Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HACKS
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: HACKS Reply with quote

There are good hacks and bad hacks. Technically any thing that is not OG is a hack. I've made some hacks to my '69 camper that I think make the vehicle better than it came from the factory. Some may not agree and will slam me, but it's my VW and I'll use and modify it as I want to.

My best hacks have been to remove the OG black positive cable to the starter and to replace it with a 2g red cable from PepBoys. An accompanying hack has been to use a clamp with a threaded post and wingnut for the battery grounding strap. For storage or electrical work you only need a thumb and opposing finger to remove the ground. The red fused wire goes to the jump seat were I put in a receptacle for 12v electric blankets.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Another hack that I've done is to remove the ice box and water tank from the galley unit. If I need to keep something cold I'll use a cooler. If I need water I'll buy or fill bottles. After removing the ice box I put in shelves and I keep my tire chains and cooking supplies, burner or MrBuddy heater in there. I made cubby holes and shelves where the water tank was and use those for CD's, maps, and a windshield defroster. I cut the top and put in plastic bins for holding odds and ends and a solar lantern.

Another hack that I've done is adding a sliding door release. This becomes very useful when the sliding door ices up and is difficult to open.

Previously I had difficulty with my turn signal switch being loose and moving it around. I did a twelve year hack to keep it in place, but Telford restored it to OG on a visit to Aeromech.

Sometimes I want to keep my idle a bit higher than the carburetor setting and I made an idle stick. It is not used for cruise control on the highway. The rubber bumper end goes on the gas pedal and the other end under the ashtray. It has a notch on the end for unlocking the passenger door from the drivers side.

Those are some of my hacks which I have found useful. Please post your good hacks here.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: HACKS Reply with quote

I cut an access on the rear package shelf and used a 73 up inspection cover. In this day of cheap Chinese alternators ( last what, maybe 10K miles? ) it saves so much time and effort. I ditched my propane fridge for an ice-box as well, and removed the external propane tank. Still have the connection but I just run it off a 3lb bottle when needed. Mitsubishi Eclipse seats up front for sanity. American contractor style "Van" roof rack that holds 4 by 8 lumber exactly. Love my hacks
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: HACKS Reply with quote

I have a hack that is a permanent fix for turn signal switches that get loose on the column. This is typically caused by the "C" shaped metal bracket in the turn signal housing getting pressed into and elongating the slots in the pot metal housing. The tighter you tighten it, the worse the elongation.

So: I removed the "C" bracket and brazed a length of 1/8" wending rod to the middle of the "C", pointing towards the steering column. Cut the rod so it can stick through a drilled hole in the column. It acts as an index pin, keeping the switch assembly from moving in any direction - without having to over-tighten the housing screws! Also, this stops the sinking of the "C" into the housing.

The fix is invisible with the switch assembled.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: HACKS Reply with quote

My solution for the loose turn signal switches is to get some sheets of rubber, like from cheap floor mats and unscrew the switch from the column and place little pieces of rubber on the metal 'c's telford mentioned. You don't have to screw it down very hard for the rubber to hold it and it lasts forever that way.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: HACKS Reply with quote

My favorite hack on my bus: 4 door remote-operated power locks. I drive it daily and I can't imagine life without it these days.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=580571&highlight=
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Sprink1es
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: HACKS Reply with quote

I love my ice box and functioning sink. But I guess everyone uses theirs differently.

Added 6x9 speakers to the rear cargo area
Added 4ch amp to cabinet behind ice box (to power (4) speakers), and located fuses in the same area
Added 12v outlet straight off of battery, in same area as amp. I use it to charge my phone, power my big fan during a hot night, or for misc like an air compressor to blow everyone else's crap up
Added ribbon LED's along both top corners of interior, front to back, on a dimmer switch
Didn't do it yet, but I'm going to run a 0ga wire on a large switch from my camp battery to my main battery. I've needed to use my camp battery to jump the other battery to start my engine before (relay is very weak, and I've blown the fuse it in before). Rather than mess around with jumper cables... just throw the switch and let it charge for a minute
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: HACKS Reply with quote

Telford, I don't have the stuff to braze, but I do have a Dremel and spare time. I found that a clearing for the notch on the "C" makes for a splendid anti-rotate device. Just, uhh, don't let your cutoff wheel skip and slide……… Rolling Eyes

Robbie

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wiscokid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: HACKS Reply with quote

When I had my 69 westy the Po had cut and hinged the backrest part of the jumpseat, when it opened up he had built little cubbies kind of like a medicine cabinet. He added a latch to keep it secure when driving and I have to say it probably took a week or two to notice what had been done. I haven't replicated it in my current bus mainly because I don't want to cut a perfectly good seat but it was a real nice use of available space. I searched for a pic to post but no luck so far. If I find one I will definitely put it up.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: HACKS Reply with quote

wiscokid wrote:
When I had my 69 westy the Po had cut and hinged the backrest part of the jumpseat, when it opened up he had built little cubbies kind of like a medicine cabinet. He added a latch to keep it secure when driving and I have to say it probably took a week or two to notice what had been done. I haven't replicated it in my current bus mainly because I don't want to cut a perfectly good seat but it was a real nice use of available space. I searched for a pic to post but no luck so far. If I find one I will definitely put it up.

I dug this pic up out of gallery. I love this
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: HACKS Reply with quote

C clips go missing quite easily. Here's a hack that will improve the OG accelerator linkage. Drill a hole in the rod and use washers and a cotter pin instead of the C clip. For an on-the-road repair I used a small pair of vise grips instead of the gone missing C clip. Was good for the 800 mile trip back to home, tools and parts.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: HACKS Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
wiscokid wrote:

I dug this pic up out of gallery. I love this

That's our bus! The jump seat came with our bus bus was not original to it.I have not seen another one.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: HACKS Reply with quote

This afternoon, I replaced the battery ground cable on WanderGlobe's hightop, which had corroded to almost nothing. (The cable was corroded, not the hightop. Rolling Eyes )

His battery is rotated 180* from the one in mine, so the pos and neg terminals are closer to the side of the bus, while mine are closer to the engine. After wrestling with installing the cable in that tight space (plus he has a large marine battery in there!), I completely understand the necessity for a battery access door!

Who has the plans for accomplishing it? I'll surprise WanderGlobe with it when he returns. Razz

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: HACKS Reply with quote

Tom...you need to find one more function for that

High idle
Door opener

To firmly remove it from the " hack" label

Has to be something we can think of.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: HACKS Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Tom...you need to find one more function for that

High idle
Door opener

To firmly remove it from the " hack" label

Has to be something we can think of.

I also use it as a back scratcher and to discipline passengers.

Aloha
tp
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: HACKS Reply with quote

The notch looks like maybe it could be used as a bottle opener.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: HACKS Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
...I completely understand the necessity for a battery access door!

Who has the plans for accomplishing it? I'll surprise WanderGlobe with it when he returns. Razz

You're kidding, right?! That dude with the fiberglass access door got so mutch shit, it was unreal. Laughing
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: HACKS Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
You're kidding, right?! That dude with the fiberglass access door got so mutch shit, it was unreal. Laughing

Oh, yeah... Definitely kidding. It couldn't be an authorized "HACKS" thread without at least one mention of the most memorable one! Not talking Not talking

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: HACKS Reply with quote

Lots of current owner hacks on my bus:

'75 wiper arms on '68 shafts
Stereo
Parcel tray
12v/USB charger
2175cc
Hitch
'71 upper brake reservoir
Curtains
Rustoleum primer paint job
Basically the whole bus is painted in Rustoleum, even the engine Wink
Late model engine lid with lock (fits like crap but seals and locks)
’65 Deluxe Build
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: HACKS Reply with quote

My best "hack" is 2 led strips on the top of the engine compartment and a toggle switch. Bright. Oh, and the lights are bright too. Cool

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: HACKS Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
The notch looks like maybe it could be used as a bottle opener.

Pretty much any VW part can be used as a bottle opener. Don't believe me? Just join Brian and I at Pomona some time……

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: