Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

i like the laid back look also. i was contemplating putting in low back seats in the car. that might be a one day thing. i'm sure i'll get plenty of inspiration at the bug run
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

I like the appearance of low-back seats. But if some dink rams into the back of me, I appreciate having the stock high-backs. Stuff does happen, and I don't fancy getting my neck slammed backwards like a PEZ dispenser when it does. Besides, 1974 front seats are nicer looking than some of the previous-years attempts. The backrests are thinner, and the seat covers hug the upper portion for nice lines.

When it comes to safety, the 1973 and up Super Beetles introduced quite a few improvements. Some of them are not as pleasing to the eye as earlier years--like our huge tail lights, and shock-absorber bumpers--but I've come to appreciate the added safety they provide. Besides, keeping it stock, keeps it original. I like original.

So when can we expect your bug to be ready?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Pepsi, why does your vert top lie down so nice? I've seen many verts where the top while in the reclined position sticks up so far, it seems you can't see what's behind you in the rear view mirror. Yours doesn't seem to do this at all.

Tim

The late models lie flat compared to the earlier models.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
pepsiguy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Pepsi, why does your vert top lie down so nice? I've seen many verts where the top while in the reclined position sticks up so far, it seems you can't see what's behind you in the rear view mirror. Yours doesn't seem to do this at all.

Tim

Tim,
My vert's top does seem to lay flatter then the earlier models but I assume that is a change that was made to the later models. The photo might be slightly misleading as my wife (photography is here hobby and passion) was framing the photo to include Oregon's Mt Hood in the background.
Epilog79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Hey we will definitely be at the show. Look forward to seeing the progress on your car. My 12 yr old son looks forward to this event all year.
As for how why some convertible tops lay down flatter or more pointy when folded, I think that over time the foam squishes down and the top is less prominent. Just a theory.
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Charlotte with her new floor, seats, steering column, exhaust and mufflers should be ready by the 1st of June. 🤗
FGT1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Very cool. Wish I were on the left coast to join you all!
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

i got this picture at 1:30 AM! my guy is a machine! Smile

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

AngieB wrote:

Angie, Are you planning on driving Charlotte to the NW Bug Run June 3rd?
Your mechanic will be burning the midnight oil for the next few days to get her ready for the trip.
If she's not ready, you should come to the show anyway. It has one of the largest VW swap meets I have seen in years. This year the weather is predicted to be around 72°, perfect. Last year it was over 100° before 12pm.
I hope t see all you guys there.

Be safe

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
pepsiguy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

AngieB wrote:

Looking good!!!
See you at Bugfest.
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Greg (my bug guy) said she's going to be ready! he's going to the show also, he knows i'd love to take her. but he is workin at 1:30 in the morning and i did tell him not to kill himself and to get home to his family. if it happens it happens. either way i'll be there! Smile

67rustavenger wrote:
AngieB wrote:

Angie, Are you planning on driving Charlotte to the NW Bug Run June 3rd?
Your mechanic will be burning the midnight oil for the next few days to get her ready for the trip.
If she's not ready, you should come to the show anyway. It has one of the largest VW swap meets I have seen in years. This year the weather is predicted to be around 72°, perfect. Last year it was over 100° before 12pm.
I hope t see all you guys there.

Be safe
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Will you have your seats installed in the new pans? Are you going with the 1974 seats that fit in the hump? Just wondering. You don't want to sit on a bucket or something, just so you can drive it to the show. Looking at Charlotte on the lift, I see a lot--besides pans--that needs to be done before she's roadworthy.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

yes, she will have her seats. new seatbelts, breaks, wipers, headlight buckets, and a carseat bracket welded to the frame. Smile

shes had a tune up Wink

she will still need an alignment, add the running boards back on, dust the window scrapers because mine will not roll down without chingering up the rubber.
and i need to attach the visors.
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

the work continues!

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Are you going to sand a bit and repaint some of that frame?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

that's the plan Wink
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Cool.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
azamy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

AngieB wrote:
that's the plan Wink

Looking good Angie. You will feel so much better knowing you have a nice solid pan under Charlotte. She is going to be a beautiful car. Smile

1965 Java Green Sedan
1868 Yukon Yellow Convertible
2012 Passat SEL Premium PZEV
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

It looks like the coupler screw doesn't isn't correct. Get the kind with a hole in the top so you can safety-wire it. Pretty important.

And when you go to the show, see if you can pick up a nice Bosch SVDA 034 distributor to go along with your 34 PICT 3 carburetor.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

we are going to go with the PRA-tronics ignition to replace the points and condenser so it is a bit more reliable. Smile
i'm very excited about getting her fixed up. it's already sunny here and i'm
seeing all the hotrods in the area are making their 2017 debut .. and in super jealous

Tim Donahoe wrote:
It looks like the coupler screw doesn't isn't correct. Get the kind with a hole in the top so you can safety-wire it. Pretty important.

And when you go to the show, see if you can pick up a nice Bosch SVDA 034 distributor to go along with your 34 PICT 3 carburetor.

Tim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 14

Jump to: