Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Suspension: how far to go & how to proceed?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Suspension: how far to go & how to proceed? Reply with quote

61Scout wrote:

Good progress. On the vinegar bath, it's best to completely submerge the parts for rust removal. I'd also recommend using a plastic container so the vinegar is working on the parts and not the container. Cover with saran wrap to stop evaporation. Vinegar is very mild and judging from the rust I see on the parts, I'd say you're looking at 3-4 days of soaking/scrubbing for best results.

The slowness of the vinegar is what some guys can't tolerate. They'll use phosphoric or muriatic acid instead, but using these are far more caustic and require much greater care in handling. Anyway, get those parts under the vinegar.

But what about for the larger items like spindles / controlling arms / calipers? For example the spindles are really rusty, but I would need gallons of vinegar, and this would also contact the smooth clean spindle "Pinocchio" noses also. Is simply brushing on vinegar several times not going to do much except clean off dirt and grime?

The vinegar IS very very cheap. $.40 / liter.

For example should I just buy 10 liters of vinegar and throw the whole spindle right in there for 4 days?
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Suspension: how far to go & how to proceed? Reply with quote

epowell wrote:

But what about for the larger items like spindles / controlling arms / calipers? For example the spindles are really rusty, but I would need gallons of vinegar, and this would also contact the smooth clean spindle "Pinocchio" noses also. Is simply brushing on vinegar several times not going to do much except clean off dirt and grime?

The vinegar IS very very cheap. $.40 / liter.

For example should I just buy 10 liters of vinegar and throw the whole spindle right in there for 4 days?

I would avoid submerging any parts where there is a seal or bearing surface exposed to the vinegar. And of course, sometimes due to the size of the component it doesn't make a lot of sense from a practical standpoint. That said, if you had a container large enough to submerge the control arms, you certainly could do so. Any of the suspension hardware is fine. I'd suggest soaking it as long as it needs to soak and after you are satisfied with the results. It all depends. I would check it at least every day, if not every 12 hrs. You would not want to just soak something for 4 days without checking on it. At least, not until you get a good sense of how quickly the vinegar works. When the rust comes off with the vinegar it will be very easy to wire brush away. If you give it a light/mild scrub and there is still rust there... soak longer. If the part looks good, take it out of the bath, rinse and then dry.

Dirt, grease, grime, wax, silicone, paint and so on will all need to be removed prior to the vinegar bath. Rust scaling/scabs and deep pits need to be picked off. The use of vinegar is mostly for surface rust conditions. Vinegar can also be used with a non-scratch brillo to remove hard water stains from glass and chrome. That's about all I use vinegar for in terms of automotive work.

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Suspension: how far to go & how to proceed? Reply with quote

Finally got some paint on the suspension parts. I got a lot of the rust off, didn't do a perfect job, but then again a lot of people just put the parts back in without even a good cleaning.

The only thing I am concerned about is if I put too much paint on the spindles - If there should be paint there so need to where the rotor spins?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Suspension: how far to go & how to proceed? Reply with quote

I sure hope you used a rust reducer on the remaining rust before painting!!
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Suspension: how far to go & how to proceed? Reply with quote

Česká odrezovač.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Suspension: how far to go & how to proceed? Reply with quote

Starting to deal with the RR-egg-holes. I am wondering if these holes have in the past been welded up meaning now having a thicker than stock thickness to that wall? Does anyone know how thick that bulkhead plate normally should be? Mine is now about 1/4" (5mm).

epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Front Suspension: how far to go & how to proceed? Reply with quote

STEERING ALIGNMENT:

Question about steering (probably obvious):

I have removed this steering rod, and I realize now that I did not do it with the steering wheel at TDC. It is way off TDC in fact. Once I get all my suspension and steering stuff back in is there a simple way to get the steering back in the proper ball park.

My guess is to roughly put it back in the way it was (the problem is that I was not aware that this steering ROD turns many many many times with just one turn of the steering wheel, so it is going to be tough to match up the rod with the wheel. I KNOW what the ROD should look like but not exactly where the steering WHEEL was).

So once it is all back in, I guess that I first SET THE WHEELS STRAIGHT AHEAD, then detach the ROD again > turn the WHEEL to TDC > then re-attach the ROD?

ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Front Suspension: how far to go & how to proceed? Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
STEERING ALIGNMENT:

Question about steering (probably obvious):

I have removed this steering rod, and I realize now that I did not do it with the steering wheel at TDC. It is way off TDC in fact. Once I get all my suspension and steering stuff back in is there a simple way to get the steering back in the proper ball park.

My guess is to roughly put it back in the way it was (the problem is that I was not aware that this steering ROD turns many many many times with just one turn of the steering wheel, so it is going to be tough to match up the rod with the wheel. I KNOW what the ROD should look like but not exactly where the steering WHEEL was).

So once it is all back in, I guess that I first SET THE WHEELS STRAIGHT AHEAD, then detach the ROD again > turn the WHEEL to TDC > then re-attach the ROD?

On the collar of the input shaft of the steering reck there is a bump and a notch on the housing. If these two signs are in line then the rack is in central position.
I would turn the rack into central position then remove the steering wheel and put back in correct position
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Front Suspension: how far to go & how to proceed? Reply with quote

Aha!!
I had the steering wheel off some time ago and someone had made a nice marking there to indicate "correct" steering wheel position > therefore in order to keep this steering wheel mark accurate, perhaps the best thing to do would be to:
1) rotate the steering wheel (steering rack is out of the van) back to TDC.
2) rotate the steering rack (out of the van) back to TDC.
3) install steering rack and all should then be at TDC.

...good plan?
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Front Suspension: how far to go & how to proceed? Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
Aha!!
I had the steering wheel off some time ago and someone had made a nice marking there to indicate "correct" steering wheel position > therefore in order to keep this steering wheel mark accurate, perhaps the best thing to do would be to:
1) rotate the steering wheel (steering rack is out of the van) back to TDC.
2) rotate the steering rack (out of the van) back to TDC.
3) install steering rack and all should then be at TDC.

...good plan?

It is Very Happy

On your second pic you can see the mark on the black collar and the other one (a bump and not a notch) on the housing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Front Suspension: how far to go & how to proceed? Reply with quote

Wonderful! I feel much more confident with this info! Thanks!

Yes I found that TDC mark on my steering rack. Turning the input shaft I can make the shaft pass that TDC mark 4X, but 3 or those 4 times are OBVIOUSLY very far off TDC, whereas one of them is clearly CENTER, so that's the one! Bingo!

So with this mark at TDC, the steering wheel at TDC, and the TIERODS adjusted properly, all should be well!

ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Front Suspension: how far to go & how to proceed? Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
Wonderful! I feel much more confident with this info! Thanks!

Yes I found that TDC mark on my steering rack. Turning the input shaft I can make the shaft pass that TDC mark 4X, but 3 or those 4 times are OBVIOUSLY very far off TDC, whereas one of them is clearly CENTER, so that's the one! Bingo!

So with this mark at TDC, the steering wheel at TDC, and the TIERODS adjusted properly, all should be well!

Then I remembered good at first. The housing has a notch Smile
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Front Suspension: how far to go & how to proceed? Reply with quote

Very logical, straight-forward, and easy - as is everything on these wonderful vans, once you know how it works!
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Front Suspension: how far to go & how to proceed? Reply with quote

So.... slowly making progress...

I decided to do something about the RR "egg-holes". I know my 'solution' is pretty amateur and one day I will have a welder to fix this properly, but I am guessing that for now this will be OK. I fashioned two small pieces of aluminum to fill up the gap worn down by the old RR. I then epoxied these little pieces in place. I know that the whole thing will be tightly clamped together between those 2 huge RR washers, therefore when the epoxy cracks and breakes down, there will be nowhere for it to go and those pieces of aluminum will remain there preventing the RR to shift position.

My main question at the moment is HOW THICK is that bulkhead supposed to be originally? I think someone in the past has thickened it... if it is too think then I need to reduce the length of the RR sleeves.

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Suspension: how far to go & how to proceed? Reply with quote

I just measured one without damage.
It was about 7-8 mm thick.

If you make the center plate very much thicker than stock the sleeve should then be longer than stock, not shorter.

I don't think that adding some bits of soft metal is going to help anything for long. Why not call out a mobile welder to put some steel back where it needs to be? Around here they would drive a small truck with a diesel generator that powers an electric welding machine.

Mark
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Front Suspension: how far to go & how to proceed? Reply with quote

Thanks Mark... still not yet sure how I will deal with this, but if I get something there that will hold well for a year or so, that won't be so bad as I am planning on buying a welder soon.

- - -

Next up, another exxperiment/amateur fix: I glued on a couple of very thin pieces of sheet metal to thicken my sway bar in order to tighten up the downlink bushings. In fact I widened it from 20.5 to 22.5 and now the bushings are really nice and snug.

This also tells me that using 19mm bushings (without the sheet metal thickeners) on my 20.5 sway bar would work well... so I will keep a close eye on these bushings and if they start to fail or those sheet metal pieces somehow come out, I will remove them and use the 19mm bushings.

epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Front Suspension: how far to go & how to proceed? Reply with quote

This is what my washers look like.

epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Front Suspension: how far to go & how to proceed? Reply with quote

Got the steering rod de-rusted and painted... feels nice to me.

epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Front Suspension: how far to go & how to proceed? Reply with quote

QUESTION ABOUT INSTALLING U.C.A.:

So since I had to get very aggressive while removing the UCA long bolts, I unfortunately completely lost track of the previous adjustment that bolt had with respect to its CAMBER alignment.

Perhaps I am asking too early since I have not yet fully digested this article - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=396113&highlight=and I do plan on utilizing this DIY alignment method at least to get the thing in the ball-park.

Otherwise does anyone have any basic advice regarding how to install the UCA bolt? I guess as a very minimum quick adjustment there should be a very slight NEGATIVE CAMBER (tops of the tires slightly tinting inwards when viewed from the front).
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Front Suspension: how far to go & how to proceed? Reply with quote

Excuse me while I channel my inner TK this morning...

The issue with the hole in the frame from the radius rod is that you can't inspect it. So how will you know when it's worn? The soft aluminum and brittle epoxy won't hold for nothing in there. Consider the force it took to make the egg shape in the steel in the first place. Also, consider the fact that you will have to disassemble, repair properly, reassemble, and realign. That's a lot of wasted time. Furthermore, each worn component places more stress on the other components within that system. I just have to wonder where the savings are vs calling a mobile welder now to do the job properly and just be done with it all. A mobile welder would place a copper pipe in there to keep the shape of the hole, weld in the worn section, then grind down the sides to be flush. All in all, it would take maybe a half hour to an hour for each side. Not addressing this properly now is a complete waste of time. The current repair on the van is a hack job, total b.s, will never hold. Get that crap out of there now and fix it right. Quit f-ing around.

The thickening of the sway bar ends has more promise. But that's not right either. I have to wonder why not simply use the correct parts? I suspect it's going to be squeaky.

Usually I would recommend a guy drive the vehicle for 50-100 miles to allow suspension components to settle in before aligning. But in this case of this van, just go get it aligned. You'll have a hard time seeing the angle visually, especially with tires on. Just line it up as straight up/down as you can get and drive it right over to the alignment shop.

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: