Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bay window insurance?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Bay window insurance? Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
Here in Michigan at State farm, I was told that I would need an appraisal to get collectors ins. I felt like the guy gave me the "WINK" when he told me it just needed to look official. Looking online, it does not say anywhere that appraisers in Michigan need any kind of licence or certification.
Does this mean I can find an impartial VW guy to fill out a form I printed off the internet? seems like someone in the hobby would know better that the Detroit muscle guy on what to look at. Or do I pay the 200 bucks (if I am lucky) and get it done by someone who runs a appraisal biz, but has no cert, just experience?

I would respond with (and not judging here) anyone who thinks they can think of a scheme to end run an insurance company that hasn't been tried is mistaken. If you really want the protection, ask for the details of the insurer and follow them to a T, if you want to actually be able to collect.
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay window insurance? Reply with quote

Ives676 wrote:
I just added my bus to my safeco policy. They looked up the value of my vehicle and it came back as $45,400 without requiring me to give them a appraisal. I was shocked and very happy about this. I will be providing an appraisal though to back up the value just in case. Check them out if you are shopping for insurance.

http://www.safeco.com/classic-car-insurance/faq

Another option I was looking into was Hagerty but they were quite a bit more money in premiums.

https://www.hagerty.com/

Well I should have known it was to good to be true. Even with an appraisal and several months of having the insurance with an agreed value, Safeco decided they wouldn't cover my bus for the agreed value of $45,400. They said that the reason was that it wasn't an antique vehicle which is what I asked for originally. Instead they wanted to classify it as a classic "modified" vehicle and they would only offer me a $25K agreed value........and my premium would be higher.

I am going to switch to Grundy. They have stricter rules about driving the vehicle but they will cover the cost of the vehicle and all stash parts I have for less money than Safeco.

Grundy's quote was $320 a year.

Hagerty's was another company I researched but their quote was $1300! Shocked
VWSunny72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay window insurance? Reply with quote

Be careful with Grundy and Haggerty because their agreed value/antique insurance policies are only for cars that have very low usage. Basically cars that are shipped from auto show to auto show. My bus is a daily driver and they both basically said that they could not/would not cover me. I am still looking into my State Farm dilemma (they won't do an agreed value policy with anything newer than 1970 and is driven often)..but Safeco would do an agreed value policy of $25,000 w/ $500 deductible for ~$1250/year. Insurance policies are run by financial math and statisticians...you do get what you pay for in this world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: