Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

AngieB wrote:
Ok so no on the belts ... Sad
What do I look for on the windshield? It looks exactly the same.. not debating g, just trying to learn .

I just bought new windshield for my 74 SB sedan and it was less then $100. You need a convertible windshield from 73-79. They are different then a sedan windshield. If you look closely you'll see the windshield on a vert is more square then on a sedan. A sedan tapers in at the top.
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Thank you for the clarification
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Angie, if you can’t find a vert windshield in Oregon, try a wtb ad in the Samba Classifieds. I saw one currently for sale, but it had a white haze on its edges, and you had to pick it up I’m Dogpatch, BF Egypt, or wherever.

I also looked at MidAmerica VW, and they had a new vert windshield, but it was from the manufacturer (which is okay). They wanted $249 + $56.00 extra shipping. Still, it was brand new, so maybe $300.00 isn’t so bad. But a wtb ad might bring a good windshield for much less—assuming they pack it really well for shipment. Also, you might be able to trade your sedan parts-car windshield for a good vert one.

Either way, I’d have it installed by a professional. On my ‘74 Super Beetle, the PO told me the windshield was the second attempt, because even the pro shop broke the first one.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Check locally for prices. That's what I did for my 74SB sedan. Plus, I tried myself to install it but had no luck so the guy came and charged me $100 to install it. I got prices from 3 local shops and they were all much cheaper then the regular VW vendors, plus you won't have to pay expensive shipping.
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

I’ll check around. I have put a windshield in a 71 chevy truck and the back window. 🤞🏼 Thanks everyone. These BB holes have got to go!
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Well.. I’m Still at it. Here goes.
THE BAD:
1. Found out the back of the car is lower than the front. That’s why it sits weird.
2. Brake fluid is dripping from the heater channel..
3. Need a new front passenger spindle
4. The new window scrapers don’t have a way to attach them to the car Sad
5. There are a total 14 fender bolts holding all my fenders on 🤣
6. Bondo, bondo, bondo
7. The fuel smell is awesome! 🙄 and the guage is toast
8. $250 deductible is the cheapest I can find a windshield 😡 nobody will ship.

THE OK:
1. Donny the donor gave me a ton of parts, so now they are in the backseat of Charlotte.
2. was given another 74 super beetle Marie.. get it?..(so now I have three.. im a collector) I can get the steering box off it and the spindle.

THE GOOD
1. Ordered new seals for the top!
2. Installed new fender beading
3. Installed new front blinkers, and they work!
4. Tuned the car!
5. Fixit day with my car club is this weekend
6. Finally found and installed the last engine tin!
7. Reserved a hotel room for the Treffen. Will be attending if I have to push her the 300 miles!
Epilog79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Way to go Angie!!
One project at a time. You have the tenacity to make it through. I love how your “Collection” is growing. Having spares around is a great way to learn how things work. Treffen here you come.
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Thank you..
Is anyone else going on the treffen?

Epilog79 wrote:
Way to go Angie!!
One project at a time. You have the tenacity to make it through. I love how your “Collection” is growing. Having spares around is a great way to learn how things work. Treffen here you come.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Hopefully, “fixit” day will get some of the necessary work completed.

Sounds like your master cylinder is leaking into the tunnel at the Napoleon’s Hat.

Are you sure the fuel gauge it toast? It could be a sender or vibrator.

You should get a nice spindle from one of your donor cars.

I had the fuel smell. I replaced all the hoses going to and from the fuel tank, including the filler and the hose at the bottom of the tank. It wasn’t that expensive and didn’t take that long to do, either.

Have fun,

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Have you checked local glass shops for windshield prices? I checked with 3 in my area and all were way under $250. Maybe contact a body shop and ask them where you can get one.

As far as the gas smell, do you have the entire EVAP system including the charcoal canister under the right rear fender?
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Yeah I called all the glass places.. no luck. I was able to locate one at Avery’s, but the price plus shipping was more than the insurance company.

Yes I have the charcoal system but one of the lines is cut and has a screw stuck in the line. So I need to get that taken care of. I was told to just bypass the charcoal part all together.. what do you guys think?

Dwayne1m wrote:
Have you checked local glass shops for windshield prices? I checked with 3 in my area and all were way under $250. Maybe contact a body shop and ask them where you can get one.

As far as the gas smell, do you have the entire EVAP system including the charcoal canister under the right rear fender?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:

And make sure to insist on a cash price, not the "insurance" price.

1.5 years ago I had glass insurance on one of my trucks, got the windshield replaced for zero out-of-pocket, plus the installer handed me a $100 bill. So what they charge the insurance money-making machine must be huge !!!

A different truck windshield cost me $125 installed (at my house), but that doesn't relate to your VW much.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Thank you for the tip. When I lived in AZ I had the glass replaced on my car for free.. but not in Oregon. My windshield isn’t bad.. but it for sure needs to be replaced

Cusser wrote:
Dwayne1m wrote:

And make sure to insist on a cash price, not the "insurance" price.

1.5 years ago I had glass insurance on one of my trucks, got the windshield replaced for zero out-of-pocket, plus the installer handed me a $100 bill. So what they charge the insurance money-making machine must be huge !!!

A different truck windshield cost me $125 installed (at my house), but that doesn't relate to your VW much.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

You can bypass the EVAP system. I did that on my 74 since there wasn't a charcoal canister when I bought it. I used the green hose and kept the expansion chamber so it looks stock. You can run the vent line down thru the hole that the speedo cable goes thru. I ran the exiting vent hose down to the area of the master cylinder. Biggest thing to remember is keeping the vent hose higher then the tank so you don't drain the gas out. Here are pics to give you an idea. Another reason I decided to do it this way is because I've seen those rubber caps used to cover the nipples coming off the tank dry rot way to fast or leak. This way of doing it nothing will leak anytime soon. You'll have 3 small nipples on the tank and 1 on the vent hose that attaches to the filler neck.

AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Well it was a busy busy day at the “fix it day” this is what was accomplished!

New Steering column
New Ignition..NO MORE CUT OFF WHEEL!!! 🏆🏆🥇🎉
New steering wheel

Fixed the fuel smell - well by passed the weird thing above the tank. It was cut and leaking fuel anyway.

Installed the new Fuel sending unit - guage still isn’t working.. getting vibrator.
Installed the New chrome Window scrapers
Found and fixed the Exhaust leak
Installed Back seat belts
Installed window cranks - still need 1 more 🙄
Soldered cut wiper lines - I have slow and fast speed!!
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

When my son goes to his dads for weekend I bust knuckles trying to get as much done to Charlotte as I can. Here’s the update from Saturday. She and I havent been getting along. I Worked on Her for 12 hours.. she kicked my ass, but I kicked hers back.

FIXED
Spindle replaced
Fuel gauge works.. it was missing a (1) screw.
Brake line leak fixed (replaced the master cylinder)
Fuel gauge vibrator replaced
Ignition! With keys
Installed visors
Correct Steering wheel
Fixed the dash switch panel
Installed back seatbelts
Installed back seat hardware
Installed heater levers
Replaced valve cover gaskets

Still broken
WIRING 🤬🤬
Fuel line needs replaced
Need the Bakelite heater tubes (then heater will be together under the car)
Needs a tune up
Windshield replacement
Fender bolts (add missing bolts)
Convertiable seals
Carpet
Top and paint

Now with all this accomplishment this weekend.. I was driving her home.. and she decided “I’m not going over 40mph, and if you want me to, I’ll just chugg chugg chugg die right here on the side of the road.” “I’ll work for about 2-300 feet then I’m Going to shit, and you’re gonna have to take me right back to shop you just left from 200 feet at a time. But first I’m going to die right here in front of the state police office and backfire.. and as a final straw.. on your way back to the shop, “I’m going to die right on a blind corner 1/2 way up the hill”. Take that!
So I left her at my bug club presidents house.. to think about what she’s done!!

While I order a new fuel pump..

I also broke down and bought..
a complete wiring harness
Door panels (clips and boots)
Visor clips
And the hood seal..
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Make sure that you're getting good fuel flow TO the fuel pump.
1. Jack up the front end to try this, if necessary.
2. Don't overlook a fuel tank vacuum/no-vent issue, try with the fuel cap off.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
AngieB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

ill give it a try for sure.. I bet it’s due to not having a vent!

Cusser wrote:
Make sure that you're getting good fuel flow TO the fuel pump.
1. Jack up the front end to try this, if necessary.
2. Don't overlook a fuel tank vacuum/no-vent issue, try with the fuel cap off.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

Angie you're kicking some butt. Very Happy

The fuel tank needs vented if not it will stop/slow the flow of fuel into the engine.

How did you go about capping off the fuel vent lines?
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New (Old) Bug owner 1974 Super beetle Karmann question Reply with quote

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Keep chugging along. As for the poor performance, try a new condenser. Cheap & easy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: