Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

MPS/MAP Mount
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: MPS/MAP Mount Reply with quote

The rubber mounts that attach my MPS to the car broke off. I haven't been able to take out the plate it mounts to but how do the rubber bits attach? Do I have replace the whole plate with a good used one? Or is there some way to fix just those rubber pieces? I don't think I've ever seen replacements and being a fuel injection part I doubt it.

Has anybody had to replace this before?

I've attached a potato quality video for reference:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=U0fYLGW_5_0

'68 FI Sunroof Squareback

'70 Westy

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: MPS/MAP Mount Reply with quote

I will poat pictures in about an hour.

But.....and I may be wrong because it may be a "type 3 thing".......but those two 6mm bolts look like they were taken from a totally different type of vibration isolator.

From everything I have seen....that black bracket that is still mounted to the firewall with anywhere from three to four 6mm phillips head sheet metal screws....should have a grommet and a brass bushing around each of the 3-4 screws....and the screws that actually mount that bracket to the MPS.....should just be a pair of 6mm bolts with 10mm heads or a pair of 6mm Phillips head machine screws.

I have a really vague memory that some of the very early D-jet MPS mounts may have had a firewall bracket that was solid mount with the virnration isolators between the MPS and bracket. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: MPS/MAP Mount Reply with quote

Do you have the bracket shown in the photos below?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: MPS/MAP Mount Reply with quote

I've lost one or two of those insulated spacers, but my spare MPSs have had ones I "borrowed."

But I've sometimes wondered what I would do if I ran short. They are a solid cylinder, with a slotted rubber buffer around them to provide shock protection. I wondered if a simple grommet with a washer on one side might suffice.

I am not a fan of the original attachment. A sheet metal screw is NOT a good candidate for repeated removal and replacement. Two of my screw holes in the body have been enlarged by R&Ring them, and I had to find slightly larger screws. But this, too, will wear out, forcing me to think bigger. Perhaps a rivetnut, or other fastener will be needed. I don't think the original system even included a lockwasher or wavy washer... it depended on the sheet metal deformation at the threads to provide staying torque. I have at least learned to only loosen one, and slide the bracket out of the other two without loosening them. Again, I am only buying time.

This might be a time to entertain a better fastening system.

By the way, it is allegedly critical to mount this with buffering, and in the correct orientation, in order avoid wear or damage on bumps and even hard maneuvers or braking. The moving mass has momentum, and the innards are designed to take loads in only certain directions. This is what I've heard, though I can tell you just what parts are damaged by what movement.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: MPS/MAP Mount Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I've lost one or two of those insulated spacers, but my spare MPSs have had ones I "borrowed."

But I've sometimes wondered what I would do if I ran short. They are a solid cylinder, with a slotted rubber buffer around them to provide shock protection. I wondered if a simple grommet with a washer on one side might suffice.

I am not a fan of the original attachment. A sheet metal screw is NOT a good candidate for repeated removal and replacement. Two of my screw holes in the body have been enlarged by R&Ring them, and I had to find slightly larger screws. But this, too, will wear out, forcing me to think bigger. Perhaps a rivetnut, or other fastener will be needed. I don't think the original system even included a lockwasher or wavy washer... it depended on the sheet metal deformation at the threads to provide staying torque. I have at least learned to only loosen one, and slide the bracket out of the other two without loosening them. Again, I am only buying time.

This might be a time to entertain a better fastening system.

By the way, it is allegedly critical to mount this with buffering, and in the correct orientation, in order avoid wear or damage on bumps and even hard maneuvers or braking. The moving mass has momentum, and the innards are designed to take loads in only certain directions. This is what I've heard, though I can tell you just what parts are damaged by what movement.

You beat me to the pictures. So here are some anyway. Sorry for the quality. I think I have streaks on my sensor from cleaning last week.

This is taken from the OP's video. The black piece shown by the yellow arrow appears to be one of the two standard mounts for MPS still attached to the firewall. I think you can just see the head of one of the three screws.

Note the similarity to the side view above

Those sheet metal screws are part # N 90 136 1

The bracket....and this is from my type 4 parts catalog so it has a 022 part # 022 906 200. Not sure if type 3 uses this part or has one with a type 3 prefix with a slight difference.

These are two of mine. The square one on the left I believe is a version from a square back 411 or 412.

The grommet has a part # of 311 906 055A. The brass bushing has a part # of 311 906 057

In asnwer to the question...no you cannot use these rubber grommets without the brass bushing or some kind of bushing that the screws can get tight against. It mashes and destroys the rubber bushing.

That being said...I had the same issue with not only the sheet metal screws that hold the MPS bracket to the body...but also with the screws that hold my relays on the firewall...remembering that in a two or four door type 4 car all of your relays are on the left firewall inside the engine bay.

so....I used these. They are stainless steel and have gripper teeth. You drill the holes slighly undersized by about .020"...and install them from teh backside by screwing in a 6mm machine screw with a washer until they are "pressed/pulled" in from the other side. Now my relays and MPS mounts are held in by either 6mm machine bolts or 6mm phillips head machine screws.

The trick being that you have to have access to both sides of your panel to work these.

As far as the brass bushing....I will have to measure exactly when I get home....but these should be pretty close

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: MPS/MAP Mount Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies!

I looked into everybody's suggestions but since my fuel injection setup was/is working pretty well, I decided to put everything back together as close as possible to what was in there before, even though it would appear that may not be stock.

Anyway, I ended up using these:

http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/1179880111

The studs are a little bit too long, so I fastened it to the bracket with the 6mm nuts that I originally took off it, and just cut off the excess part of the stud.

The other end is longer than the original isolators I took out but it doesnt matter for the MPS end.

Got everything bolted up and it looks pretty good!

One thing I did notice when the mounts originally broke is that the angle of the MPS seems to make a difference on idle, have any of you noticed that?

When the mounts broke and the MPS was just hanging, my idle was really high. So I moved the MPS out of the way and it was pointing vertically when I reset the idle (did it by ear, it was dark and I didnt have my dwell meter/tach with me because I was at work). I got it close and then used the coat hanger to reattach the MPS to get home and when I restarted the car the idle was so low the car wouldnt run, so I reset it again and got it running ok and took off for home. By the time I got home it had changed it again (at least it seemed like it).

I'll be resetting it properly now that everything is back together but I was wondering if anybody else had ever experienced that.

'70 Westy

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: MPS/MAP Mount Reply with quote

For one...it shouod be horizontal. Bumps and gravity can make a difference on that rather heavy armature rod inside.

But......I would feel safe to say.....you have more going on than that. Check the MPS and its hose for vacuum leaks. It must hold vacuum

Also check for perfect connections at the plug....and in the plugs connectors.

Also....a common oddity here on cars with oil bath air cleaners......if it has not been cleaned out In ages.....the MPS tend to oil up in cars that have lots of stop and go and short shut downs....especially in warm climates. Oil vapors condense inside. I have found many many MPS with 1-2 ounces of motor oil inside.

Be sure yours is not full of oil. Ray
chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: MPS/MAP Mount Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
For one...it shouod be horizontal. Bumps and gravity can make a difference on that rather heavy armature rod inside.

But......I would feel safe to say.....you have more going on than that. Check the MPS and its hose for vacuum leaks. It must hold vacuum

Also....a common oddity here on cars with oil bath air cleaners......if it has not been cleaned out In ages.....the MPS tend to oil up in cars that have lots of stop and go and short shut downs....especially in warm climates. Oil vapors condense inside. I have found many many MPS with 1-2 ounces of motor oil inside.

Before reinstalling it I cleaned it up and I noticed that some oil was leaking out of it. What's an acceptable method to cleaning the inside? I used CRC electronic cleaner and it seemed to get it all. I figured that would be safe for the inside of it.

'70 Westy

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: MPS/MAP Mount Reply with quote

chaosisme wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Before reinstalling it I cleaned it up and I noticed that some oil was leaking out of it. What's an acceptable method to cleaning the inside? I used CRC electronic cleaner and it seemed to get it all. I figured that would be safe for the inside of it.

Yes....the CrC will not hurt it...but the key is to get it all dried out. The electronic parts cleaners flash off very fast.....and get cold. That condenses moisture into eveything. Not good for the windings in the long run.

Personally....I split the MPS open and clean out the coil end with spray electronic cleaner and the blow dry.

The problem is that there is a flap valve in the vacuum circuit that does not,readily let thick liquids out. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: