Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Poor planning on their part if they didn't have an emergency contingency for getting home. I'm a little with Notchboy on this one. You had a dream, your dream got crushed (literally), you chalk it up to "life's a bitch" and go home to try again some other day. Not ask people to give up their hard earned coin so you can continue living YOUR dream. My job slowed down this past fall leaving me somewhat short on cash so I have had to put off the next steps of my restoration indefinitely. I'll have to give it some time, reassess in a few years and take it from there. I don't start a gofundme account.

Id buy you a beer if you were here Wink Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
Poor planning on their part if they didn't have an emergency contingency for getting home. I'm a little with Notchboy on this one. You had a dream, your dream got crushed (literally), you chalk it up to "life's a bitch" and go home to try again some other day. Not ask people to give up their hard earned coin so you can continue living YOUR dream. My job slowed down this past fall leaving me somewhat short on cash so I have had to put off the next steps of my restoration indefinitely. I'll have to give it some time, reassess in a few years and take it from there. I don't start a gofundme account.

Id buy you a beer if you were here Wink Laughing

I'd accept if I drank. Lol.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

I tend to agree. Not wishing hardship on anyone......but this is like going to Vegas when you have a gambling fetish......and not having your plane ticket and cab fare to the airport pre-paid and locked in the hotel safe.

Learned that one years ago from a cab driver in Vdgas who was pointing out the guy in a business suit doing the multi-mile "walk of shame" to McCarran airport in 85 degree weather dragging his suitcase......probably because he spent his cabfare on gambling or hookers.

If the trip itself wae their dream they should have had unspendable plane fare credit put aside. They could have had a family problem and needed to return home immediately.

If the bus itself was precious....they should have had it jnsured to the hilt AND had return tickets set aside.

If they are young and naive.....ok....still......but I have little sympathy. I ranted ahout this a couple years ago before I just gave up on the bus forum......but hardly a week goes by without a frantic "help" posting from some starry eyed modern hippy who left home on a 9,000 mile round trip to find Shambala.....in a used craigs list bus.....with no tools......no maintenance....no knowledge.....just a pair of headphones...his old lady and a bag of weed.

Rolling Eyes Wink
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
.......... some starry eyed modern hippy who left home on a 9,000 mile round trip to find Shambala.....in a used craigs list bus.....with no tools......no maintenance....no knowledge.....just a pair of headphones...his old lady and a bag of weed.

You forgot the dog and surfboard, and the video camera so everyone else can follow along from the couch. Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:

Careful man, you're sounding like a resposible adult.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

Please define your terms Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:

Trust me I could rail on about this for hours. Yet they already have $6200+ in their gofundme account. I'm so sick of people with their hands out asking for money. From fundraising to "homeless" people on every corner here it becomes maddening at times. Why should I donate money for something I don't want so YOUR kid can participate in an expensive hobby? I remember a day when, I know it's crazy talk, if we wanted to do something we paid for it. We didn't stand around selling crap or begging for money. I was raised by a single mom and there were things we couldn't afford. It was that simple. We didn't stand in front of the grocery store asking for other people to fund our hobbies. Maybe I should hang out there with my Bug and a bucket asking for the $5-7k I'm getting quoted to repaint my car? Seems to be how life works these days. Oh yeah, because I have pride and don't expect someone else to pay my damn bills. So instead, I'll end up most likely driving it the way it is until I can save the money up or possibly rig up a homegrown paint booth in my garage and do it myself so I can be self sufficient.

Ugh.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
.......... some starry eyed modern hippy who left home on a 9,000 mile round trip to find Shambala.....in a used craigs list bus.....with no tools......no maintenance....no knowledge.....just a pair of headphones...his old lady and a bag of weed.

You forgot the dog and surfboard, and the video camera so everyone else can follow along from the couch. Wink

Very Happy Laughing ...actually you are SO RIGHT......how could I forget?.....the "modern" hippy...would never be caught dead without their $500 smart phone for Snap-chat shots and GPS service....or without their $1,000 worth of GoPro equipment.... for documenting the whole (usually) painful and giddy process of breaking down every 150 miles......simply because they spent no money on tools or maintenance. Wink Ray
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

Yet they already have $6200+ in their gofundme account. I'm so sick of people with their hands out asking for money.
Ugh.

Shocked Brick wall

So seriously, who wants to fund the completion of my 74? I have most of the parts, just need labor if that helps you out?

Rolling Eyes

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

Yet they already have $6200+ in their gofundme account. I'm so sick of people with their hands out asking for money.
Ugh.

Shocked Brick wall

So seriously, who wants to fund the completion of my 74? I have most of the parts, just need labor if that helps you out?

Rolling Eyes

You've got the order all wrong, get it limping along, start a thread about your multi-national "see where it leads me" trek across the continents, video all your breakdowns, have one of your buddies start a fund-the-beggars page & use all the money to buy the latest gadgets (those drones are the shit to show off the remoteness of your situation) to get better video of your exploits & then show up to club meets to mooch more free food & repairs. And after all that, misappropriate the donated funds to goad other enthusiasts into funding someone else's misfortunes.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
notchboy wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

Ugh.

Shocked Brick wall

Rolling Eyes

You've got the order all wrong, get it limping along, start a thread about your multi-national "see where it leads me" trek across the continents, video all your breakdowns, have one of your buddies start a fund-the-beggars page & use all the money to buy the latest gadgets to get better video of your exploits & then show up to club meets to mooch more free food & repairs.

You forgot a free place to stay because God forbid you spend money on a hotel.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
notchboy wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

Ugh.

Shocked Brick wall

Rolling Eyes

You've got the order all wrong, get it limping along, start a thread about your multi-national "see where it leads me" trek across the continents, video all your breakdowns, have one of your buddies start a fund-the-beggars page & use all the money to buy the latest gadgets to get better video of your exploits & then show up to club meets to mooch more free food & repairs.

You forgot a free place to stay because God forbid you spend money on a hotel.

This is the stuff I expect to see. Id put them up for a couple of days, feed them, habla with them and what not. Counsel on US law as I know it and or insurance junk. Thats what we do as human beings. Im just not seeing this impoverished downtrodden shit situation that deserves a go fund me reaction.

Its the lack of understanding the situation that urks me. What will my $10 donate do? Whats the $6200 plus do? Right now they are on track to buy a decent runner Shocked Laughing

Im just sayin if you want some $ then at least sell me on it. There are plenty of other ways to help these people as well that do not require $.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

Or they could just go home.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:

Shocked Twisted Evil

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

Well, I did it.. I sent them $10k to their go fund me page that I was promised by the Nigerian Prince after I cashed his check and mailed him back the difference.

Ok, no I didn't.. Laughing

I think the "go fund me" trend has gotten way out of hand. There are certainly situations where it's genuine and needed like treatment for a sick child.

I recently saw a go fund me for a HS friends Dad to get hearing aids on Facebook. This is a big family with lots of kids in it. I guess it was easier for them to ask for everyone else to pay for their Dads hearing aids vs. paying for it themselves.

I've donated to lots of worthy causes in the past that were vetted before hand. Funding someones lifestyle choice will never be one of them.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

Shocked Twisted Evil

Laughing Applause

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

oh look, another soup kitchen thread....

yea, the situation sucks. I feel for them. but no back up plan is not cool.....and not my problem.

I guess all of a sudden because someone owns a bus/bug etc the samba family is almost expected to come to the rescue. i would (and have) help regulars here, not the nut swinging passers thru....i mean the real vw people.not just people who exploit the marque

I suppose if notchbutts house burnt down I could send him some unwashed undies and socks.

just remember when you get them yellow in the front, brown in the back, and you can feel free to flip them inside out if you like.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

I find it counter-intuitive....these massive "pilgrimage/lifestyle" trips that far too many ACVW owners in general...and bus owners in specific....embark on.

If its the "dream trip"...the one you have been wanting to take forever....you PLAN FOR IT.

This means you plan for contingencies. The level of planning should be commensurate with what is important to you...like:

1. If its strictly for the experience of driving a bus through another country (see the sights, live the spartan life, capture memories, experience the bus lifestyle)....but no matter what...you plan to get home alive.
You pack duplicates of documents. You have emergency travel money (plane ticket credit), extra camera, some contact somewhere in the country of choice...all of these things.
With this type of thing...the bus/vehicle is secondary. Get out with your memories and life even if the bus gets sold or lost.

2. When the bus is a part of your life you cannot bear to lose.....insure it to the hilt, Make sure you have insurance that works wherever you go. Make sure the bus is mechanically excellent. Pack tools and parts.....have the ability to use them. Be self sufficient and assume that you may not have help when you need it.

....and all of the rules from #1 apply as well. Have the ability to get home if the bus is lost.

3. If the experience of seeing and traveling in another country is the most important thing....and the bus and the lifestyle experience is just another accessory possession.....expendable in an emergency......MOST of the rules from #2 and all of the rules from #1 still apply.

Insure the bus carefully. If it gets lost...have the ability (money) to store or ship home unneeded possessions, the ability to either return home (plane or train ticket) or the ability to rent a car and pay for hotels and campsites to finish your once in a lifetime trip.

I fully understand the "trip of a lifetime" vibe.....but the trip of a lifetime takes planning.

This is not 50 years ago...anywhere in this world for that matter.
The American highway system (or any highway system for that matter)...is not a Buddhist pilgrimage trail where a stop at every shrine entails a free meal and shelter paid for by the kindness of devout strangers......neither is this 1968 on a Grateful Dead junket ...where every roadside camping spot with another VW owner in sight will contain oodles of people willing to share their parts, weed or a veggie burrito.

Soup Kitchen mentality I think is a good term. Ray
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

Anyone considering such an epic road trip should read up on Shackleton and the Endurance. Or Robert Scott's last adventure.
Only then start planning the trip.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
So seriously, who wants to fund the completion of my 74?

hey, screw you! you already have a bus!
i need people to fund me so i can buy a bus so i can live the dream, MAN!

p.s. have they called Ron Bell yet?

raygreenwood wrote:
This is not 50 years ago...anywhere in this world for that matter.
The American highway system (or any highway system for that matter)...is not a Buddhist pilgrimage trail where a stop at every shrine entails a free meal and shelter paid for by the kindness of devout strangers......neither is this 1968 on a Grateful Dead junket ...where every roadside camping spot with another VW owner in sight will contain oodles of people willing to share their parts, weed or a veggie burrito.

Ray, this is beautiful. i wish this could be made into a permanently displayed header when you go into the Bay Bus forum. thank you!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: