Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ecotec 1.6 Turbo Diesel?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ARMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Ecotec 1.6 Turbo Diesel? Reply with quote

It came to my attention today as I was paying for my Zetec engine at the junkyard counter that there is a new engine GM is putting into their Chevy Cruze. Its a 1.6 turbo diesel capable of 137 hp and 240 ftlbs of torque. Not sure on the engine dimensions. But with this limited info it sounds like a good potential for vanagons. Has this caught anyone else's attention? Any thoughts?

http://blog.caranddriver.com/peeved-by-vws-diesel-...salvation/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
1.6 TD (GM) by Andrew:, on Flickr[/img]
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ecotec 1.6 Turbo Diesel? Reply with quote

How are you gonna keep that box on the road with an aluminum block and head?
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ecotec 1.6 Turbo Diesel? Reply with quote

Here's a Doka with a Ecotec 2.4: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=519706&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Ecotec 1.6 Turbo Diesel? Reply with quote

My first thought was how to solve the engine management system when you
posted. I glanced at the 2.4 link above. Sounds like someone is modifying the 2.4 GM management system. If you could solve that and solve the adapter and mounting, might be a nice package. Plus you'd have to have a supply of these engines to make it doable.
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Ecotec 1.6 Turbo Diesel? Reply with quote

I completely accept that one should have an open mind to alternative engines to our vans.

And despite the current emissions debate I still think the diesel engine is the prefered engine for a Vanagon, especially for an off road built syncro.

However, a 1,6 sounds a little tiny given that VW for many years have supplied us with a wide variety of 1,9 and 2 litre TDI engines.

If it has the same bolt pattern to the gearbox as the Zetec it could be an alternative for a Zetec owner who want to converted to diesel.
ARMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ecotec 1.6 Turbo Diesel? Reply with quote

The 2.4 ecotec is a gasoline engine. A company called Alpha Fab Industries makes adapter plates, harnesses, and a slew of other parts for 2.4 for on and offroad applications. Dunn Tech Motorsports built that 2.4 ecotec Doka. The 2.4 probably makes most sense in a doka because raising the decklid isn't such a big deal so long as the engine isn't proud of the cargo bed. Hopefully the transaxle was built well enough to last under that kind of horse power. Thin ice, but still pretty dang cool.

Perhaps the 2.4 gas and the 1.6 TD might share a common adapter plate? Which would then mean we could bolt it up to a transaxle.

I wonder if there is any chance any of these offroad 2.4 ecotec fab companies becoming interested in the 1.6td? Let them do all the heavy lifting for us shade tree van folks Laughing

I'm certainly not informed or skilled enough at this point in time to try to engineer a new engine conversion... Thus why I query the collective vanagon mind.

To defend the potential of the 1.6 ecotec despite its displacement size has more power than any of the old vw diesels, 1.9 TDIs included. Also the displacement size could mean a smaller engine with less potential for decklid modification, which is a must for the ALH TDI unless mounted at 50 degrees.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ecotec 1.6 Turbo Diesel? Reply with quote

The torque and hp posted for the 1.6 are quite a bit higher than the
1.9 TDI in stock trim. It should be fine for pushing a vanagon assuming the other things I mentioned could be resolved.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ecotec 1.6 Turbo Diesel? Reply with quote

My ALH fits under the decklid @ 15 degrees. I doubt it would be too hard for a 1.9 TDI to match those output figures, and with a lot less of the hassle required to cobble together a standalone ECU.

It's nice to see diesels still making it into passenger cars in North America, despite VW's shameful corporate shenanigans.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
ARMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ecotec 1.6 Turbo Diesel? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
My ALH fits under the decklid @ 15 degrees. I doubt it would be too hard for a 1.9 TDI to match those output figures, and with a lot less of the hassle required to cobble together a standalone ECU.

It's nice to see diesels still making it into passenger cars in North America, despite VW's shameful corporate shenanigans.

Building a TDI for higher power output can get expensive, and the vw diesel engines are only getting older and harder to find. Hey I loved my ALH TDI when I had it. Great little power house, good on fuel. But I would rather put a newer engine in that doesn't need to be built to deliver adequate power. (not that I thought the ALH was lacking, but 150hp would be nice) The more you build an engine, the more potential there is to shorten the engines life span and compromise reliability. Building an engine can get pricey. I guess it depends where you want to spend your money. I like that the 1.6 out of the box has about 150hp. So states the chevy web site. I think its good to look at newer options as time goes on. The VW TDIs are great, but are getting older and harder to come by. I'm just surprised to see this little engine roll out and on paper I think it has good potential.

The real hard part like you said would be engine management. An area of which I know little. Perhaps a company like Alpha Fab Ind could be convinced to figure it out, they've done it with the 2.4 gas ecotec engines.
akyrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Ecotec 1.6 Turbo Diesel? Reply with quote

I think one bonus this Chevy model over the VW's is that it has "diesel particulate filter and selective catalyst reduction system." I wish the VW diesel's were cleaner out the tailpipe. Although, there are steps that I haven't taken to clean my own van's exhaust yet. My casual internet reading suggests the DEP system that truckers are using seem to work.

If they produce a lot of these engines, it would be a good possible candidate. Plenty of power where you need it, and not quite a tranny chewer. Parts availability is real high on my requirements for a future engine swap. I don't like explaining my Canadian only AAZ to a parts counter.

82 AHU DK, 1950's Puch-black
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Ecotec 1.6 Turbo Diesel? Reply with quote

For comparison, my ALH TDI has a very mild Malone Stage 1 Tune (about 110 hp). I have no clue what the torque increase level might be. Otherwise, the engine and Turbo are OE with just over 201k miles on the odometer, of which, 72k of those miles are with the engine in the 84 Vanagon. (I used the donor car Cluster.)

However, simply put, I've pulled a 1200 lb popup camper to Alaska twice (2014 and 2016). the engine had no issues at all handling the load. In fact, on the 2016 trip, we had two additional adults on board along with their baggage. And, on the return trip, we hit Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Mt, Rushmore, etc.

About 26 mpg pulling the camper.

I do have the CAT installed.

Although I've had a few issues with the electric stuff, it's never left me sitting beside the road. I'm please with the results.

EDIT: Very interesting read about the Chevy 1.6 engine. However, as the price between gasoline and diesel widens, I become more skeptical! Installing one of those engines (or a TDI) in a Vanagon is far more practical because of the immediate improvement in fuel economy. My 1989 Carat gets less than 20 mpg tank to tank. My 84 with the TDI (not pulling the camper) gets 32 to 36 mpg tank after tank. Locally, on I-75, Pilot Diesel is $2.65 per gallon and RUG is $2.09. Big difference!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: