Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What starter to buy.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
livy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: What starter to buy. Reply with quote

i just put in a new heavy duty battery, but my car cranks real slow, not only when it hot but when it's cold too. I think my starter is dragging and will have to be replaced. I am asking the question of "What is the best starter to buy for my stock 1600 Thing? Any help will be appreciated.--Larry
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bosch SR17X the same one that came on the thing it is the heavy bosch starter, the sr15 x is the one for the bug it uses a bushing in the transmission the sr17x does not
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it could just be your bushing, had that problem in my formula vee race car, fully charged battery, would start one, then needed jumped. bushing was baly worn and moving in the hole causing binding. check that before you spend the $$$ for a starter, but the ones that don't use the bushing are the way to go, is the one on your car a gear reduction? they spin slower. Fv's use a 6volt starter with 12volt system, spin real fast, hope this helps
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all things use the no bushing model unless someone changed the tranny or starter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
livy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. What do you think about one listed as a gear reduction starter motor. My Thing might not need it but if it will last longer it might be a good investment.--Larry
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stay with bosch it works
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another name for the OE Thing starter is auto-stick or semi-automatic starter. As a result of its heavier duty service this starter was used on the type one cars with the auto-stick transmission. This starter was also the stock unit on 68-79 auto-stick bugs and 68-74 ghias, 73-75 buses and Porsche 911 65 - 71
If you search ebay <vw starter sr17x> today you will find 21 of these items ranging in price from $35 - $175

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

compare starters thing on top bug on bottom
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes!! great comparison images.. The top higher powered sr17x has a .80 kw power rating. While the standard bug sr15x has a power rating of .70 kw Additionally the sr17x has a significantly stronger nose.
livy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pictures. I also noticed on the bottom view that it looks like it is supposed to go into a bushing and the top one is self contained.--Larry
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been a great thread. Like the old days. A guy had a real question. but was not able to use the lingo of the inside clan. Then old guys hooked up to what the new cat was after. and, it was like a craft guild where knowledge was shared asn scent to the next group. PERFECT. Thanks guys...
1 THING
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the sr17x vary for auto or manual transmission? most advertisement is "auto transmission", but im pretty sure all Things are manual
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

17x works for auto or stick 15x works for only stick
1 THING
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, im thinking about replacing mine......it takes four separate turnovers/start attempts for mine to start AND idle (barely).......first three tries and there's a turnover but no start (cold engine)........seems like the starter tries immediately but sounds like it's dragging

it, however, does do better with one compression of accelerator instead of pumping it, which is what ive done before
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch SR17X starter motor--who sells them NEW? Reply with quote

I need a Bosch SR17X starter for my 1973 Type 181 Thing, but I want a NEW (not remanufactured or rebuilt) unit. Does anyone know who sells new stock that are NOT remanufactured units? Thanks!

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What starter to buy. Reply with quote

One thing that might help your search:

Bosch SR17X is the part number for a rebuilt starter

Bosch SR17N is the part number for a new starter

Wagonwerks sells new SR15N

here is a NOS unit
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1659206
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What starter to buy. Reply with quote

Wonderful thread, I might have to get one to add to the spare parts shelf, thanks guys.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What starter to buy. Reply with quote

Consider this "spare parts" for $99

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1737897

a pair for $40 ea. clean and check
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1908853

Bargain of the post $19.95 plus ship

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1947912

Crown Jewel of the Post NOS (actual) $150 get this one folks...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1659206
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What starter to buy. Reply with quote

Thanks kubelman.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What starter to buy. Reply with quote

Especially for you... Always a pleasure....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: