Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

hubs looked at the motor and said it might not take all that much to get it going. i specifically asked if the bungee cord motor tie down was safe and he assured me, in this town it's almost as good as duct tape.. ALMOST! haha
i'm getting new wires and plugs tomorrow.
she's ruff and i know that, but i love her and i have nothing but time. she doesn't have to be a show car to drive to the Beach (but one day she will)
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

One day she will drive to the beach?
Or
One day she will be a show car?
Either way is good.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The birthday of your Bug: week 12, day 4
Thursday, March 20th 1974

Can't tell the color code from the pic.
Have a close look and may be you'll find it.

The color looks like L11C "Brilliantgelb".

Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Also, Super Beetles Onlyhas an active page in Facebook, too.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

AngieB wrote:
hubs looked at the motor and said it might not take all that much to get it going. i specifically asked if the bungee cord motor tie down was safe and he assured me, in this town it's almost as good as duct tape.. ALMOST! haha
i'm getting new wires and plugs tomorrow.
she's ruff and i know that, but i love her and i have nothing but time. she doesn't have to be a show car to drive to the Beach (but one day she will)

Although wires and plugs are never a bad thing to get for a "new to you" vehicle, you have a lot of other issues to attend to, some which can easily damage your engine. You engine bay is missing a lot of the air separation tin pieces. These components keep the hot exhaust air/temperature from rising into the engine bay and overheating your "cool air area". If you post daytime pictures looking down onto the crank pulley, we will be able to see what exactly your are missing. All these pieces are readily available and for the most part affordable.

I also see the cylinder head covers to be the chrome ones. Unfortunately chrome reflects heat back onto the source and will cause damage to the cylinder heads. I had chrome pieces on mine and ended up just painting them with high heat black paint. I'm sure you can do that while sourcing/fitting in the new tin pieces.

One thing I noticed on the video at the 2min mark is the battery positive cable/post not being covered by anything, make sure you get the proper battery as stated by another member, which comes with the plastic cover. If not, then you can secure a piece of plywood or an old floor mat to the battery, that way your back seat bottom doesn't go up in flames.

Looking at your video, I see you have your work cut out for you but again, for $500, you can't beat that Wink Very Happy Laughing Cool

Sidenote - Awesome shop/garage, you're into old bugs and you're attractive = hubby has it made. Welcome to the forum!

(Looks over shoulder to make sure wife isn't reading as a type lol)
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Do NOT throw away anything in the trunk, or any spare parts. Example: when I first got my Super, I adjusted the seat back, and the seat slipped off the rails. Later, I found in a box of crap the PO gave me, two small, flat springs. These parts should have been attached to the front of the seat to keep them from sliding off the rails.

Also, I noticed a large breast tin in your trunk. It might be the one you're missing.

Definitely, get a stock air cleaner, and hook up a hose from your oil fill to the air cleaner. Right now, you have a small hose that's dumping oil onto your engine.

Check to see why there's rust on your right running board. Hopefully, it's not from a rusted out bolt hole that is one of four that holds your running board on at the sides.

When you change the plugs, get some good Bosch plug wires, too.

Lots to be done, obviously, but I think you got a good deal. Remember, though, Charlotte is like finding a starving, stray pup on the side of the road. Lots of love, labor, and money will recall her to life.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

thank you for that info. i was wondering what that plate was for .
i'm going to go out tonight and try to see if i can make out a color code. it is heavily painted.
if i can see something ill let you know

Maddel wrote:

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Here in town, I went down to a paint store that sells automotive paint. I brought my fuel door with me. They matched the paint I needed perfectly. So if you can't find a paint code--and you like the color of your bug--perhaps you can have a good paint store color match the paint for you.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
FGT1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

You really got a good deal. The thing I noticed and you mentioned was that the floor pans were replaced. You are correct, but they just put flat sheet stock in instead of the proper floor pans which would have the various stiffening channels in them, along with the rails you will need to mount the seats. That is why they flex so much when you step on them. I think the PO (Previous Owner) bolted those pedestals to the heater channels based on the holes in the sides.

Good luck with it...I'm sure we will all keep watching!
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

they did exactly that they bolted it with 3inch deck screws, 1/2 inch bolts and lock washers. the drivers seat was only "screwed down" by two screws. this bug is together by prayer only! haha

FGT1958 wrote:
You really got a good deal. The thing I noticed and you mentioned was that the floor pans were replaced. You are correct, but they just put flat sheet stock in instead of the proper floor pans which would have the various stiffening channels in them, along with the rails you will need to mount the seats. That is why they flex so much when you step on them. I think the PO (Previous Owner) bolted those pedestals to the heater channels based on the holes in the sides.

Good luck with it...I'm sure we will all keep watching!
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

i looked st that plate and did t see anything there i even scraped the paint off the one blank area. But!!! when i did that i said what the hell and lifted the plate a scooch.. and i think the color is Ravenna green. the hubs thinks it's a noxious and wants me to paint it black ... ha ha silly hubs.. 🙄

quote="Maddel"]

[/quote]
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Mikedrevguy wrote:
One day she will drive to the beach?
Or
One day she will be a show car?
Either way is good.

Both! i live 5 miles from the beach.. let's just get her on the road and be Safe!
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

breast tin.. hmm.. i'm having to look up all the parts so i know what you're talking about! hahaha.
running boards. they were only attached by the fenders. Sad and the passenger front is only attached by three bolts.

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Do NOT throw away anything in the trunk, or any spare parts. Example: when I first got my Super, I adjusted the seat back, and the seat slipped off the rails. Later, I found in a box of crap the PO gave me, two small, flat springs. These parts should have been attached to the front of the seat to keep them from sliding off the rails.

Also, I noticed a large breast tin in your trunk. It might be the one you're missing.

Definitely, get a stock air cleaner, and hook up a hose from your oil fill to the air cleaner. Right now, you have a small hose that's dumping oil onto your engine.

Check to see why there's rust on your right running board. Hopefully, it's not from a rusted out bolt hole that is one of four that holds your running board on at the sides.

When you change the plugs, get some good Bosch plug wires, too.

Lots to be done, obviously, but I think you got a good deal. Remember, though, Charlotte is like finding a starving, stray pup on the side of the road. Lots of love, labor, and money will recall her to life.

Tim
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW (OLD) BUG OWNER 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

you will see me there! i've already looked it up. i'll try to get the car up and going so i can drive it.
if you guys see something that raises a flag please tell me so i can look into it.

[quote="67rustavenger"]
Buggeee wrote:
Are you kidding me? You can buy a convertible super beetle that looks like that... and you can drive it home... for $500??? Shocked Oregon is awesome! That is a really neat bug. Enjoy it!!! Very Happy[/quote
]Angie got a deal for sure. Not all PNW beetles are that nice when purchased. You should see the rusting hulk sunroof 67 under the car cover in the driveway that I paid $800 for. Now that's Shocked Shocked Shocked

Angie, like Tim said, take a step back and post some pics of your engine, car and interior. We're the visual type here and will pick your car to death(in a good way) so that you and your hired mechanic can get your car in tip top shape. Engine shots, of the carb, dist, and exhaust will tell lots about what's going on at the back end of the car.

Bring that beetle to the NW Bug Run in June so we can have a first hand look at it.

Good Luck with your new love. But hang onto your purse. These little cars can bleed you dry in short order. Very Happy
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Angie, if you want to take a nice, safe trip, then do the tune-up, of course, but also make sure your brake system is in good order--no pumping of the pedal to get brakes, brake fluid at the seam in the reservoir, brakes adjusted, etc. Also, make sure your seat is stable in case of a fender bender.

The breast tin is that piece of black sheet metal that's laying in your trunk. It looks kind of like a Klingon sword. It covers that big hole in back of your engine--that area where you can currently see through to the ground. It is one of the tins that keep your hot exhaust and warmed up air, separated from the upper part of the engine, where all you want is cooler, fresh air.

By the way, for future reference, the "back" of your engine is the first thing you see when you open the deck lid. The front of the engine is the part that is nearer to the front of the car. We use the term "front is front".

Tim

Richard O'Brien
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW (OLD) BUG OWNER 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Mikedrevguy wrote:
hitest wrote:
joey1320 wrote:
Running '74 vert for $500???? Score!!!

Please post more pics. We like pics Wink

Indeed! I'd buy 5 at that price. Well done. Your hubby will have fun with the engine rebuild- that's a desirable engine series ('AH' block) with which to start. Unbelievable you bought that in 2017 for just $500.

I don't know if I would presume that the hubby is going to rebuild this motor. Sounds like it's Angie's project.

She said her hubby's looking forward to tuning it- Ever hear of a mechanic stopping there? I'm sure she'll be in it too. Cool

That man of yours... If he comes near your car with a can of black paint... Smile

Hubs would really get nauseous if I parked my Love Bug next to yours then..

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5

Last edited by hitest on Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

AngieB wrote:

Gelb means yellow.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

I just watched your videos- well done ma'am. A good friend of mine is really heavy into two cars: VW split buses and 67-72 C-10s! Not uncommon at all to have them in the garage. I think you've got a healthy outlook on your car and what's ahead. Just a bunch of detail work to me- that when taken bit by bit will be manageable and rewarding.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Looking at your newest vid, yup yup, someone definitely rigged that bad boy lol. It's unfortunate but extremely common to find VW cars with some extremely shady "engineering" done to them by previous owners.

As posted above, your floor pans are not correct and therefore flex and don't have the sliders on them. Since you mentioned they'll do for now, once you are ready to tackle them you might consider separating the body from the chassis and installing the correct ones.

For the wiring, you can try to repair what you have but it may be less time consuming to remove the whole harness and installing a brand new one. It of course depends on your budget, time and comfort level with rewiring a whole car. One thing though, you have a whole bunch of wires going all kind of ways, so really consider a new harness.

For the parts you found in your trunk, the headlight pieces you called the "bodies", we would call "headlight buckets". Please keep them for a "just in case" - no need to get rid of them. The other piece is actually the front engine tin which sits against the top engine compartment seal above the bell housing/block. You're still missing the rear one which is more important. My car was missing both and it had the chrome cylinder head covers, go figure.

Here's a pic(not mine) - what you have. Although that finger is pointing to the exit vent for the oil cooler, you can see the plate around it.

What you are missing.

Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Maddel wrote:

Gelb means yellow.

I wondered too...
Yet another proof that Germans are color-blind... Wink

AngieB wrote:
...and i think the color is Ravenna green...

Yes, much better!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: