Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Automatic Transaxle
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transaxle Reply with quote

Hey guys!

I got a question for ya: how do you slide the pinion bearing race with the back to back seals without ruining the inner one ( towards the Ring and Pinion)?

I tried wiggle the plate onto the seal bushing, it finally went in but I didn't feel it today, so I took it apart again to double check and indeed it was ruined :/

Thanks Smile
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transaxle Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Hey guys!

I got a question for ya: how do you slide the pinion bearing race with the back to back seals without ruining the inner one ( towards the Ring and Pinion)?

I tried wiggle the plate onto the seal bushing, it finally went in but I didn't feel it today, so I took it apart again to double check and indeed it was ruined :/

Thanks Smile

Nevermind, I put my brain cells to work, they got rusty lately Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

FarPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transaxle Reply with quote

To replace the 2 drive shaft seals, I found it easy to first remove the pentagon shape plate (see picture below). Remove the 5 bolts and pull out the plate. Then you can tap out the 2 seals from the back side of the pentagon plate.

Once the new seals are pressed in, there is a trick to re-mounting the pentagon plate. Since the inner diameter of the new seals are slightly smaller than the shaft diameter it will not easily slip over the shaft in this orientation. You have to expand the seals by inserting a thin walled tube with inner diameter slightly bigger the shaft diameter and guide the seals over the shaft. Once the pentagon plate is seated, you can pull out the tube. When inserting the tube, use lubricant like grease so as to not damage the seal. You don't want to damage the sealing surfaces of the seals so insert the tube gently with plenty of grease.

By shear luck (or by design) the metal tube that comes with the stock car jack is the perfect size for doing this (those German engineers have a weird sense humor).

Also, the pentagon plate has 2 o-rings, on my car the small one was flat so it was replace.
OrganicMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transaxle Reply with quote

Just scanned through the thread:

The seal that goes between the trans and diff is easly changed with out removing trans from bus. 4x 13mm nuts and a good firm yank will loosen and the hydro section comes off as a complete unit.

click here to check out Bus Luv

for the love of all rear engine VW busses...bagged to beat, rusted to restored, we luv them all...

tell your friends and share the luv...
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transaxle Reply with quote

Funny this thread is close to the top, I was just thinking about auto trans today. So a professional rebuild is $3K? To add a Peloquin and change the R/P would add how much? I hear that might be a good combo for a more powerful engine like a 1.8T or Subaru 2.5 RS.

Thoughts? Don't burn me, I'm not messing with the 2WD Westy or Syncro.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transaxle Reply with quote

buspor63 wrote:
Funny this thread is close to the top, I was just thinking about auto trans today. So a professional rebuild is $3K? To add a Peloquin and change the R/P would add how much? I hear that might be a good combo for a more powerful engine like a 1.8T or Subaru 2.5 RS.

Thoughts? Don't burn me, I'm not messing with the 2WD Westy or Syncro.

Labor shouldn't be too much more than the cost of the rebuild. Parts:

3.27 R&P $1560: http://countryhomescampers.com/shop/super-flier-ring-pinion/

Peloquin $1290: http://countryhomescampers.com/shop/peloquins-ptd/

I'd also highly recommend a thermostat controlled fan auto trans cooler when mated to a powerful engine like a 1.8T ($425): http://countryhomescampers.com/shop/super-flier-transmission-cooler-kit/
FarPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transaxle Reply with quote

Here is an update on my auto transmission work:

The van is running now with new drive shaft seals between final drive and transmission and a new oil cooler. There are now no leaks which is great. My transmission leak was fixed by replacing the circular rubber seal that's on the flange of the final drive (where transmission bolts to final drive). You get this seal when you buy a paper gasket kit from Van Cafe.

What I'm noticing now is that when I shift from Park to Reverse to Drive, I hear a little "clunk". It's a little rough. Also, when I come to a stop the downshift to first isn't as smooth as before either.

There are no problems during upshift.

Could this be due to the accelerator cable not adjusted correctly? I replaced the Trottle body so the idle is fine.

Thanks,
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transaxle Reply with quote

FarPoint wrote:
Here is an update on my auto transmission work:

The van is running now with new drive shaft seals between final drive and transmission and a new oil cooler. There are now no leaks which is great. My transmission leak was fixed by replacing the circular rubber seal that's on the flange of the final drive (where transmission bolts to final drive). You get this seal when you buy a paper gasket kit from Van Cafe.

What I'm noticing now is that when I shift from Park to Reverse to Drive, I hear a little "clunk". It's a little rough. Also, when I come to a stop the downshift to first isn't as smooth as before either.

There are no problems during upshift.

Could this be due to the accelerator cable not adjusted correctly? I replaced the Trottle body so the idle is fine.

Thanks,

I'm interested in the clunk answers too Smile
avernon82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transaxle Reply with quote

yes, likely you need to adjust your linkage. I don't think that will fix the clunk when shifting from Drive to Reverse. Mine does it, I don't worry about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: