Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

82 WestyRabbit Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

I pulled the right rear window to replace the seal and check for rust. I was quite pleased to see that the paint was in perfect condition with no rust what so ever.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So I tinted the window and reinstalled it with a new seal.

Unfortunately, my sliding door window was not quite as clean.

So I will have to clean up that rust and paint under the gasket seal before I can reinstall the side window. I also tinted the rear hatch window. The only thing I learned from my tinting experience is that next time I need to tint something, I am going to pay someone else to do it.

I am only tinting the three most rearward windows. This gives a little bit of additional privacy in the bed area without making the standard living area in the van too dark. I have a full time back up camera that works great as a rear view mirror. It allows me to see a lot more than I could with the stock Westy rear view mirror. And with the light truck mirrors instead of the floppy mirrors maybe I will finally have rearward visibility out of the back of the van. John
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

For my slow season, I have been very busy, and I haven't been able to do much work on my van.

I installed new hookup boxes from GoWesty; although after doing some research, and hearing that people are having problems with them leaking, I'm thinking that I'm going to take them off and seal them better. I still have to make a block-off plate for where the refrigerator vent used to be.

No VW van is complete without bumper stickers and a dog. Here is my start to my sticker collection. I am unwilling to put stickers on paint so they are just going on the back window.

I decided that I did't like the look of the wood paneling. So I am laminating old aviation charts over where I had made new door panels and headliner. So far I have only completed the sliding door panel and the ceiling on the headbanger cabinet. John
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Well isn't that cool ! Sliding door and cabinet bottom !..... You just glued them on or ?
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Yes. I had them lamanated then I used 3m spray adhesive. I like the look. We will see how it holds up long term. The head liners are next. John
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

For my birthday this year, my mother made me a quilt for my van. She captured the VW spirit well.

This is the front view

This is the back view

Then we laid it out in the van

I don't know if you can see the quilting detail in the red/burgundy section here, but if you can, it is cool.

Close up of main picture

Then she made us pillow cases

Thanks, mom, you are the best.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Nice work, mom! That's super cool.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0
'85 928S
'19 Golf R
'02 Beetle GLS

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: