Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andre b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:
62DoKaGuy wrote:
That tailgate before picture tells the tale (see what I did there) of how I feel when people draft behind me in my double cab...

The effort you're putting into uncovering the layers is admirable - you are patient!

Thanks. I decided the logos on the gates will be eliminated, it will be too hard to keep them as they are not on the original paint. They are on the 4th repaint color. They will be saved in photos on this site.

Before
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Afternice,,looks like the wheel wels are later style with the lip!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Quote:
After nice,,looks like the wheel wells are later style with the lip!

Yes, the wheel wells are wrong. They were cut out at sometime and replaced later in life, but with the wrong 63-67 later style. They will be cut out again and replaced with the correct no lip sections. I need to get some paint mixed up so I can blend in that area. The tail light were also cut to the later 62-67 style and will also have replacement metal welded in place.
andre b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:
Quote:
After nice,,looks like the wheel wells are later style with the lip!

Yes, the wheel wells are wrong. They were cut out at sometime and replaced later in life, but with the wrong 63-67 later style. They will be cut out again and replaced with the correct no lip sections. I need to get some paint mixed up so I can blend in that area. The tail light were also cut to the later 62-67 style and will also have replacement metal welded in place.
right on..good luck..cool truck for sure!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cuñado Wear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Applause Popcorn

Looking for front kick panels for late 63' Deluxe Basalt Gray
60' Double Cab
63' 15 Window Deluxe
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Very impressed. This bus went to the right person
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

For those of you following along here are a few more progress photos. The rear gate turned out pretty good

Before

After

The front nose section is not completely stripped yet, but it is not looking good. That section has a lot of bondo and was sanded down to bare metal before the bondo was applied. I started on the passenger side lower rear quarter and that area was also sanded down to bare metal and skimmed with bondo. Sad

Nose about midway (crazy paint).

As it looks today.

The front nose top layer and roof had crazy pink flames, here are a couple before shots.

I am not sure what to do at this time. I was hoping that more original paint remained under all the layers.
VWDC62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

I love this thread. Can someone decode the Mcode plate for me? So what would this truck have been used for originally? Post, utilities? I've seen a single cab yellow but not a double.
1962 Double Cab✅
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

VWDC62 wrote:
I love this thread. Can someone decode the Mcode plate for me? So what would this truck have been used for originally? Post, utilities? I've seen a single cab yellow but not a double.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the interest. I really have no way to tell what it was originally used for. The truck was special ordered by someone, it could have been a business or an individual. The m code plate says it was originally delivered to Portland, OR. It wound up in Las Vegas, NV and has been here for at least 20 years based on my research. It does not mean it was necessary used by the Post Office because it was Postal yellow. That was just a special order color and was not listed on the brochures at the time as a standard color. There are other examples of Postal Yellow on non-commercial buses. One is a 23 window bus that was special ordered in this color. It is pretty rare, but not unheard of. Most of the Postal yellow buses are single cabs and panels. I do know of one other double cab bus in Northern CA that is postal yellow, but that is all I have found so far.

Here is the decipher from the M code website.

Model Type 2 (T1) mod. 265 :
- Double-cabin pick-up
- Passenger door right
- LHD
Chassis number 518204
Serial number 26518204
Modelyear 1960
Planned production date October 02 ,1959
Paint color ??? - Postal Yellow
Interior color (doorpanels and seats) *** Unknown ***
Destination USA, Portland

017 Rear brake and taillights combined -
176 Overriders all models Pick-up and Double Cab

181 Chrome hubcaps -
207 Tarp and bows Double Cab

361 Collection of M-Codes: M 168/181/192/199 -
168 88 ampere/hour battery (6V) -
181 Chrome hubcaps -
192 Body ready to be outfitted as a camper -
199 Seat belt mounting points -
199 Swivel driver's seat Panel Van, Camper, Kombi. Also used on Flipseat Westfalia campers

544 "Kundendienstwerkstatt", (i.e. "service room", special place for conversions made by Volkswagen itself). -
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

I had some free time this weekend so I went back at it stripping the paint off. I was able to finish the back of the cab area and the driver side gate.

Before

During

After

western auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

with the amount of og paint gone I think id just throw in the towel and restore it
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

western auto wrote:
with the amount of og paint gone I think id just throw in the towel and restore it

Eventually it will get restored, but for now I just want to finish stripping the paint down to original and get it together and driving. I kind of like the character of a well used truck like this one owned by Earl.

I have had a perfectly restored car and when it was done it was so nice I was hesitant to drive it.

Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:
I have had a perfectly restored car and when it was done it was so nice I was hesitant to drive it. ]

This ^. Trucks (especially) are so much more useful without perfect paint. That way you're not stressing every time you throw a bicycle back there. It's a different beast than a kombi. Plus I kind of feel it's not that bad. Have you looked into blending the really big spaces? Looking back... I sometimes wish I had gone this route.

Random bit of advice: go with the rivets (rather than the screws) for the wood slats.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

I'm on this boat. Save my dough for practical things, not pretty paint that's door dinged at a show, scratched by branches Christmas tree shopping, or scratched up loading up stone or rock.
It's a truck, use it. It's already awesome, practical in its own right, keep it alive not on life support (garage kept all but three days a year).

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:

This ^. Trucks (especially) are so much more useful without perfect paint. That way you're not stressing every time you throw a bicycle back there. It's a different beast than a kombi. Plus I kind of feel it's not that bad. Have you looked into blending the really big spaces? Looking back... I sometimes wish I had gone this route.

Random bit of advice: go with the rivets (rather than the screws) for the wood slats.

Thanks for the positive comment. I am going to try to have some paint mixed up and blend the really bad spots. We will see how it turns out as I have never done anything like that before.

I had a little more time this weekend and stripped the grey paint off the dash and parcel tray, it came out pretty good. The parcel tray has some rust and someone spilled something sticky on it. I need to bust out the heat gun and try to heat it and scrape it off.

**Does anyone have a postal yellow ashtray in their stash? My truck was missing the ashtray**

oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Great job on the paint stripping! I've stripped parts of a couple of buses but not an entire bus (yet).

An og paint Postal Yellow ash tray is probably hard to come by. Place a WTB ad in the classifieds here, you never know. Someone may have one in their stash.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Wow, that dash turned out awesome. That is the most important area to have look nice.

Nice work.
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

X2
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Extremely time consuming, Ron Jon, you're doing a phenomenal job. Looking good.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
Wow, that dash turned out awesome. That is the most important area to have look nice.

Nice work.

that's right, this is what YOU see when you drive. Get a nice set of interior panels, and clean up the fresh air box, done on the inside

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
western auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

dash looks awesome!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: