Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Iron Pots the 1990 Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: (Still Happy) New Vanagon Owner But There Are Issues (Of Course) Reply with quote

Oh, I thought it had to be broken down. Good to know!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: (Still Happy) New Vanagon Owner But There Are Issues (Of Course) Reply with quote

They will allow more than one tow per incident but the tow truck has to drop it off between tows. BTDT.... Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: (Still Happy) New Vanagon Owner But There Are Issues (Of Course) Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
They will allow more than one tow per incident but the tow truck has to drop it off between tows. BTDT.... Very Happy

That is my understadning with Colorado AAA as well, although I don't think I have had to do it yet.

In theory, if you breakdown far away from home, you pick a town at the limit of your free tow range. He drops you off and you call them again for the next 100 mile segment. Most likely you will be in a different service areas and they will send a different tow company anyway. With a premier membership you get 1-200 mile tow, and 3-100 mile tows per year. So you can get 500 miles if need be. I also pay for roadside on my regular policy, and they do have a one tow per incident policy and they sometimes limit how far they will tow you (like only as a far as the closest dealer). But that can sometimes help out if you are way out in the boonies. I almost used that once when the AAA guy showed up and was a complete a-hole. His tune changed when he realized I was about to tell him to piss off. (they don't like to be told where to hook up the vehicle but there are tears in the frame rails on many vans proving that a lot them don't know).

If that sounds like a lot of time and effort, you can pay for the extra miles and just have him take you all the way home. But i think it is about $3-4/mile.

When they ask what is wrong, if I am just taking it to the mechanic, I tell them it needs some work and I would rather not drive it until the mechanic looks at it. (that's not even a lie). They have never questioned it. Usually they are just trying to figure out if you are in the middle of a dangerous intersection.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: (Still Happy) New Vanagon Owner But There Are Issues (Of Course) Reply with quote

Andrew is about 15 minutes from me and Amtrak up North so we could easily commute you back home after a car drop. Keep,working up the camping gear in the spring like weather!!

You need a VOlt ohm meter and those physics skills to Brush up on electrical stuff , the good news is these cars are electrically really simple so they are easy to sort out.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: (Still Happy) New Vanagon Owner But There Are Issues (Of Course) Reply with quote

So, what did the low compression issue turn out to be?
takeiteasy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: (Still Happy) New Vanagon Owner But There Are Issues (Of Course) Reply with quote

congrats, van looks sweet!

"With your past and your future precisely divided.
Am I at that moment? I haven't decided."
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: (Still Happy) New Vanagon Owner But There Are Issues (Of Course) Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
So, what did the low compression issue turn out to be?

Not sure. The one mechanic who I'm unsure of said it had something to do with the intake. He wanted to take the motor out to fix it. Everyone else says if it's running fine to leave it alone especially since it's acclimating to its new climate and hasn't been driven much of late. We're going away tomorrow for 9 days so I'm debating having it towed to andrew flint in the morning to have him replace the water pump and fuel lines and reseal the fuel tank while we're gone. I do worry about wasting one of my 4 tows for the year doing that though so may just wait and take it to him when we're back in town. What are the odds of needing more than 3 tows in a year?

I went out for a quick spin in it tonight and it really runs great. After some errands over the weekend I did notice it was definitely leaking coolant wherever we would park after it had been running for a bit. Don't know the engine well enough and didn't really get a good look to tell where it was coming from but I do have my Bentley now so when I am back in town I'll start getting my hands dirty. Actually I'll take abscate's advice and get some latex gloves so I don't get them dirty but you get the gist.

And I feel like such an idiot... I had noticed there was just water instead of windshield washer fluid in it and had told myself I needed to add some proper fluid so it didn't freeze up when it got super cold last weekend. Only I didn't remember to do it until last Saturday morning when it was in the single digits here. When I added fluid to the front well it started pouring out onto the ground underneath the tank so pretty that's another repair I'm going to have to do. Oops.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: (Still Happy) New Vanagon Owner But There Are Issues (Of Course) Reply with quote

I like your idea of having it towed to Andrew. When you come back it will be to a Vanagon that is ready to safely serve your family and start making terrific memories. If you wait, there may be a bit of a spring rush underway with people bringing in their summer and hobby cars and next thing you know you won't see it back until mid April. Or longer. These 9 days are a perfect opportunity to have a seriously good pro look it over and tend to it. Tow now.

Be safe! Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: (Still Happy) New Vanagon Owner But There Are Issues (Of Course) Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
I like your idea of having it towed to Andrew. When you come back it will be to a Vanagon that is ready to safely serve your family and start making terrific memories. If you wait, there may be a bit of a spring rush underway with people bringing in their summer and hobby cars and next thing you know you won't see it back until mid April. Or longer. These 9 days are a perfect opportunity to have a seriously good pro look it over and tend to it. Tow now.

Be safe! Doug

Good point. Thanks Doug. That was the push I needed. Calling AAA and Andrew in the morning.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: (Still Happy) New Vanagon Owner But There Are Issues (Of Course) Reply with quote

Yep. Good decision to tow it to Andrew. Very Happy

The Western Syncro build
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: (Still Happy) New Vanagon Owner But There Are Issues (Of Course) Reply with quote

katstan wrote:
And I feel like such an idiot... When I added fluid to the front well it started pouring out onto the ground underneath the tank so pretty that's another repair I'm going to have to do. Oops.

Nope. That's normal (as long as it overflowed at the top once full).
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: (Still Happy) New Vanagon Owner But There Are Issues (Of Course) Reply with quote

Sure, send it right over.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: (Still Happy) New Vanagon Owner But There Are Issues (Of Course) Reply with quote

katstan wrote:
Everyone else says if it's running fine to leave it alone especially since it's acclimating to its new climate

That's not a real thing. It's a car. It does not need to acclimate to anything.
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: (Still Happy) New Vanagon Owner But There Are Issues (Of Course) Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
katstan wrote:
Everyone else says if it's running fine to leave it alone especially since it's acclimating to its new climate

That's not a real thing. It's a car. It does not need to acclimate to anything.

You don't think it's possible that the significantly colder temps here could have any effect? Contraction of parts in colder weather...

Anyway, he's off to Flint European Motors today.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: (Still Happy) New Vanagon Owner But There Are Issues (Of Course) Reply with quote

Nice pics! No snow down here.... yet.

Yes, colder climates can cause issues but there is no 'acclimating period' unless it is defined as a period in which those climate issues become apparent and are fixed. Cool

The Western Syncro build
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: (Still Happy) New Vanagon Owner But There Are Issues (Of Course) Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Nice pics! No snow down here.... yet.

Yes, colder climates can cause issues but there is no 'acclimating period' unless it is defined as a period in which those climate issues become apparent and are fixed. Cool

Well yeah that makes sense but would running it for a bit help the oil etc fill in any little gaps that the contraction could have created? I have no idea. Just wondering about the theory of it.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: (Still Happy) New Vanagon Owner But There Are Issues (Of Course) Reply with quote

wow, it's funny seeing snow down/over there and we're bone dry in the lake effect zone..

on the washer bottle.. they do leak from the top, VW used a poor grommet design for the 'fill neck' into the bottle. but since it's washer fluid most people can and do live with it. the bottle is still full, just not the fill neck.

if you did actually damage/crack the bottle. it's really an easy beginner task to remove and replace.
also use RainX of some sort and you won't use the wipers much anyways.

Dan in Syracuse..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: (Still Happy) New Vanagon Owner But There Are Issues (Of Course) Reply with quote

Safely arrived to Andrew's! I just had a blazecut sent to him to install. He's replacing the fuel lines and doing the seal on the fuel tank. Also going to check our brake lines. Looking forward to driving it knowing we've covered all the safety basics when we get back.

Hopefully he'll be able to fix the propane regulator issue and I'm having him replace the water pump for the sink and install our awning, and shoulder belt for the backseat, too so we have a fully functioning camper come springtime. Can't wait!

Last edited by katstan on Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: (Still Happy) New Vanagon Owner But There Are Issues (Of Course) Reply with quote

Smart move. Very Happy

The Western Syncro build
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: (Still Happy) New Vanagon Owner But There Are Issues (Of Course) Reply with quote

See you soon, Iron Pots.

Come back all ready for adventure.

I wish my parents had bought me a Westie when I was 6....

Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: