Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Corvair/IRS set ups
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Corvair/IRS set ups Reply with quote

Guys,

I've a few questions about the above.

Before i get to those, a little about my set up. 64, 110 Corvair engine, rebuilt, running standard rotation using a swing axle chassis/gearbox with a flipped diff.

Looking ahead to where I'd like to be with my buggy, I'd love to run it with IRS. Can only be a huge benefit in a shortened pan with all that weight at the rear (bit like a pendulum at the moment!) Porsche arms, brakes etc.

Now, problem i have is i don't think a diff can be flipped in an IRS box, unless it's an early one with twin side plates? Please correct me if I'm wrong one that front. From that, I'll assume that all of you running Vair's have reversed the rotation of the engine to allow it to run with a STD IRS box? Again, tell me if I'm wrong.

The answers to those questions will tell me where i go next with this as a project.

Thanks,

Ben
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Corvair/IRS set ups Reply with quote

The dual side cover IRS transaxles are the one to use for flipping​ the ring gear.

I'm currently in process of flipping IRS ring gear for a standard rotation Corvair swap. You do understand that the 1-4 gears will be running opposite of the way they were designed to run? So I'd recommend that you have a good look at the gears on any transaxle used to see what you are starting out with. And don't Hammer the trans too hard... Laughing

The camshafts & bits required to reverse rotate the Corvair engine are not that commonly available these days. Clark's Corvair has some of the required goodies, but they are spending. Also, general consensus is that you should change the orientation of all the Pistons so that they will work more effectively with the reverse rotation. Which means tearing down the engine...

Bryan
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Corvair/IRS set ups Reply with quote

A buddy went reverse rotation on a Corvair Engine for the one intent that if he had a issue out on the road, a VW engine would be easier to get ahold of and swap in so he could drive it back home. (speaking of cross continent tripping).

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JOHN D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Corvair/IRS set ups Reply with quote

On flipping the ring gear (only in dual side cover tranny cases) - consider using a Rhino case or a gusseted case since that will be a big weak point. Standard case was not designed to take that kind of load and have seen many RGB tranny's crack across the top of the case . Also use the late model gears (super beetle shaft) from a single side cover tranny - they are heavier and would take the load better
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
isucorvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Corvair/IRS set ups Reply with quote

or....ditch the VW pan all together, and find a Turchan, or Warshawski/JC Whitney frame set up for 65-69 Corvair rear suspension Smile

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA
Corvair Manx, in process.
GPM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Corvair/IRS set ups Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice thus far guys.....

Remember, I'm in the UK. Finding the engine was hard enough, never mind a Vair ready chassis!
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Corvair/IRS set ups Reply with quote

JOHN D wrote:
On flipping the ring gear (only in dual side cover tranny cases) - consider using a Rhino case or a gusseted case since that will be a big weak point. Standard case was not designed to take that kind of load and have seen many RGB tranny's crack across the top of the case . Also use the late model gears (super beetle shaft) from a single side cover tranny - they are heavier and would take the load better

Single side cover transaxles can be flipped, but take extra clearancing work internally. And reassembly is interesting...

bnc
JOHN D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Corvair/IRS set ups Reply with quote

Yes -- but not for the weary first timers - not worth the extra time and expense - nothing gained for the trouble.

John
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: