Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
campingbox wrote:
Wow, that dash turned out awesome. That is the most important area to have look nice.

Nice work.

that's right, this is what YOU see when you drive. Get a nice set of interior panels, and clean up the fresh air box, done on the inside

Thank you to everyone for the positive comments. I am very happy with how the dash turned out. The dash and parcel tray were the only two sections on the interior that had actual grey paint. The rest of the inside is painted with a black splatter paint/coating. It does not come off clean like the paint with my stripper. It softens with the stripper, but then it seems like it is tar based and you need to use rags to wipe off the covering. I have plans to strip all areas of the interior that will be seen, like the fresh air box, interior windshield surround, the stove pipe, the headlight buckets, bulkhead, rear wall, all parts of the doors that will be seen once the new door panels are on, front area under the seats, etc... It will be very time consuming, but I am patient. I think I will try acetone for this and a bunch of rags. I will continue to upload photos of the progress.
rennie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

You're likely already thinking this, but a good acetone-proof spray bottle will be helpful for any thin remaining 'tar' areas. I learned on my current project that acetone evaporates so quickly that spraying it and then wiping, vs. just wetting a rag and then wiping, has been most efficient.

Excellent work on the dash and tray!

Your bus will have so much character - it'll find people enjoying its present state and pondering it's past.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Great work so far. I was hoping you would snag the OG paint ambulance fans that popped up in the classifieds a few weeks ago but Corey snagged them. Nothing much ever pops up that is Postal Yellow so seeing those was crazy.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2052550
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
Great work so far. I was hoping you would snag the OG paint ambulance fans that popped up in the classifieds a few weeks ago but Corey snagged them. Nothing much ever pops up that is Postal Yellow so seeing those was crazy.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2052550

I saw those when Uzi posted them for sale for $700 a few weeks ago. If I had the cash I would have bought them then. It was too close to tax time for me to pull the trigger. I think the current asking price is way too high.
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

I have not posted any update in a while. I live in Las Vegas, NV and it has been miserable hot and I do not have an AC or swamp cooler in the garage. We had 25 days in a row of 105 degrees or more. So I have not really done much work. I did make it over to Prado and OCTO last month. I picked up a few items and met a couple guys I had only know from the forums here.

Two days ago we had a quick rain storm and it cooled things down a little so I went out to the garage. I was able to strip the paint off the original bullets. Small victories.

Cuñado Wear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:
I did make it over to Prado and OCTO last month. I picked up a few items and met a couple guys I had only know from the forums here.

Yes It was nice meeting you. keep up the good work.
In fact you have encourage me to get some things done on my dc.
Ill post about that soon on my thread.

Looking for front kick panels for late 63' Deluxe Basalt Gray
60' Double Cab
63' 15 Window Deluxe
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Today was a rare rainy day in Las Vegas so I did some work in the garage. I ordered new hardboard interior panels from Clara so I started to strip off the tar based black undercoating/trunk paint. I am trying to get down to yellow for all areas that will not be hidden by the seats or the interior panels. I made some good progress on the rear seat area. I also stripped out front door window frame down to yellow.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Making great strides, stripping paint is time consuming and mentally enduring, you’re doing a wonderful job, and it’s nice to see such vibrant coloring still present. This is going to be a good looking driver man, stay cool!

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rennie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

X2 ^^^^. We're all admiring your perseverance and fabulous results!!
Cuñado Wear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Popcorn keep up the good work.

Looking for front kick panels for late 63' Deluxe Basalt Gray
60' Double Cab
63' 15 Window Deluxe
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the positive comments.

This arrived in the mail over the weekend.

I am bummed it says Special color instead of Postal yellow.
I think The Samba website has more information than the VW factory when it comes to deciphering these things.
It also says the upholstery is dark beige, do you experts this is just a typo by the factory? The deluxe buses for that year had Carmel Brown seats, do you think it could have come with Carmel seats? I know the bus was special ordered in the Postal yellow color, do you think they could have special ordered it with Carmel seats as well? I think it probably just came with grey seats that came in all the commercials. Tell me what you think.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Yes, I think other Postal Yellow Commercial buses had the normal standard upholstery colors for their year - Black or Grey.

Other stuff:
SK6480
Do they mean SK648D?

M544 is not special color AFAIK

M361 - They didn't know that combination code? It's listed here on the site as:
Package including M168, M181, M192, M199
but that doesn't sound right for your Truck so maybe it's "Unknown" for your year.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

My M Code plate says SK 648D so I guess that is what they meant and they just typed it wrong or they could not see it clearly on the microfiche?

I was pretty sure they were also wrong on the upholstery. These certificates are not cheap, they should be correct. I guess I will email them and see if they can make some corrections.

I agree with you on code 361 it was probably a package of some sort, but the codes listed on this site do not make sense for mine. It is not a swivel seat.
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

I did the back part of the bulkhead today. It turned out pretty good. Someone took a sawzall to it at one time and started to cut out the bulkhead. Luckily they changed their mind and never finished removing it. When I bougt it the prior owner had tack welded it in and put in a couple brackets and screws. It will be fixed correctly.

zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Wow, I love this thread
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

I made some more progress. When you start out stripping the paint you have hopes that the paint down on the bottom is going to be pristine. Then reality sets in when you hit the first spot of bondo and then you hit a spot when someone took a grinder to grind it down to bare metal. The more work you do the less you expect from the finished product. The nose is the biggest disappointment for me at this stage as most of the nose was ground down to bare metal and a prior owner used bondo to straighten it out. The bondo does not seem thick, but it is still disappointing. The lower 8 inches of this truck has a lot of bondo as well as the nose and the rear quarter panels. I need to remove some of the bondo to see what is hiding underneath. Here are the photos from this week. I did expose quite a bit more yellow.

zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

I learned the hard way on my westy. I started on the roof, when I should have started on the rockers or nose.

You have been a busy man. Hats off to you.

I love the DC
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Yes, I think other Postal Yellow Commercial buses had the normal standard upholstery colors for their year - Black or Grey.

Other stuff:
SK6480
Do they mean SK648D?

but that doesn't sound right for your Truck so maybe it's "Unknown" for your year.

I sent an email to the VW museum about my Birth Certificate errors. A supervisor looked into it and pulled the original record. He was able to confirm the paint code and also confirm that it was originally postal yellow. He is going to correct the Birth Certificate to show Postal Yellow and will also correct the Upholstery color to Grey and mail me a new one. He told me he could not change the code M544 as all their records show that were buses ordered with a special color.

I also stripped some more of that nasty undercoating off the front bulkhead side and the wheel tubs to get down to the original yellow paint.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Hmmm, I guess that could be true of M544.

My old '60 DC had 544 but it was regular Sealing Wax Red.
It was SK 654E though so the M-code plate did have a Special Color marking.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Other stuff:
SK6480
Do they mean SK648D?

I sent an email to the VW museum about my Birth Certificate errors. A supervisor looked into it and pulled the original record. He was able to confirm the paint code and also confirm that it was originally postal yellow. He is going to correct the Birth Certificate to show Postal Yellow and will also correct the Upholstery color to Grey and mail me a new one. He told me he could not change the code M544 as all their records show that were buses ordered with a special color.

I also stripped some more of that nasty undercoating off the front bulkhead side and the wheel tubs to get down to the original yellow paint.

Nice on the confirmation, it's a shame they can't get it right the first time though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: