Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speedo cable clip
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karzapart55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Speedo cable clip Reply with quote

What size is the speedo cable clip at the driver side dust cap? Thanks
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedo cable clip Reply with quote

Not sure of the size, but you can buy it for 20 cents from Wolfsburg West: http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111955346A

or buy 300 of various sizes from Harbor Freight for $7: http://www.harborfreight.com/300-piece-e-clip-assortment-67653.html
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedo cable clip Reply with quote

Or you can drill a small hole and use a cotter pin to hold the cable in the dust cap.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedo cable clip Reply with quote

Or not run the clip. Like I do! Shocked Never had an issue with the speedo cable slipping back out of the bearing cap. Been doing this for years.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedo cable clip Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Or you can drill a small hole and use a cotter pin to hold the cable in the dust cap.

I do this a LOT
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedo cable clip Reply with quote

...or wrap some fine wire around it on the outside of the dust cap, like mine has been for 15k miles now after losing that little turd...
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust

Last edited by Dr OnHolliday on Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedo cable clip Reply with quote

Or get really crazy like me and others have done and buy a $400 GPS speedometer and lose the entire cable setup completely Cool
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Speedo cable clip Reply with quote

Wrap fine wire is my cure, or a visit to ACE hardware or Wolfburg West or ??

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Speedo cable clip Reply with quote

Karzapart55 wrote:
What size is the speedo cable clip at the driver side dust cap? Thanks

4mm
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Speedo cable clip Reply with quote

The cable sheath itself is usually held in place by the rubber grommet at the center of the steering knuckle on the inboard side. I've seen this absent on some cars, though, which would make the clip necessary.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Speedo cable clip Reply with quote

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
...or wrap some fine wire around it on the outside of the dust cap, ...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's done this.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Speedo cable clip Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Dr OnHolliday wrote:
...or wrap some fine wire around it on the outside of the dust cap, ...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's done this.

Me too. Embarassed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: