Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why are good members leaving?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Why are good members leaving? Reply with quote

We lost desertbusmam

We lost Tcash

We might be losing another soon

Why is this happening? Is it a natural progression? Can we mitigate it? Should we? Does anyone else care?

Just asking because I'm seeing a trend
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are good members leaving? Reply with quote

The good, knowledgable people, like Tcash, spend a lot of time and effort in helping those us ignernt folk. And while most responses are appreciative, there have been some scuffles in the replies. So I'm guessing there is a point where you just burn out and say fugedaboutit. Or some other equivalent F-word.

I just hope they miss the interaction and return. I enjoy reading all the threads here on a daily basis. And would miss The Samba if it were to go away. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are good members leaving? Reply with quote

I go in and out of here quite frequently.

A lot of it has to do with the bullshit that constantly keeps happening here, it is very tiring. I will often disappear for months on end and then come back to see if anything has changed.

I started my Subaru swap thread for my bus awhile ago and was met with grief so I stopped posting. It's a bit more accepted now and I would like to update my thread, and I will, but because of the crap from before, I am in no rush to jump back on it.

Other times I will disappear because nothing really new is happening here in so far as builds to follow. It seams they go in waves.

Another good example, look at the thread about the '55 that was on Jay Leno's garage. It turned into bickering about "patina" Rolling Eyes Same shit, different day. The same happens all the time for lowering or doing anything that the stock nazi's deem unacceptable.

Other times, people ask for advice and when it is given to them, they piss and moan.

This site is great, I'm grateful it exists, I just think a lot of us get tired of the same thing over and over and over and just take breaks from time to time and some check out completely.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are good members leaving? Reply with quote

The ones checking out aren't doing so because you and others chose to take a break. They are leaving because of cruel posts attacking them in public and they finally think enough of this shit. So it winds up that a guy with decades of knowledge leaves because a new guy pisses him off. The rest of the community suffers.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are good members leaving? Reply with quote

Quote:

The ones checking out aren't doing so because you and others chose to take a break...

I'm not sure why others would leave because me and some other people took breaks.

My "breaks" are what have kept me from leaving for good. In the past, I have walked away from his site literally for years and then came back. Lately it's months. Like I said, I have been attacked on here in the last too, on the site and through PM's and those are the reasons I chose to just walk away for awhile. These are the same reasons many others have finally just logged out for good.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind

Last edited by Keith on Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are good members leaving? Reply with quote

Well it sucks. People should at least not make posts that they wouldn't do face to face.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are good members leaving? Reply with quote

That's the way of the internet now. People spew bullshit they wouldn't do to someone's face, because they know there will be no repercussions. Too many people have little respect for others anymore.

a-marshal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are good members leaving? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
We lost desertbusmam

We lost Tcash

We might be losing another soon

I hope we don't loose another ... I have been helped immensely by the people here who go out of their way for others. I wouldn't want anyone to think I take that help for granted either....
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are good members leaving? Reply with quote

Okay, that's good. Maybe the ones leaving need more love and less hate
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are good members leaving? Reply with quote

Good post, I'm glad you brought it up. I largely agree with Keith. And for sure there are a few pricks here with pompous ass attitudes who think they're the chosen ones, I've been rubbed by some, fuck 'em, no skin off my nose.

At the same time, I do feel like I've annoyed a couple of good resources here simply because I didn't necessarily agree with them or take their advice. It doesn't mean I didn't appreciate their effort to help, or their input, I just take it all in and shape my own decisions with it.

I spent many years on the old Cal Look forum, and the shit went on there until it fell apart...there was so much ridiculous infighting and bickering between the "subject authorities" that everyone bailed until there was nothing but assholes left. So they shut it down.

I couldn't imagine something so terrible happening with TheSamba...and EB would never let that happen, I think.
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are good members leaving? Reply with quote

We lost Tcash? thats terrible news.

People like Tcash and Desertbusman are invaluable in my searches for how to fix things. Hope the attrition can stop.
Not a Priest.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are good members leaving? Reply with quote

I think places like Facebook are a huge part of it. Everyone has a site on whatever they want to specialize in. Only a few get mass traffic through them and there are lots to choose from.

The Samba just ends up being one of many many choices to wax VW on.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are good members leaving? Reply with quote

Didn't Desertbusman leave because his wife ( like mine) got tired of him spending a lot if time on here? Also, I think Karl's death might have had a bit to do with it too. Just speculating. I hope we lose no one. Don't let the bastards get to you! I have learned so much on here and am grateful to all who contribute positively.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are good members leaving? Reply with quote

Tcash just randomly stopped posting and signing on Oct 18th, 2016. Is he ok?
Not a Priest.
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are good members leaving? Reply with quote

Because Idiots don't know how to shut up and listen to someone who clearly has more experience.

The kind of people the "regulars" have to put up with would drive me crazy enough to sell my VW and run screaming for the hills.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are good members leaving? Reply with quote

BusPriest wrote:

There is an entire thread on TCash. He apparently wanted to take a break after being assaulted online by a long term member. Over pictures.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are good members leaving? Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
BusPriest wrote:

There is an entire thread on TCash. He apparently wanted to take a break after being assaulted online by a long term member. Over pictures.

That was my understanding as well. I remember that exchange and thought that member was way out of line. Tcash was always friendly, helpful and kind.

I think all forums are suffering shrinkage as well. Colins site http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com has become a ghost town with hardly any traffic there these days. Personally, 1/2 the posts are about politics and I don't think politics and VW's mix, especially if you don't lean to that sites political party.

The Samba has lightened up a lot over the years from it's wild, wild west days back in the mid-00's. Who remembers the rants? Some of the more rude, condescending, know it alls are not on here or are not posting as much. I think a few of them did a wonderful job of running off new members and long time members with their socially retarded people skills. It was clear that some of them got all their self worth off their VW knowledge. Desertbusman was turned off to this site by one of these exact folks.

I still think there are a lot of friendly, knowledgeable people that are regularly participating. Busdaddy is an example of a very knowledgeable regular who possesses good people skills when he helps folks.

As the other member stated, I think people burn out on either their VW's or this site and take breaks. I have over the years, especially when I was very busy.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are good members leaving? Reply with quote

Things change. People leave. Remember when Richard Atwell pulled back? Or Step_________? New people come come in or rise up. In the past year or two a number of people have become steady contributors on this forum.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are good members leaving? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Well it sucks. People should at least not make posts that they wouldn't do face to face.

and I stand by every post I have made Very Happy

I am sure I am one of the offenders here, and frankly, I could give a shit. I think what has happened (at least in my case) is I get tired of the keyboard hero's putting in their .02 when they have no clue what they are talking about (because they haven't been down that road) then....they want to sit and argue about it.

the other thing is more than 1/2 of the folks here don't take this shit seriously....from the shittiest "restorations" to bad welding...then bitch when someone like me calls them on it.....then proceed to whine about the cost of shit and how real deal guys have "ruined" the "hobby" because they take a bus to the 9's and pull 100K+ at an auction....

I just want it done right....doesn't matter if its a bus or a pinto....and trying to guide the folks that don't want to listen is like throwing sand in your condom...it's painful to do the deed. tcash just needs to take a big sip of man the fuck up and come back.....I know for a fact he'd been asked for 2+ years to not use the photos he was using, and that wasn't from just 1 member...it was several.

I have to say there are really only a few active members here that actually do something to their buses. then you have the guys who make a thread on a conversion/resto mod and instead of looking at some of the awesome talent, the get boo'ed by the purists so they say fuck it and go where they are appreciated.

in the past year there has been what, 1....maybe 2 "resto" threads? I personally respect most of the guys here....the rest are hacks or passing thru, but I feel that way about people in real life too.

glad you asked? Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are good members leaving? Reply with quote

Things change.

People change.

A certain percentage of us die.

The cream floats to the top.

Among any group of people there will always be one turd in the punchbowl.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: