Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turbo Street Rail Build
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
di11ard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

Sorry off-road boys, another street guy has joined the forum.

Last summer I picked up a Ford 2.3L Turbo powered sand rail.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IRS rear end & link pin front suspension.
She was fun, but steering was loose, brakes were shit (disc only on the rear, nothing on the front), windshield was cracked, exposed wires in center dash, leaky hydro clutch line, etc.

Over the summer I did add some foam to the plastic seats. That helped tremendously when setting in those sun baked seats.

This winter I have started making a bit of progress, and it makes sense to share here.

I decided this buggy is street only, thus, I shall make it my weekend (street legal) go kart.

Originally I was going to put 30x12.5r15s on the rear & 26x11.5r15 on the front.

The big tires showed up first:

Then the shorter tires arrived:

I quickly discovered I much preferred the 26x11.5r15s all around:

I know a lot of people like the "big/little" combo, but I am really aiming for more "go kart" appearance and less "pro-street."

With the tire size sorted, on to wheel selection.
Without question, I knew I wanted to go wide and deep offset. I settled on 15x10 for all four corners.

I debated on wheels and finally settled on Cragar series 69:

Once the wheels arrived, I was able to get the rail off the jackstands and lower the rear to the new ride height.

I don't have the new front beam, but have mocked up the height by setting the front end on some wood blocks. Yes, the front wheels/tires appear a bit bigger, but I can't actually bolt them on yet.

This is all the photos I have for today.

Items to be done before summer gets here:
I have a new front beam with Wilwood brakes coming from AirKewled
I am going to add new IRS arms (3 inches back, 2 inches wider) to the rear
Rear Sway Bar
Rear Wildwood disc brakes
Glass instead of plexiglass windshield
New pedals from wilwood (with dual master cylinders)
New center console
Remove stereo & speakers

Wishlist items:
Move gas tank to front
Re-route/Lower intercooler & radiator over transaxle to improve rear visibility
New Transaxle or regear to lower RPMS at highway speeds
Body work to cover font part of rail

Now then, for the "purists" that are not happy with another rail being lost to the "street" guys... Here is my daily with her camping trailer:
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

I don't think you are going to enjoy steering it with those big meaty tires up front. Other than that, I'm jealous!
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

The most off-roading I plan to do is blasting down dirt roads at high velocity.

I'm going to stay with skinny big 165 and 235 but like you I plan on going for the street legal go kart thing. Keep me posted on exactly how you set your suspension up.

Having driven 1 ton trucks without power steering I can't imagine any buggy with not even 800lbs on the front would ever be a chore
nate3923
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

if you want do eps to help your steering, easy to do and will help a lot with those big tires
di11ard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

Good feedback guys. Thank you.

Yes, I plan to run without power steering, but if I find it to be problematic I will consider electric power steering.

I have seen what the guys over at http://dfkitcar.com have done with the cobalt electric steering.

I don't think it would be too difficult to adapt an electric steering motor, if needed.
ADoyle88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

Adam from DF Kit Car here.

Using the Cobalt power steering is easy if you are running all of the Cobalt electrical system but it is problematic without it. The EPS unit requires data from the Cobalt ECM to function. Without the proper signal, it won't work.

Instead, I would recommend getting a Saturn Vue or Chevy Equinox EPS unit and using this controller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturn-Vue-Chevy-Equinox-e...mp;vxp=mtr

That controller spoofs the signal needed to get the EPS to function. Unfortunately it doesn't work with the Cobalt EPS.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
di11ard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

ADoyle88 wrote:
Adam from DF Kit Car here.

Using the Cobalt power steering is easy if you are running all of the Cobalt electrical system but it is problematic without it. The EPS unit requires data from the Cobalt ECM to function. Without the proper signal, it won't work.

Instead, I would recommend getting a Saturn Vue or Chevy Equinox EPS unit and using this controller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturn-Vue-Chevy-Equinox-e...mp;vxp=mtr

That controller spoofs the signal needed to get the EPS to function. Unfortunately it doesn't work with the Cobalt EPS.

^ I love this Adam guy.
Thanks sir. Keep up the good work.
pallen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

Do you know what HP/ TQ it makes and trans are you running?

Also, should probably get some DOT headlights as well, those LED pods are sure to get you pulled over.

Ecotec Street Rail Build > http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8146270#8146270
di11ard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

pallen wrote:
Do you know what HP/ TQ it makes and trans are you running?

Also, should probably get some DOT headlights as well, those LED pods are sure to get you pulled over.

I have not had the chance to dyno yet.

Google searches show the HP/TQ specs on this motor vary based on year and boost. I've seen as low as 140 and high as 205.

Right now, I am only running 10psi, as anything over that and the front end was impossible to keep on the ground.

Once the suspension and brakes are sorted, I will turn attention to the motor/trans.

Currently she is running a 5-rib bus transmission.
yitzac1990
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

di11ard wrote:

Google searches show the HP/TQ specs on this motor vary based on year and boost. I've seen as low as 140 and high as 205.

Right now, I am only running 10psi, as anything over that and the front end was impossible to keep on the ground.

Once the suspension and brakes are sorted, I will turn attention to the motor/trans.

awesome build, i am currently building a 2.3T buggy also. do you mean you have a 6 rib bus trans? how does it seem to hold up to the power? i plan on just running wastegate pressure for now, and eventually turning it up a bit with an MBC.
di11ard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

yitzac1990 wrote:
di11ard wrote:

awesome build, i am currently building a 2.3T buggy also. do you mean you have a 6 rib bus trans? how does it seem to hold up to the power? i plan on just running wastegate pressure for now, and eventually turning it up a bit with an MBC.

Nope. 5-rip 091 trans.
I have a manual boost controller on the 2.3 and am very anxious to have some fun in the coming months.
My only complaint with the trans is the stoopid short gearing.
I am in 2nd before I get a car length on the stop sign.
yitzac1990
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

wow, i thought there was only a 3 rib and 6 rib haha.

i currently have a beetle trans because it is what my buggy came with, so using that for now and will go easy, but i saw an episode of MCM where they put an EJ25 on it making 360 hp, and all they did was use strengthened gears. so I figure I can just do that in the future instead of spending 900+ on a bus trans.
di11ard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

New parts slowly beginning to show up...

di11ard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

A bit of progress over the weekend.

Removed:
Wiring (from the stereo)
Speakers
Amp
Head Unit
Brake Lines
Clutch Lines
Slave Cylinder
Center Console/Gauge Cluster
Old Jamar Pedals
Steering Wheel

Installed:
Wilwood Pedal Box
Wilwood Master Cylinders (Clutch, Front Brakes, Rear Brakes)
Wilwood Slave Cylinder
Brake Bias Adjustment Knob
Sparco Steering Wheel

Next on the ToDo List:
Install hydro clutch line
Install new brake lines
Build center console

DWP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

Nice, but please get rid of the plastic coupler on the steering box. They are notorious for breaking. Go back to the rag joint.
DWP
di11ard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

DWP wrote:
Nice, but please get rid of the plastic coupler on the steering box. They are notorious for breaking. Go back to the rag joint.
DWP

I have one sitting on the work bench to be installed when the new front beam arrives. Wink
di11ard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

Look what arrived today!

di11ard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

She is a roller again.

heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

Looks great, I like the matching wheels all around and definitely the "go kart" look has been achieved.

BTW, what state are you trying to get street legal?

Best regards, Jeff
di11ard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

heywebonya wrote:
Looks great, I like the matching wheels all around and definitely the "go kart" look has been achieved.

BTW, what state are you trying to get street legal?

Best regards, Jeff

Thanks Jeff.

She already has been tagged in Kansas. So no issues getting her (legally) on the road.

And, KS does not have inspections... Once tagged, you are good to go.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: