Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So I disassembled my Westy
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:52 pm    Post subject: So I disassembled my Westy Reply with quote

As the title says, I disassembled my 85 Westy interior 2+ years ago thinking ai would be reassembling it in a few months.... Fast forward and I have bags of hardware with fading sharpie markings and having a tough time remembering what some parts are for. Hoping I can get some help here.

I am currently refurbing the top bunk and came across these two plates marked driver and passenger with a baggie of screws that says "bunk plates". I refinished the wood on the too bunk and wrapped it in vinyl so dont see any matching holes.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If anyone can explain where they go or provide pics would be helpful.

I'll be tackling the fold down rear seat soon. That looks to be a fun one. lol.

Thank you in advance.

“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: So I disassembled my Westy Reply with quote

Found where the plates go.

So next issues I see are the drape rods. Anyone have pics of where all these go?
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: So I disassembled my Westy Reply with quote

Im no help here but it reminds me of a van I bought from some meth heads, They had disassembled the van to the last screw. Piles of screws and hardware and rods and panels and tubes and knobs etc. One door was removed for who knows what reason. Took me 6 months of 3 hour nights to make any sense of the hardware nightmare I got w the van. Not sure the low price of 3k was fair in the end. I still have a rubbermaide tub full of unidentified stuff that may or may not be VW/westy related.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: So I disassembled my Westy Reply with quote

AZ Landshaper wrote:
Im no help here but it reminds me of a van I bought from some meth heads, They had disassembled the van to the last screw. Piles of screws and hardware and rods and panels and tubes and knobs etc. One door was removed for who knows what reason. Took me 6 months of 3 hour nights to make any sense of the hardware nightmare I got w the van. Not sure the low price of 3k was fair in the end. I still have a rubbermaide tub full of unidentified stuff that may or may not be VW/westy related.

No meth here but was disassembled for "restoration". I bagged and marked everything but didnt anticipate so much time passing. I literally thought it would be a couple of months. Some items I hadnt planned on reinstalling, like the OG cabinets/kitchen, so I didnt make any notes on them. Definitely should have at least taken pics.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: So I disassembled my Westy Reply with quote

cool looking van

the sliding door window is in backwards and is going to howl like a banshee going down the road

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: So I disassembled my Westy Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
cool looking van

the sliding door window is in backwards and is going to howl like a banshee going down the road

Thank you. Maybe the pic but the windows are in properly. Same way they came out.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: So I disassembled my Westy Reply with quote

The sliding window is indeed installed backwards.

“Drape rods,” do you the top rails holding all but the slider door curtain? Or the lower cables?

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: So I disassembled my Westy Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
but the windows are in properly. Same way they came out.

I thought it was the screen (the vertical bar) but upon looking closer you appear to be correct. my bad Embarassed

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: So I disassembled my Westy Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

for those that might run across this comment - I reversed my windows to have the opening on the back side both for bringing the opening closer to the folks in the rear seat and that I can leave it open not having to worry someone can just reach inside to unlock the door.

I have Thousands of miles on it reversed in this convenient orientation and no noise nor water intrusion while driving

I just wish it was possible to do this swap/reversal on the later doors

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: So I disassembled my Westy Reply with quote

^^^

Amazing. I have been in 4 vans where someone messed up and all of them whistled and leaked.

I'm surprised the felt seal doesn't let water pour in when driving in the rain.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: So I disassembled my Westy Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
The sliding window is indeed installed backwards.

“Drape rods,” do you the top rails holding all but the slider door curtain? Or the lower cables?

Nope. It's the same way it came out and it was the factory rubber. The windows are dark tinted so its hard to see but the opening is at the front on both sides.

I have all the hardware, but blanking on what goes where. I have various cables and rods. Looking at it it's starting to come back to me.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: So I disassembled my Westy Reply with quote

ok. I have another one. This makes sense in my head but is this the correct position on these?

dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: So I disassembled my Westy Reply with quote

I think you need to swap sides and turn that around. in that position, the front part of the bed won't be able to swing up and on top of the rest of the bed. I need to pop the top on mine to look for sure but I think what I said is correct.
2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI
Way too many previously owned to list!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: