Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

82 WestyRabbit Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

I am not sure how it is supposed to look, but that should be close. I have since pressed in the new wheel studs, installed the Go Westy break drums, and now it's a rolling chaise. Now onto the engine and transmission.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

I have gained so much knowledge from other people's posts I am glad my post can be helpful to some one else
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Hello every body. I have not had much time to work on the van as this is my busy season, but it hasn't stopped me from getting some pictures Very Happy VW Logo Blue Bus

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I got some work done on the transmission I replaced the paper gaskets cleaned out the vent holes inspected the ring in pinion and looked at the gears and bearings. I did this on both the DX four speed and the five speed transmission I have. I liked the insides of the four speed transmission more than the five speeds so i'm going to reinstall it instead of the five speed transmission I've also driven this transmission a lot of miles and knowing that it was functioning properly.

I modified the sift linkage so I can easily go from the DX transmission to the five speed transmission later if I decide to and I refiled the transmissions with red line MT90.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

I've not done much work over the summer because I've been traveling a lot for work. On Tuesday I picked up a used a Tiico engine that I intend to install in the van.

It needs some cleaning up and some service work. The engine was new in 2008 so I'm not planing to rebuild it. I have to make a new exhaust.

My van started life as a diesel, and it does not have the correct direct plug for the Tiico wiring harness. Hopefully I can find someone with an install manual and a wiring diagram so that I can install the correct connections between this engine and my van.

This engine change is a hard choice for me. This engine setup requires high-test gas, and my '87 Gulf engine didn't, but I think it's worth it to upgrade from a Bosch CIS fuel injection to an electronic fuel injection.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

I don't know the Tiico that well but it looks like that one has the better later style accessory bracketry. Big plus over Tiicos first version of that.

I bet the yahoo Tiico group has pdf files of manuals etc.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/tiico/info

You may have read the thread but somewhere here is a thread about different versions of ECUs for the Tiico. Something about the tune and rich or lean running issues. Yes. Here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=554200&highlight=tiico+ecu

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Yes it is a gen 3 kit. I am trying to figure out how to navigate the yahoo group as we speak. Bolting in the engine will not be a problem. I should be able to figure out the wiring but that would be like fixing the van with out the Bentley. I wasn't thinking of going with tiico stuff but I found it in the classifieds just before I started rebuilding my 1.8 and it was within driving distance from home. I am a little afraid of the tiico fuel injection but I was going to have make all new fue lines for the CSI Injection anyway. I think this approach will knock months of getting the van back on the road.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

ya the yahoo group thing. I'd tried to join but it required opening a ymail account and they wanted my phone number so forget that.

FWIW.....

Assuming you got that Tiico with the wiring harness and ECU, it shouldn't be too hard to interface. The engine management would obviously require keyed 12 Volts from the 15 buss but I can't say if the ECU would require a constant 12 Volts for memory settings for things like OBD and ISV position. It may. You could probably get away with just using the stock oil pressure light connected to the lower pressure oil switch for a while. I don't think the Diesel c/w this part but it isn't terribly hard to install a WBX 'dynamic oil pressure' L board to accommodate both oil pressure switches.

Would you need to install a stock Vanagon gas fuel pump?

I don't know the diesels very well but it may be that the wire from the ignition switch is technically undersized for amount of Amps the Tiico engine management (including coil) would draw. I recall measuring what my Motronic system drew. It wasn't much. Like maybe 4 Amps at idle? Anyhow. That may be hair splitting stuff but I ran a new wire from the ignition switch to power the Motronic engine management. Or, as Mark Ward has suggested to me, use a relay with a diode. The OEM wire from ignition switch would trigger it and relay 30 could connect to starter stud or other B+ source.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Yes I was thinking of putting a relay in the back to power all the engine stuff. I do have all the components. It looks like there are only about seven wires you have to figure out what to do with. It's a much simpler install than Bosch CIS and making all new fuel lines. The Tiico kit used the stock fuel pump wiring so I will have to make a wiring harness for that too. I joined the Yahoo Tiico group as well. Most of the information I need should be available there. The Yahoo groups are hard to navigate. I use them for an airplane I am working on and getting information from it is sometimes difficult.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Did you get that Tiico from the Samba classifieds? If so, that was a killer deal.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

82westyrabbit wrote:
Yes I was thinking of putting a relay in the back to power all the engine stuff. I do have all the components. It looks like there are only about seven wires you have to figure out what to do with. It's a much simpler install than Bosch CIS and making all new fuel lines. The Tiico kit used the stock fuel pump wiring so I will have to make a wiring harness for that too. I joined the Yahoo Tiico group as well. Most of the information I need should be available there. The Yahoo groups are hard to navigate. I use them for an airplane I am working on and getting information from it is sometimes difficult.

I think you have this covered! Wink

I've told this story before but on my first swap (on my '81), the relay I installed to carry + to the engine management worked but I found that if the e-brake was NOT engaged when I shut off the engine, the engine wouldn't shut off! As far as I could tell, power was back feeding through the D+ circuit to the switch side of relay. Once the brake warning light was on, the bulb created enough draw to allow the relay switch to open. That was a puzzler.

There was a fellow on this list that swore by CIS. Loved the simplicity of it. I can see that.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Did you get that Tiico from the Samba classifieds? If so, that was a killer deal.

I hope he did. That way I can stop trying to talk myself into calling on that ad.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Yes it was the one in the classifieds. I was not looking for a tiico motor because of the fuel injection problems and I probably have enough CIS parts to run my van for the rest of my life. But their were enough positives that I went for it. Unfortunately the exsust is not that good so I will still have to fabricate a new one.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

I think you can run Digifant II from a Mk2 Golf/Jetta with a Tiico, which is way more prevalent and pretty robust

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

I have not done enough research to figure that out yet it was a impulse buy. I would change it over to digifant II in a heartbeat if I can figure it out. This was a buy first research later deal. My van is ready to start the installation so I will work on cleaning it up doing the service work and hanging it in the van over the next week or two. Hopefully that will gives me enough time to work out the wiring and fuel system.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Aside from possible spare parts hassle or lean run condition, whats wrong with the Tiico engine management?

Tiico uses Motronic MP9.0 ?

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

The spare parts issue and the lean running are the only reasons. If it's motronic 9.0 I have not figured that out yet. My ecu is the c model So it should be all right I will get it running and see how it goes. I am not into reinventing the wheel right now if I can plug and play that's what I am going to do.That is the value in doing it this way for me right now. Now out to the shop to keep cleaning it up to paint it
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

right ok. Totally understand. For my own morbid curiosity, had a look around. A pdf list I found showed at least a couple different size VW engines that use MP9.0 Motronic. I'm sure you'll find the correct info on the yahoo Tiico forum though.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Yes tiico uses motronic 9.0. You are a little a head of me in the learning curve. The installation and repair manual plus the fuel injection manual are available at the tiico yahoo. I will print hard copies of them as soon as I get a chance. There is a lot of information on what parts they used to build the kit.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

A good deal on the tiico engine. Not so much. It was run with a blow exsust gasket until it ruined cylinder head. I am thinking of buying a new cylinder head and rebuilding my 1.8 lower end. I have to figure out if that would play with the motronic fuel injection. I think I will call at FAS today and see what they think. I will have to think on this for a few days. I think I have enough left over parts for someone else to do a i4 conversation with 82 diesel part and a bunch of other parts to parts fowerd. Once I figure out what I am really doing.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Sorry to hear of the damaged head. I haven't seen the Tiico knock sensor but my guess is that its the same crystalline type as used on the ABA Motronic. I'd think finding an effective mount point on the CIS block for that type of knock sensor would be one challenge. The 1.8 Digifant II uses a very similar, if not the same looking sensor

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: