Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

82 WestyRabbit Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

I was thinking of just putting a muffler down the left side until I thought about how vulnerable the back of the engine would be. Reworking the front pipe would just be to give me a warm feeling.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

I finished up the exhaust today.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The muffler is hanging from a FAS exhaust hanger kit. I bought universal corners from a speed shop and cut them apart to fabricate the exhaust. I may add one more exhaust hangar before I am done.

My engine sits up higher than most Tiico engines because I am using 82 diesel carrier bars and an 82 diesel transmission mount. I also am not using the 20mm spacers that come with the Tiico engine kit. This put my alternator up too high to clear the engine deck lid. So I have machined the alternator bracket to make the alternator sit low enough that I do not need to put a bubble in my rear deck lid.

The bracket now needs some welding, and I do not have the equipment for welding aluminum, so off to the welder it has gone. When the bracket gets back everything will be very close to being ready to run.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

It's quite safe up there I'd guess also, if you can't get it on the ground, you can't drive it off in the night Wink

82westyrabbit wrote:
It is a parking solution. I didn't have enough lot line to build two car garage. So I went up instead. That's the van's permanent parking spot. The wife's Miata fits nicely under it when the van is not so far apart.

619 201 0310
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

I welded up a bracket that bolts to the old snorkel mounts to reposition the air filter.

The K&N air filter now mounts behind the left tail light.

The rubber boot from a 2.1 Wasserboxer now goes from the Tiico manifold to the bracket that holds the air cleaner.

A friend welded up the alternator bracket so it is now ready to re-install on the van.

I will send pictures of the bracket installed after I get as far as painting the bracket.

I borrowed a torque wrench so I could re-torque my axel nuts. I really hope to have this vehicle running in the next week or so.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Looks great man!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

82westyrabbit wrote:

A friend welded up the alternator bracket so it is now ready to re-install on the van.

I really hope to have this vehicle running in the next week or so.

Is that what welds should look like? Wink Mine NEVER look that good.

Nice to see the progress. If it weren't for my other Vanagon springing a coolant leak, I might get my swap running before you! Smile

Thanks for the images. That alternator bracket solution looks pretty cool.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

I started the engine today.

Here is a link that shows that the engine can run.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByOs_48fMORwRVdwYjh4WDljRkJVSkJaUTNBYWx5U1VlcXFn

It doesn't idle correctly. I think there is something wrong with the distributor as it moves around a lot. When the previous owner removed the engine, from the previous van, he hit the distributor on something smashing the distributor cap and the rotor in the process. I am assuming the distributor has a bent shaft. That may be why it is not running on all 4 cylinders. I will have to try a different different distributor on Sunday. Fortunately I have four distributors. Once I can get it to run on all 4 cylinders I will have to have a friend come over with a scan tool to help me set up the computer.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Nice!

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

The van runs a lot better now that it runs on all four cylinders. I took off the new tune up parts and reinstalled my oil stuff. Now it runs a lot better. I got the timing set. Now I have to have a friend come over with a scan tool to ck for codes and set up the idle and CO.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

I try to set up my ecu with Ross tech software but was unable to get it to read. No doubt operator error. What are people using for obd 1 scan tools? Thanks
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Does the Tiico support blink codes?

Are you looking to do a throttle body alignment?

Thats odd that RossTech won't see your ECU.

I was playing around with my RossTech software recently. Try connecting the dongle, turn key to ignition on, then launch the software. Or, launch software, connect dongle, turn key to ignition on. Or, before trying all that, launch RossTech then under "Options", run a port test. If the laptop can't see the dongle, it'll say so.

link to what I mean

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/option_screen.php

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Hi Neil. Ross tec is the recommended software. I was having trouble getting the computer the adapter and the ecu to play together. I am pretty sure this is operator error. The Ross tec stuff is borrowed. I was hoping to find a stand-alone scan tool that would work. Tiico says you are supposes to pug in the vag 1551. Clear the codes set the timing and the co. My friend with the alignment rack who is going to help me set up the suspension will problem have something from back in the day. But I would like to have the engine set up before I show up so I don’t pull in to many favors at once.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

John. Here's a link to the Rosstech FAQ. Quite a few pages!

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/vag-com-faq.php

What version of Rosstech are you using? Is it the free version? Ya it could be user error, BTDT many times LOL but there could be an incompatibility issue between the laptop, and/or OS and the dongle. That said, I found that a free limited version of that software and a non approved parallel port eBay knock off dongle worked on my old Toughbook to pull and delete codes.

On my swap, I found that Rosstech didn't recognize one of my spare ABA ECU's. Odd. Don't know why.

I have seen posts on the internet regarding throttle body alignment processes that don't involve a computer etc but can't verify if they work or not.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Hi Neil. I don’t know anything about the Ross tech stuff yet. The laptop computer wouldn’t recognize anything. I have a friend with a vag 1552 that should work. We will try the Ross tech stuff again in a few days. Tuesday or Thursday next week it will go to the alignment rack. Until then I am trying to get all the lights working so I can drive it home when it’s done.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

My friend towed the van to his alignment shop.

We did a four wheels alignment (twice) once to get it close.

We drove it for a few miles and re-aligned the wheels because everything was so far off because of all of the new bushings.

I setup the ECU with Ross Tech Software. Drove it for a few miles and it didn't generate any codes.
Last but not least I drove it 60 miles home.
I had a few small coolant leaks to take care of. I also have to take care of some rattles.
The intake noise with the K&N air filter is very loud (like a Bugatti Veyron or jet aircraft.) I will have to figure out what I'm going to do about it.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

It's got new shoes!

The new engine seems to go right along.

Verified correct by GPS. 75 mph at 3200 rpm.
I don't normally run it anywhere near that fast, so I wish that the rpm was actually a little higher.

It is an air cooled transmission so the gearing is just a little higher than I would like it. I had been running 23 inch tall tires to keep the gearing lower, but I could not get properly rated tires in the smaller size. These are supposed to be stock height at 26 inches. The tires and wheels were supposed to bolt right on, but not so much it appears. I had to make custom spacers for the front so they would clear the steering knuckle and the center caps won't go on. I have plans for that, but I have not gotten that far yet.

Just a few pictures of the engine compartment for anyone who cares:

I am getting lots of peace signs as I drive it. I've put about 250 miles on it since I got it aligned and with the new engine. I am starting to gain some confidence in it.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

I stared to install headlight relays yesterday and when I lowered the fuse panel I found a bunch of smoked wires. I stared with cleaning the ground trees and replacing all the push on connectors. Then I installed local grounds for the head lights. I replaced the complete harness from the fuse panel to the ignition switch from my shed (parts van) out back. I cut back the main power wire until I got to good wire and spliced in new wire. I installed a 100amp blue sea power distribution block with ring connectors above the fuse panel. Now main power goes to that and all the unfused hot wires start there and go to where ever vw intended to keep the heat away from the fuse panel. All the fuses are still as vw intended. I installed a circuit breaker in the main power lead In case something unforeseen happens. The load share relay wires look like they have gotten pretty hot too. I am assuming that means that my heater’s blower is partly frozen so I see pulling the dash in my future. I think I will disconnected it for now so I can camp in it this summer. I am almost back to where I thought I was to begin with. Now I can install the headlight relays and track down some unknown after market wires. I was too busy working to get good pictures of the death and destruction. I have the wiring harness out of a rusty 82 diesel van I stripped last year and it looks the same as mine did so I have to assume this is normal wear and tear. I am the only one who has driven or worked on this van since 88 and I never smelled any smoke so this must have happened a little at time as opposed to a single event. It will be a few days before I can get back on it to finish up the details. John
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Are the wipers also on that load reduction relay? Im too lazy to retrieve my bentley from the west kitchen drawer to check.

Over the years ive found a few melted white prtoective covers on the larger wires to the fuse panel on my 81. Best i can tell, that was due to normal wear and tear.

Good to see the progress. Your restoration is inspiring. Maybe i just need one westfalia. A ground up restored one.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Yes Neil the wipers are on the load reduction relay. I should ck and see how much draw is on both of those circuits. Ether way I will pull the dash to clean out the heater box lube the blower fan and serves the wiper motor. I hope to put that job off for a few months the wires are mostly taken care of now. I will see if I can get some pictures of what I have done with wires but it’s buried pretty deep under the dashboard. John
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Awesome restoration! thanks for all the pics, wish my floors looked like that when i pulled up my carpet!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: