Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

Stay tuned for more soon!

[
Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

Awesome...as usual.
You've got this nailed, and 4 wheel drive is fabulous.
Now if you could just get that Allroad European transmission imported to get a really low range you talked about, you would monopolize the Syncro crowd.

Do you ever sleep?
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

Thanks Wellington

Believe it or not, I didn't even have to remove the engine to do this. All the SAH parts are still in place. Right now I have a 012 2wd 5 speed (The transmission used in Boxsters, Passats, and 2wd Audi cars) bolted to this, the axles bolted right up.
A parts Syncro is on its way to give up its front suspension and fuel tank, the plan is to bolt up a 01A 5 speed transmission from and Audi A4 Quattro.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Birdcage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

Very cool,
I was wondering With the 1.8t conversions your doing. Are you going to do a air/water system opposed to the air/air?

Dai,
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

Birdcage wrote:
Very cool,
I was wondering With the 1.8t conversions your doing. Are you going to do a air/water system opposed to the air/air?

Dai,

I have no plans for air/ water. Things seem fine with air/air and I like the simplicity if it.

Andrew-
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

Here's the line-up

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

from left to right.....

1. the stock Vanagon 4 speed
2. a 012 5 speed 2wd
3. a 01A 5 speed Quattro
4. a 01E 6 speed Quattro

Now that I have the engine running CCW, any one of these later transmissions will bolt up to the 1.8t and turn the wheels in the right direction.
That six speed would be interesting!
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

This is a great pic, thanks. Like "the usual suspects" Laughing Laughing . Too bad you don't have an 094 for the lineup... With the 6 speed, is the spread wide enough such that a short R&P can make 1st like a granny?

This was probably asked long ago but curious how you get the turbo to spin the other way. Cool

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

there are a few of these on ebay right now for $300

Manual transmission 6 Speed 01E All Wheel Drive (AWD)
Code letters GBE, FYF
Production from 04.01
to
Allocation Model A4 from 2001
Engine 3.0 liter - 162 kW
Ratio Final drive 35 : 8 = 4.375
Z2 : Z1 = i 1st gear 28 : 8 = 3.500
2nd gear 34 : 18 = 1.889
3rd gear 33 : 25 = 1.320
4th gear 30 : 29 = 1.034
5th gear 30 : 35 = 0.857
6th gear 27 : 37 = 0.730
Reverse gear 38 : 11 = 3.455

What do you think of this gearing SODO?

Just because I happen to have these laying around all over the place,
here's the line-up with a syncro transmission at far right

xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

This was probably asked long ago but curious how you get the turbo to spin the other way. Cool

Simple, just reverse the battery teminals.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

Just thinking evil thoughts out loud .. there wouldn't happen to be a 2WD 6-speed 01E, would there?

Twisted Evil

(aiming for fire-up/test-drive of my CCW 1.8t Bay on Friday...)
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:

Audi
Final drive 4.375
1st gear 3.500

Syncro
Final drive 4.86
1st gear 3.78

I compared those using the derek drew spreadsheet and stock tires

audi R&P is 11% taller than Syncro
audi 1st is 8% taller than Syncro

combined R&P and 1st, the Audi box is geared 20% taller than the syncro. Plus any additional tallness from larger than stock 819 rotation per mile tires.

iow, the gearing on the Audi is MUCH taller, even taller than a Subaru tranny (iirc it comes out to 6% tall after the reversed 4.86 R&P is installed)

unless Im totally confused, which of course never happens.. LOL!
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

Here are a few other options. One could play mix and match with the gears and ring/pinions but your not ever going to get it down to a granny gear level.
I think the stock 4cyl Audi transmission would be fine as long as the tires are close to stock Vanagon size. It works ok for light off road use, not for the hard core off road guys.

Tristessa. Search the 01x transmission. They do show up on eBay at times for. Dry little money.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
Here are a few other options.

thanks, this is fun for me, and your comment that the tires need to be stock size makes a lot of sense.

Also that this is not relevant to a Syncro granny gear in any way. We are talking about a road car setup with tall gearing, that benefits from more than 4 forward gears.. and small tires with low ground clearance.

fwiw, the closest R&P you've listed is the 4.375 that is 11% tall

your latest list shows a 3.778 1st, that is essentially identical to a Vanagon 1st.

So with mix and match, the closest to a Van tranny would be a gearing with the audi box and stock tires that comes out 11% taller than stock overall.

this is 1-2% taller than a typical 215x75x15, or 205x70x16 BFG tire swap makes a stock tranny

and certainly a 1.8t is perfectly comfortable with ~10% taller than stock gearing.. so it comes down to Tire Size preference..

the Audi box sounds perfectly capable for a 2WD roadcar configuration.. nothing to do with a Syncro offroad

now when you get your dual range AWD setup going.. That is going to create a whole new ball game..
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

I doubt the rock-crawler crowd understands, but there are many many more of us who want AWD capability on pavement and dirt logging roads and not much more than that. Taller gearing really isn't a negative issue for these folks.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I doubt the rock-crawler crowd understands, but there are many many more of us who want AWD capability on pavement and dirt logging roads and not much more than that. Taller gearing really isn't a negative issue for these folks.

Exactly this. There are plenty of times where you want 4wd but don't need a granny low gear.

The granny low is very cool to have, I love having it in my all stock syncro westy, but the fun you can have with a Quattro box that you can get for $200 is really great, and you get the low RPMs for the highway use.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:

Exactly this. There are plenty of times where you want 4wd but don't need a granny low gear.

What size tires are your running on your Stinkro?

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
the fun you can have with a Quattro box that you can get for $200 is really great

wow!
So if Im willing to give up the rear locker, granny, and 28" tires in a Syncro, I could just bolt in an Audi box for $200?

any other costs involved?

and
What would it cost to get my stock 85 2wd westy to be AWD?Smile (it has stock size tires)
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
xoo00oox wrote:

What size tires are your running on your Stinkro?

215/75/15
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
xoo00oox wrote:
the fun you can have with a Quattro box that you can get for $200 is really great

wow!
So if Im willing to give up the rear locker, granny, and 28" tires in a Syncro, I could just bolt in an Audi box for $200?

any other costs involved?

and
What would it cost to get my stock 85 2wd westy to be AWD?Smile (it has stock size tires)

John, I'm just putting out to this community that this is an option. Obviously it's not for everyone. These Audi transmissions can work in the Syncros and they're durable and inexpensive. Show me what other options we have.

Andrew-
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

Keep up the good work Andrew. Very innovative! I love how you make this an open access endeavor. Why not offer a patented reverse running engine kit? Would probably serve a lot of VW and Porsche lovers.

Btw, agree with the granny gear and locker. I use them more as insurance and peace of mind in case I just happen to get cought up in something. Otherwise 99.9% of my driving has been on pavement and highway at that - hands down the weak point of my syncro.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647477&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: