Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What to do with this 1800?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shinnlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: What to do with this 1800? Reply with quote

So I vacuumed all the acorns and mouse nest I could and took
The ol' high roof for her first ride in 20
years fire extinguisher at the ready. She went down the road pretty well, shifts and stops but white smoke was a thing and obviously the rings need to seat. Compression test wasn't awesome either but went up a bit after oil was added. Should I just get it over with an pull the engine and check the heads or any hope for a reseat with use?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do with this 1800? Reply with quote

I'd pull the engine and do a cheap rebuild, Just bearings, seals and check things, Do a new set of rings and a light hone. Needs Paint!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do with this 1800? Reply with quote

You could dump a quart of MMO, 2-cycle oil, or synthetic motor oil into full tank of gas and drive it for a while and see what happens. Any of these upper cylinder wall lubricants should free up the rings.

Your rubber fuel lines are probably ready to give you your own 4th of July display and to get your bus on the front page of your local newspaper. You need to replace those ancient fuel lines with modern 30r9 (for FI) or 30r14 (for carbs) fuel hose.

Your brake hoses are likely shot as well, they too will get your van on the front page of you paper and maybe hurt quite a few others when they fail.

If those tires are 20+ years old you shouldn't be driving around the block on them let along hitting the freeway.

All of these can be bad without showing any outward sign of damage.

GO BACK AN DELETE THE OTHER THREAD YOU STARTED!!!
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do with this 1800? Reply with quote

If you like the bus and want to run the bus, bite the bullet and pull the engine.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: What to do with this 1800? Reply with quote

Did you set the valves? That is one thing that will cause low compression - tight valves.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shinnlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: What to do with this 1800? Reply with quote

I did adjust the valves and replace the fuel
Line (I'm running an auxiliary tank) oil and filter, filed and gapped plugs and points. I have a large loop for a driveway and told the kids to stay in with the dogs. I also live on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere so I couldn't resist the temptation after a few test laps to bump it up the road a bit to ensure 4th gear was there. It really needed 2nd gear to make my 14% grade hill but my old early bays from high school did too.

I know I need to pull the engine to freshen seals and it will make it easier to check on fuel tank, clutch, cv joints, etc

Any other run tests I should do before pulling it?

Who is a good vendor for gasket sets and bearings? Brake lines?

Dave
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: What to do with this 1800? Reply with quote

What are your plans for the bus,how do you plan to use it,are you going to repair the rust,what level of restore do you plan on doing?
If you're doing a complete restore,then pull the engine,if you are going to just patch it up then clean the engine and run it to see how it works out.
Get the brakes and running gear squared away.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: What to do with this 1800? Reply with quote

Shinnlinger wrote:
I did adjust the valves and replace the fuel
Line (I'm running an auxiliary tank) oil and filter, filed and gapped plugs and points. I have a large loop for a driveway and told the kids to stay in with the dogs. I also live on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere so I couldn't resist the temptation after a few test laps to bump it up the road a bit to ensure 4th gear was there. It really needed 2nd gear to make my 14% grade hill but my old early bays from high school did too.

I know I need to pull the engine to freshen seals and it will make it easier to check on fuel tank, clutch, cv joints, etc

Any other run tests I should do before pulling it?

Who is a good vendor for gasket sets and bearings? Brake lines?

Dave

I would pull the motor, and do the seals and clean out any mouse houses while you're in there. I have a 75 high top in similar condition that I'm in the process of freshening up. Try giving your local VW shop John at Johns Car Corner in Westminster VT a call for the seal kit. He always has German stuff. Prices are fair and he might have your brake stuff too. I got 90% of my brake pets from NAPA and only had to wait 2 days for a couple parts.

I'm in the process of taking the heads off the 1800cc that's going into the bus. Had it all together ready for a valve adjustment and found that the 1&2 cylinders had little to no movement left in the adjustment screws. Figured it's probably worn valve seats. Plus while the engines out I might as well do this now.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shinnlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: What to do with this 1800? Reply with quote

The motor coming out is more a question of when vs if but good to throw around options. The interior is gone, but the plan is to potentially use it as part of my wife's coffee shop as it's an old garage and the bus fits the image. Perhaps as a mobile caffeinetion unit for special events. I cut this bus out of the woods for parts for my 77 but it's in such good shape the plans changed. It only has cancer on the passenger side dog leg and rocker and the rest almost seem patchable without panels. I plan to weld it up where needed and clean up the rest to preserve the patina. If we ultimately decide on new paint then so be it.

I'm trying to get a parts bus that has decent seats that I can put in it for now and my vision is kind of modular units that slide in. One for coffee, one for cruising and one for camping.

I was gung ho to repower it with a Subaru but now I'm thinking keep it aircooled. The parts bus I hope to get has the stock twin carbs that I can send to volksblitz and I can get a vacuum advance dizzy while I'm at it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: