Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hitchgate Rear Spare Tire Mount
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Hitchgate Rear Spare Tire Mount Reply with quote

Just came across this and thought this was a pretty clever way of relocating the spare, not ruining the nose of your bus, and keeping access to the rear easy. I like how you can still mount a bike rack, etc also.

https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate-solo/

Of course you'll need a proper receiver, which leads me to my next question- are there receivers available or does everyone build their own? I imagine it would have to be pretty beefy to support a spare, especially for us guys with oversized tires.

Edit: I found that this is available, but I'm not sure if I would trust it for a heavy spare.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=458811
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Hitchgate Rear Spare Tire Mount Reply with quote

That looks like a good option for carrying a spare.

I like that you could remove it if necessary VS. a custom bumper that has the swing-away built into the bumper. And you retain the stock look if you keep the stock bumper.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Hitchgate Rear Spare Tire Mount Reply with quote

Interesting...

And as far as a receiver goes, Jeremy makes some very nice ones. I got two for my 1978 double cab: one for front and one for rear. Ready for anything! I intend to mount a bike rack on the front.

The rig you posted would be useful on the back, since it rotates out of the way for engine access, but I still can't figure out how they mount it to the existing receiver and still leave that receiver functional.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Hitchgate Rear Spare Tire Mount Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Interesting...

And as far as a receiver goes, Jeremy makes some very nice ones. I got two for my 1978 double cab: one for front and one for rear. Ready for anything! I intend to mount a bike rack on the front.

The rig you posted would be useful on the back, since it rotates out of the way for engine access, but I still can't figure out how they mount it to the existing receiver and still leave that receiver functional.

My long term aim is a front Jeremy receiver for the spare wheel, and a rear one for either a bike rack or a small trailer
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Hitchgate Rear Spare Tire Mount Reply with quote

Maybe I'm latching on the "not ruining the nose of your bus" words too much, but there are other options available for the front that don't cause the tin canning that the stock mount does. I've been running the Just Kampers version for several years now with no effects to the nose. Yes, it mounts to the nose and requires some hole drilling, but has additional reinforcements on the inside and then feet that attach to the top of the front bumper, further supporting the weight. Yes, it sticks out beyond the bumper, but a tire on the rear would extend beyond the bumper, too.

Anyway, just saying there's another option for the front Smile

- Doug
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hitchgate Rear Spare Tire Mount Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:

but I still can't figure out how they mount it to the existing receiver and still leave that receiver functional.

Look at the photo again. There is a second female receiver welded on top of the male receiver that installs on to the female receiver on the vehicle Wink It's pretty simple really.

DougB wrote:
Maybe I'm latching on the "not ruining the nose of your bus" words too much, but there are other options available for the front that don't cause the tin canning that the stock mount does. I've been running the Just Kampers version for several years now with no effects to the nose. Yes, it mounts to the nose and requires some hole drilling, but has additional reinforcements on the inside and then feet that attach to the top of the front bumper, further supporting the weight. Yes, it sticks out beyond the bumper, but a tire on the rear would extend beyond the bumper, too.

Anyway, just saying there's another option for the front Smile

- Doug

To each their own, but for me a front mounted spare ruins the looks and the aerodynamics of a bus, admittedly the latter point is probably only a mental hang up.
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Hitchgate Rear Spare Tire Mount Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I did a custom build all in one with hitch receiver bike rack tire mount and gas tray.

Panamerican Highway - 2014-2017
khartley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Hitchgate Rear Spare Tire Mount Reply with quote

That is one nice looking bumper sir. We've been scouring the internet trying to find a closer picture of your bus other than the coastal photo.

Is there any worry that bumper flexes when drivingor when you swing out the tire and tray?
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hitchgate Rear Spare Tire Mount Reply with quote

I see Jeremy's '71 and before Bay hitches, also the one-year-only '72. Where are his late bay hitches you speak of? $200 shipped, such a good price, almost shipped my pants!
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hitchgate Rear Spare Tire Mount Reply with quote

The hitch that Jeremy makes looks good, but I'm more concerned with how solidly it mounts to the bus. The Hitchgate, an oversize spare, plus a couple bikes would be a heavy package dangling out there.
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hitchgate Rear Spare Tire Mount Reply with quote

I'm not gonna lie it's heavy.

thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hitchgate Rear Spare Tire Mount Reply with quote

I had a lot of weight on there and on crappy roads. My rusty frame mounts eventually failed and bent the bumper a bit at the swivels hence the stand offs. Actually Skillz helped me out and welded some of it for me !

Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hitchgate Rear Spare Tire Mount Reply with quote

Quote:

I hit up Jeremy and he told me he doesn't make any for post-72 busses.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Hitchgate Rear Spare Tire Mount Reply with quote

thebusandus wrote:
I'm not gonna lie it's heavy.

Seems like it would maybe be less prone to bending, etc if the tire and fuel shelf positions were switched.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hitchgate Rear Spare Tire Mount Reply with quote

^^^ Only an issue when open. When closed, the load is carried by that post on the tire side. Just my guess/observation.

GTV wrote:
The hitch that Jeremy makes looks good, but I'm more concerned with how solidly it mounts to the bus. The Hitchgate, an oversize spare, plus a couple bikes would be a heavy package dangling out there.

Pretty sure they mount to the factory trailer hitch holes in the frame. Off the top of my head I don't recall the tongue weight rating for that factory hitch, but I am guessing its in the 300-400 pound range. A tire and a couple of bikes should be fine.

EDIT: I did not find the exact tongue weight allowed, but I did find that the allowed trailer weight without brakes is 1100 lbs. That would give an ideal tongue weight of 110-150 lbs. But that is an actual trailer, not just a bike rack and tire mount.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Hitchgate Rear Spare Tire Mount Reply with quote

^150 tounge weight. The good bike racks way 60 lbs, we're talking a 2 bike rack. Let's say the average bike weighs 25 lbs, so that's 110 lbs. know factor in the cantilever action of the bikes hanging off the hitch and throw in some bumps, the hitch takes a beating. I'm finding this out the hard way. My currant hitch set up soley attached to my bumper brackets is not cutting it. The bikes dance around like they're on Soul Train. This is the second hitch design I've seen in the last week. The other one consisted of custom heavy duty bumper brackets. Love to see all the ideas!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Hitchgate Rear Spare Tire Mount Reply with quote

Get a hitch stabilizer/tightener to help keep your bike rack from bouncing around. There are many different types available. When I get around to it I'm going to make one with some scrap metal I've got leftover from hitch builds, ironically enough.

The hitch I built for the '73 is attached with the three frame bolts and is made of 1/4 inch 2x3 angle iron and 1/4 inch box tube. I don't know what it's tongue rating would be, but it is super-beefy.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Hitchgate Rear Spare Tire Mount Reply with quote

GTV wrote:
jtauxe wrote:

but I still can't figure out how they mount it to the existing receiver and still leave that receiver functional.

Look at the photo again. There is a second female receiver welded on top of the male receiver that installs on to the female receiver on the vehicle Wink It's pretty simple really.

Yup. I see that now. Sort of a "pass-through" arrangement. Clever.

Gregg in the 603 wrote:
I see Jeremy's '71 and before Bay hitches, also the one-year-only '72. Where are his late bay hitches you speak of? $200 shipped, such a good price, almost shipped my pants!

Ah, the memory. They say it's the second thing to go. Rolling Eyes

Indeed I got a front receiver from Jeremy, but NOT the rear. Ha. Of course not, as I already had an original "Westy" hitch on the rear. But I thought he used to make rear receivers for '73-'79. Huh. Well, he should! Razz Seems like there is certainly the market for it...
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
foxmon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Hitchgate Rear Spare Tire Mount Reply with quote

IMHO that Hitchgate is heavy and expensive for carrying a spare. But I am spoiled with the spot Westfalia made for mine.
richparker wrote:
The good bike racks way 60 lbs, we're talking a 2 bike rack. Let's say the average bike weighs 25 lbs
vwwestyman wrote:
Get a hitch stabilizer/tightener to help keep your bike rack from bouncing around.

This 2 bike Kuat rack weights 32# AND tightens to the receiver (and fwiw the average bike weights closer to 30#). I am having some issues getting the receiver hitch to stay put but generally I'm very happy with the setup. http://www.globalserve.net/~jrivers/latebayfront.htm

JP6210
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Hitchgate Rear Spare Tire Mount Reply with quote

foxmon wrote:
IMHO that Hitchgate is heavy and expensive for carrying a spare. But I am spoiled with the spot Westfalia made for mine.
richparker wrote:
The good bike racks way 60 lbs, we're talking a 2 bike rack. Let's say the average bike weighs 25 lbs
vwwestyman wrote:
Get a hitch stabilizer/tightener to help keep your bike rack from bouncing around.

This 2 bike Kuat rack weights 32# AND tightens to the receiver (and fwiw the average bike weights closer to 30#). I am having some issues getting the receiver hitch to stay put but generally I'm very happy with the setup. http://www.globalserve.net/~jrivers/latebayfront.htm

+1 on the Kuat rack- I currently run mine on the back of my Westy with a Rivers hitch, but am seriously considering adding the front hitch as well so I can take along the sailboat.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: