII shortly.

Regarding the hole in the tin, are you referring to the picture above with my distributor and the oil pressure switch? I don't see a hole. Do you mean a rubber boot that goes on / around the oil pressure switch itself?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally fixing the hot start problem on a 78 Fuel Injected Reply with quote

The TSII looks something like the black wire here... with a 13mm head. Clean the electrical connection really well. Mr. 13mm Grear Wrench is your friend.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally fixing the hot start problem on a 78 Fuel Injected Reply with quote

clicknathan wrote:

Regarding the hole in the tin, are you referring to the picture above with my distributor and the oil pressure switch? I don't see a hole. Do you mean a rubber boot that goes on / around the oil pressure switch itself?

This is the part you're missing:

http://www.busdepot.com/021119957
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Finally fixing the hot start problem on a 78 Fuel Injected Reply with quote

Maybe I missed it, but have you cleaned all connections? Try unbolting your negative cable where it bolts to the body and clean that end up and shine up the body metal that it contacts. It is often overlooked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
clicknathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Finally fixing the hot start problem on a 78 Fuel Injected Reply with quote

lil-jinx wrote:
When the top bolt was loose,was the starter also loose,could you move the starter before you tighten the bolt,if yes then it may have damaged the starter.also have you checked the ground strap at the front of the transmission.Battery voltage at the starter should be the same as it is at the battery.12.36 is low.should be 12.6 or more.
When you short across the 2 stud terminals and the starter free wheels then it works ok with the key also points to a damaged/faulty starter.

No, the starter wouldn't budge at all, even before I tightened the bolt.

Voltage at the battery is 12.8 though.
clicknathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally fixing the hot start problem on a 78 Fuel Injected Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
Maybe I missed it, but have you cleaned all connections? Try unbolting your negative cable where it bolts to the body and clean that end up and shine up the body metal that it contacts. It is often overlooked.

Hi Tom and thanks! I have cleaned all of the connections just a week ago.
clicknathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally fixing the hot start problem on a 78 Fuel Injected Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:

This is the part you're missing:

http://www.busdepot.com/021119957

Thank you, have it headed my way now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: