Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Radius Rod Bushings: replace without needing alignment
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Radius Rod Bushings: replace without needing alignment Reply with quote

It is actually a 1 1/16" spanner that is a tight 27mm equivalent.

Mark
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Radius Rod Bushings: replace without needing alignment Reply with quote

Yeah you are right, I corrected it - he confirmed the size in this thread: http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=163485&sid=959dbfa978e318063ac045844450b9d4
Mikesarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Radius Rod Bushings: replace without needing alignment Reply with quote

stevey88 wrote:
Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
shagginwagon83 wrote:
Its different depending on what style knucle you have. Is yours an 85? If so you may need to remove 3x nuts/bolts on your LCA.

It is an 85 but has the later style cast lower control arm. The upper control arm is currently off so I am thinking I should be able to remove the lower control arm bushing bolt and the lower shock bolt and use a ratchet strap to pull the lower control arm back enough to get the inner radius rod bush off. Does this sound right?

Once the lower control arm bolt is removed and the lower control arm is dropped, you will have enough clearance to remove the radius arm with the bushings from the chassis. This is the bolt that needs to be remove to take and reinstall the bushings in case there is confusion.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

deep bump for clarification- I'm digging in to my lower front suspension right now. I have an early syncro with the sheet metal CAs. Does this mean that I don't have to battle with the dreaded self-locking nuts under the LBJ, and instead I can just undo the lower CA bushing and pull the Radius Rod out without undoing anything else?

I got stalled out by a siezed lower CA bolt, so I'm waiting for new bolts before I go much further. I'd like not to deal with those nuts if possible.

EDIT: the three bolts under the lbj didn’t give me any trouble whatsoever. Got the radius rod bushings swapped, very easy job.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: