Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eberspacher BN2 Rehab
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Eberspacher BN2 Rehab Reply with quote

So, we recently got our hands on a BN2 in "good" condition for a decent price. Everything looks great from the outside, but there are some issues. First is that the fan rubs on the metal housing. I discovered this just by rotating the fan by hand. I'm not sure how anything could be misaligned inside, but it definitely rubs on the bottom.

I also checked out the fuel pump diaphragm and it's as hard as a rock with varnished gas evident inside the cap. I'm going to assume that the pressure regulator diaphragms are screwed as well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It seems that a lot of the info that used to be available on these heaters disappeared along with Russ Wolfe's site. While there's some general stuff out there, most Samba posts seem to be more about installation than rehab. I found this in the classifieds (and reached out the seller)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=489767

And this on the site

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/ebersp...201991.pdf

But I'm not sure what the best next move is. Clearly, I need some material for rebuilding the diaphragms before testing out the heater with gas, but are there any other tests to run in the meantime on other parts?

For fun, here's the heater without the wiring cover and the pump removed

sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN2 Rehab Reply with quote

Someone, maybe notchboy? has a good thread in the Bus forum about BN4 rehab, a lot of it might be applicable to yours.

So is your plan just to install this to replace the one your car has?
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN2 Rehab Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Someone, maybe notchboy? has a good thread in the Bus forum about BN4 rehab, a lot of it might be applicable to yours.

So is your plan just to install this to replace the one your car has?

I just checked out the BN4 thread (it is by notchboy)....there's lots of good stuff on there but not about the diaphragms as the BN4 uses a metered fuel pump (that gets rid of all the rubber diaphragms) like the one that went missing for the BA4 on our Squareback. Tram.....if you're out there.....did you ever find that pump?

It seems that notchboy had some diaphragm material as "recently" as 2009 but who knows now?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=335926&start=60

We're not replacing the heater in our car.....this is for an "off label" application. More on that later!
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN2 Rehab Reply with quote

I was looking around at some materials for diaphragms and Buna-N came up several times. Anyone have any experience with that stuff or know what thickness is best for making fuel pump and pressure regulator diaphragms?

https://www.zoro.com/buna-n-rubber-sheets/c/10299/

Also made some progress with the fuel pump. By pressing down on the metal center of the diaphragm, I was able to get it to move. It made crispy/crackly sounds as some of the old varnish cracked off but I was able to get the pump to run a bit off the car battery. It was finicky about where I held the alligator clip on the negative end. If I clipped it right onto the connector, nothing happened, but if I touched the connector in different spots with the alligator clip, I got a reaction like in the video. I wonder if something electrical further inside needs some cleaning up.

Link
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN2 Rehab Reply with quote

I still think you should get that BA4 up and running Smile
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN2 Rehab Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
I still think you should get that BA4 up and running Smile

Yeah, I really want to and handling the BN4 has shown me that these heaters are not all that intimidating after all. Still, I'd rather address the BA4 with it out of the car first which means dropping the drivetrain so I can get to it. Plus I need a fuel pump for it b/c ours got lost.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN2 Rehab Reply with quote

Well you seem to take the engine out on a semi-regular basis, so you know, next time you have it out.... Very Happy
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN2 Rehab Reply with quote

Russ was one of my first real information sources on the BN4. That ad for the BN4 info was one of the first I bought as well as emailing the Espar company that would send the same info out to you for free. Thats what you see on that link to my Eberspacher 101 page.

You have an early BN4 with all mechanical pumps and metering. The diaphragm in the pump can be easily fixed. The two in the top of the unit - not so much as they have weighted brass fittings pressed into them that can not be separated.

The BN4 just after this has a metering pump and a much simpler design - for a reason.

The BA4 is a much better design as well. Just didnt reach the popularity of the BA6 in the Bus and Vanagon.

My first heater ever was this kind that I installed in that Anthracite 62 I restored. I was lucky in that the metering diaphragm were semi playable.

I have a facebook page that has international connections on it. If you are serious about the BN4 then you will need to get past the metering diaphram issue. If you dont, then part this out and fix the better BA6.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1029635500462666/

I have material that Russ Wolfe gave me. Since Ive gone to the metering pump type BN4 and BA6 I have little use for it.

Lots of my most recent vids on youtube are about Gas Heater and how they work. Here are some of the older relevant to this topic ones.

Link

Link

Link

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neena
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN2 Rehab Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Well you seem to take the engine out on a semi-regular basis, so you know, next time you have it out.... Very Happy

Touche! But it has been 13 months and 22,000 miles...so we might (finally) have figured something out!! Laughing
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN2 Rehab Reply with quote

notchboy....thanks for your generous response!

I just paid what I think is a good price for uncommon VW parts in the NYC area for 3 BN2 cores. Hopefully, I can transfer parts b/w the BN4 and the BN2. If not, maybe I can build one good heater from the various BN2 cores.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2025918

I could only access one of the regulator diaphragms as the other one (under the regulator screw) seemed to require more muscle than I felt comfortable exerting. The accessible one looked like this.....the screw area was completely pliable but the raised center part was firm as hell. I don't know if this is b/c there's metal beneath or not. Here's a pic

Finally, is there a possibility that a metered fuel pump could be used with a mechanically regulated heater? I imagine that a metered pump would put out what an electrical pump and mechanical regulator would put out but I have no facts to base that on.

And how drastically different are the various metered pumps? I found an ad for 221 261 467 A but according to germansupply.com my BA4 wants a 221 261 467 AU......is there a big difference b/w A and AU?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1728107
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN2 Rehab Reply with quote

Very few of these parts swap between the old mechanical type and the later metering pump.

The single biggest reason is the fan in the later units aso drive the metering pump with a contact point system. These type you have here the pump runs itself as you started to see with your test vid. Completely different animals.

Maybe you'll either find a solution to the diaphragms or get a usable one in the parts.

Of all my years into type 3s Ive wanted to have a nose mounted East West config Eberspacher in my notch. The biggest reason I never did was these problems Im describing. I was going to put a later BN2 in - but would have to figure out the 12v deal first.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN2 Rehab Reply with quote

This morning, we picked up the 3 heaters I mentioned buying the other day. Got them home and got 2 good diaphragms (one better than the other) for the pressure regulator, so at least I'll be able to test the thing out. I also did a little more digging around for rebuilding the diaphragms and ran across this old thread on shoptalk....

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1970&start=15

14 posts down, a guy claims:

Went to a Gasket builder , got a bunch of "diaphragm" stock (they gave it for FREE!)
and promptly replaced all diaphragms: in Fuel pump and the Pressiure regulator. Was able to reuse all the riveted assemblies.. just don't be an oaf when dissasembling:-)
Entire process took about 1 1/2hours.

I'm not really seeing how it's possible to separate the halves of the brass parts and notchboy says they're inseparable but this guy suggests otherwise. I'd PM him on shoptalk but he was last active there in 2003 so that's a dead end.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN2 Rehab Reply with quote

Show me pictures both sides of the diaphrams. I can tell you how they are put together and how they will come apart.

The rubber material you will need for fuel is either viton or another fluoroelastomer.
Buna-n....which is Nitryl....is not suitable.
Some purpose made diaphragm sheets are using either a nylon or polyester scrim cloth that is impregnated with a heat cured polyester resin. You see this reddish material in items like accelerator pump diaphragms etc.

The assembly method for most diaphragms is similar to what you see in a vacuum advance diaphram. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN2 Rehab Reply with quote

The pump is super easy. Get the diaphragm separated from the body then just pin it out like a nut.

I also have plenty of gasket material Russ Wolfe sent me that I can pass some on to you. As well as copies of the manuals he scanned.

Wink

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN2 Rehab Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Show me pictures both sides of the diaphrams. I can tell you how they are put together and how they will come apart.

The rubber material you will need for fuel is either viton or another fluoroelastomer.
Buna-n....which is Nitryl....is not suitable.
Some purpose made diaphragm sheets are using either a nylon or polyester scrim cloth that is impregnated with a heat cured polyester resin. You see this reddish material in items like accelerator pump diaphragms etc.

The assembly method for most diaphragms is similar to what you see in a vacuum advance diaphram. Ray

Ray, here are some pics. Let me know if you need better ones!!

Front of diaphragm 1 (the one behind the pressure adjustment bolt)

Rear of same:

Front of other diaphragm:

Rear of same:

neena
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN2 Rehab Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

I also have plenty of gasket material Russ Wolfe sent me that I can pass some on to you. As well as copies of the manuals he scanned.

Material and scanned manuals would be amazing! We're gonna have to name whichever heater we get working after you Very Happy
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN2 Rehab Reply with quote

It's a snow day in NYC, so I figured I'd poke around the heaters a bit and see what I could discover. From the used parts I picked up over the weekend, I at least have a working glow plug, 2 good fans, and the 2 good diaphragms for the regulator I mentioned the other day. I don't have the knowhow yet for testing the rest of the parts, but I feel pretty good that I didn't get hosed on the deal.

As for the heater I started this thread out with, the fan definitely works. Problem is, I can't get the heater halves to separate. It seems to be on account of this rubber boot that is very very firmly attached to the intake inside the heater b/c this is the sticking point when I try to pry the halves apart. It seems strange to me that this would be the hold up as the boot is clearly connected to something on the bottom half of the heater. All screws connecting the halves are out, fuel lines are off, etc. I don't want to pull a gorilla move and just yank this boot off and tear it. The other heaters I got just had a remnant of paper/aluminum hose in this location, not this fancy boot. Any tips?

D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN2 Rehab Reply with quote

Okay, nevermind, a little more wiggling did the trick!!

Hey, Ray, if you're out there, what do you think about getting those diaphragms apart? I can't tell if that small nipple in the middle is the end of the rivet or if the slightly larger circle is also part of it.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN2 Rehab Reply with quote

D/A/N wrote:

Hey, Ray, if you're out there, what do you think about getting those diaphragms apart? I can't tell if that small nipple in the middle is the end of the rivet or if the slightly larger circle is also part of it.

Sorry...its been busy. Those are assembled EXACTLY like the the diaphragm inside of aD-jet fuel pressure regulator.

That little ball knob/nipple in the center should be a floating part snapped into a bore with a lip and should pop right out.

The vacuum advance diaphragms are built largely the same. One side has a male tang that goes through the diaphragm sheet into a hole in the other part and is usually swaged to it or is some cases is tack welded.

So you have the large flat brass/bronze button on the other side opposite the nipple. The steel washer flange is just to spread the clamping load and also makes sure that the diaphragm stays largely flat and parallel and also limits how far it can stretch/expand. This is why it has curved edges.

The brass part on the nipple side most probably has a nub under that nipple where it was stamped to expand the pin coming through from the other side and effectively swages the parts together into a tight stack. Usually a polyester or fuel proof sealer similar to Indian head is also used.

The trick...just like with rebuilding vacuum advance cannisters... is to grind away teh end of the male pin that has been swaged...to allow the female end to come away. On reassembly...you need to grind back the flange on the male side to allow the pin to protrude farther...and possibly thin the flange on the female side so enough stick through that you can re-swage it with a punch.

Let me see if I can find one of my FPR regulator diaphragms later today to illustrate what I am saying. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN2 Rehab Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
D/A/N wrote:

Sorry...its been busy. Those are assembled EXACTLY like the the diaphragm inside of aD-jet fuel pressure regulator.

That little ball knob/nipple in the center should be a floating part snapped into a bore with a lip and should pop right out.

The vacuum advance diaphragms are built largely the same. One side has a male tang that goes through the diaphragm sheet into a hole in the other part and is usually swaged to it or is some cases is tack welded.

So you have the large flat brass/bronze button on the other side opposite the nipple. The steel washer flange is just to spread the clamping load and also makes sure that the diaphragm stays largely flat and parallel and also limits how far it can stretch/expand. This is why it has curved edges.

The brass part on the nipple side most probably has a nub under that nipple where it was stamped to expand the pin coming through from the other side and effectively swages the parts together into a tight stack. Usually a polyester or fuel proof sealer similar to Indian head is also used.

The trick...just like with rebuilding vacuum advance cannisters... is to grind away teh end of the male pin that has been swaged...to allow the female end to come away. On reassembly...you need to grind back the flange on the male side to allow the pin to protrude farther...and possibly thin the flange on the female side so enough stick through that you can re-swage it with a punch.

Let me see if I can find one of my FPR regulator diaphragms later today to illustrate what I am saying. Ray

Thanks for the info, Ray! What you describe makes sense. I suspect the trick (if there is one) lies in how to grind away just enough material on the male end of the pin to separate the halves while also having enough left to re-swage it on reassembly. Should I fail to strike the right balance, is there an adhesive that could be used to get everything back together or is there nothing that would be fuel resistant over enough time to be viable? I suppose it's probably possible to remove the pin entirely and tap a hole for a small machine screw to hold it all together too, no?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: