Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AAR full open or not?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankbonatelli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:02 pm    Post subject: AAR full open or not? Reply with quote

So here is my question.
As it states in the subject line. Is it open 1/2 3/4 or is that full open.
--------
So I have cold engine no idle issue. Been in the shop for weeks now and ever nite i replace vac lines and tighten all my clamps that i have put on every single hose i can find.
Yes Ive follow the DigiFant pdf and as far as I can tell things are looking like an AAR needs to be replaced however before i spend 200 and if i can find one i thought id ask if any one knows how open is open.
================================================
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Open room temp say 5C (is this full open or 1/2 open)
--------

Closed after 15 mins in oven @ 200F (Yup closed)
--------

Open after 30 mins in freezer at -6C (again after 30mins is this full OPEN)
--------

AAR from 1985 Vanagon AdventureWagon
=================================================

Really that's all I'm looking for, some form of confirmation of its state at cold temp. If it is not fully opening that's a clear decision to replace it.
Any thoughts?[/img]
============
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: AAR full open or not? Reply with quote

If the engine starts, idles well, and doesn't stall readily when driven cold then the AAR is doing its job.
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: AAR full open or not? Reply with quote

From your photos, it's fully closing when hot but not fully opening (bypassing the throttle) when cold. From late 80's memory dealing with early CIS injection, the "warm-up valve" was completely open when cold. Seeing that your valve does move and being realistic, the amount it opens when cold should be enough to keep you from stalling out. You may need to raise you base idle screw more open.

BK
frankbonatelli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: AAR full open or not? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
If the engine starts, idles well, and doesn't stall readily when driven cold then the AAR is doing its job.

No sir, it will NOT idle when cold. It stumbles till eventually it stalls. I had a lot of loose hose fittings and when i first started the hunt i couldn't even make it to the back of the van to catch it before stalling. Now after all hoses have been replaced and clamped tightly I can at least reach the rear and catch it before she stalls out. If i let it stumble along eventually it stalls. As it warms up it gets stronger till warm and then its runs like a top.

I really don't want to adjust idle because it ran for two years smoothly with out issue.
============
frankbonatelli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: AAR full open or not? Reply with quote

1988M5 wrote:
From your photos, it's fully closing when hot but not fully opening (bypassing the throttle) when cold. From late 80's memory dealing with early CIS injection, the "warm-up valve" was completely open when cold. Seeing that your valve does move and being realistic, the amount it opens when cold should be enough to keep you from stalling out. You may need to raise you base idle screw more open.

BK

I would agree with you on that note if it had not been running so dam smoothly for the past few years of summer and winter driving. It has been an amazing van running problem free since purchase! So if that's the case and its good enough to stay running even in -6C or lower I guess i must move on in the hunt. If i find a wrecker part i may test swap one.
Thanks for your input.
============
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: AAR full open or not? Reply with quote

frankbonatelli wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

No sir, it will NOT idle when cold. It stumbles till eventually it stalls. I had a lot of loose hose fittings and when i first started the hunt i couldn't even make it to the back of the van to catch it before stalling. Now after all hoses have been replaced and clamped tightly I can at least reach the rear and catch it before she stalls out. If i let it stumble along eventually it stalls. As it warms up it gets stronger till warm and then its runs like a top.

I really don't want to adjust idle because it ran for two years smoothly with out issue.

Spray it with choke cleaner and see what that does.
frankbonatelli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: AAR full open or not? Reply with quote

Quote:

Yea did that. Gave it a thorough cleaning
Thanks for the input tho.
============
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: AAR full open or not? Reply with quote

frankbonatelli wrote:
Quote:

Yea did that. Gave it a thorough cleaning
Thanks for the input tho.

Now maybe hit it with some quality lube so it keeps working

Last edited by Wildthings on Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
BrownLoaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: AAR full open or not? Reply with quote

Looks pretty similar to mine after a full chill in the freezer:

The AAR is a simple mechanism and I believe failures are uncommon. IIRC it's simply an electrically resistant element that when receiving 12 volts (engine on) heats up, expands/rotates, which rotates the air disc into the closed position. The disc is only in an open position when ambient temperatures are low enough. Closure is dependent on the time the engine has been running and how cold (how far open the disc) was to begin with. So there isn't a lot that can go wrong.

Last edited by BrownLoaf on Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frankbonatelli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: AAR full open or not? Reply with quote

loganthecyclist wrote:
Looks pretty similar to mine after a full chill in the freezer.

That's exactly what I needed to see! If yours has been running fine and it looks identical to mine I need to look elsewhere for this cold engine no idle issue.

Thanks for the visual clarity!!
============
BrownLoaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: AAR full open or not? Reply with quote

frankbonatelli wrote:
loganthecyclist wrote:
Looks pretty similar to mine after a full chill in the freezer.

That's exactly what I needed to see! If yours has been running fine and it looks identical to mine I need to look elsewhere for this cold engine no idle issue.

Thanks for the visual clarity!!

Happy to hear it helped!

Since you are having a temperature-dependent issue, the first thing I would check is the Temp II sensor and wiring. Since you have read the Digifant (I believe you meant Digijet, since Digifant does not have an AAR), you may already know to check the Temp II (coolant temperature) sensor. What you want to do is check the resistance between the terminals at the ECU multi-pin connector.

Do you have the Bentley repair manual? It will tell you how to do this as well as other fuel injection troubleshooting, much of which can be done conveniently using the ECU multi-pin connector.

Corroded electrical grounds on the LH side of the engine and sheet metal can cause all sorts of fuel injection related issues.

Sorry if this is all things you already know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frankbonatelli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: AAR full open or not? Reply with quote

Quote:
Happy to hear it helped!

Since you are having a temperature-dependent issue, the first thing I would check is the Temp II sensor and wiring. Since you have read the Digifant (I believe you meant Digijet, since Digifant does not have an AAR), you may already know to check the Temp II (coolant temperature) sensor. What you want to do is check the resistance between the terminals at the ECU multi-pin connector.

Do you have the Bentley repair manual? It will tell you how to do this as well as other fuel injection troubleshooting, much of which can be done conveniently using the ECU multi-pin connector.

Corroded electrical grounds on the LH side of the engine and sheet metal can cause all sorts of fuel injection related issues.

Sorry if this is all things you already know.

All knowledge shared is appreciated, As I am at a loss for what next I am happy to test every and any ideas.
Currently in a two steps back stage of things, you know" one step forward two steps back" after i tested the volts as per the difijet bible ,11.59v was my results, the van has decided to not fire up at all. Where five mins before i could start the van with out even applying gas pedal pressure and walk to rear of van before its stumbled to a stall, it now will not start at all. Two steps back.

So thanks to all for their ideas.
At this point even wild hail Mary styled ideas will be accepted.[/quote]
============
frankbonatelli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: AAR full open or not? Reply with quote

And one more question.
ae I've been at this for so long now I am concerned that maybe I have my power steering boost valve hoses on backwards.

The blue lines indicate current setup. Is it backwards[/img]
============
frankbonatelli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: AAR full open or not? Reply with quote

So where am i
Ive run the full scope of tests in the Digijet & Digifant (I have the single throttle body switch) and every sensor test to preform in the "starts but wont idle cold " chapter. Straight forward tests are easy to follow. And here I sit still with this.
This is cold started and it is tuned well i don't even bother to sit in the seat just turn the key she lights right up! Walk to the rear and in a minuet she starts to lope. I'm at a lose so unless any one has ideas I'm just going to start replacing sensors regardless of the Digijet /Digifant results.

Link

Enjoy the show!
============
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: AAR full open or not? Reply with quote

The Digijet in flawed in its setup in that it cuts the fuel off when the revs barely get above base idle, like around 1100 rpm. It will then cut the fuel back on again once the revs drop. To add to this once the throttle body gets worn and the retard can on the distributor go bad it can be impossible to adjust your idle low enough so this will not happen. Throw in a few vacuum leaks and the problem is that much worse.

What you are seeing if very common and the easiest solution is to just adjust the throttle switch so that it is always open when the engine is near idle. You do not want to unplug the switch entirely as you will lose fuel enrichment at full throttle.

Someone has probably figured out how to adjust the rpm that the fuel cuts off at, this might be as simple are turning a pot in the ECU, I don't know. VW-Bosch went overboard in the other direction when they designed the Digifant system.
frankbonatelli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: AAR full open or not? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

What you are seeing if very common and the easiest solution is to just adjust the throttle switch so that it is always open when the engine is near idle. You do not want to unplug the switch entirely as you will lose fuel enrichment at full throttle.

That is an interesting approach and seeing as I am at a lose I may as well try it. The oddness for me is the smooth running when it gets warmed up. takes about 10 mins or less and then the van runs smooth a silk.

Thanks for the imagineering idea.
============
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: