Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Yes, I think other Postal Yellow Commercial buses had the normal standard upholstery colors for their year - Black or Grey.

Other stuff:
SK6480
Do they mean SK648D?

M544 is not special color AFAIK

M361 - They didn't know that combination code? It's listed here on the site as:
Package including M168, M181, M192, M199
but that doesn't sound right for your Truck so maybe it's "Unknown" for your year.

I sent an email to the VW museum about my Birth Certificate errors. A supervisor looked into it and pulled the original record. He was able to confirm the paint code and also confirm that it was originally postal yellow. He is going to correct the Birth Certificate to show Postal Yellow and will also correct the Upholstery color to Grey and mail me a new one. He told me he could not change the code M544 as all their records show that were buses ordered with a special color.

I also stripped some more of that nasty undercoating off the front bulkhead side and the wheel tubs to get down to the original yellow paint.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had a similar issue with my certificate, once I received and reviewed it. A lot of unknowns, although no real inaccuracies. I emailed Frau Hendel and she even hand-wrote a letter apologizing for the blanks/unknowns, as the micro-fiche had been so severely damaged/deteriorated that no further information could be found. A real, sweet gesture from a lady who even remembered meeting me years earlier when I was in Wolfsburg...

Making great strides, Ron! For the lack of paint on the nose, there is certainly a great deal else where, so don't let that deter you! Cheers.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
rennie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Great progress, and... continued admirable determination! Nice, too, to be getting a corrected certificate. Well done all around. She's coming back to life!
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who posted the positive comments.

I did receive the corrected birth certificate in the mail yesterday from the VW museum, now it shows the correct paint color as Postal yellow and it has the correct seat color showing.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Awesome, glad they corrected the document, and surprisingly fast!

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

I'm pleased that they are now making much needed corrections, it appeared that they were getting a little lazy in their documentation and lengthy wait time...Am I wrong? from what I have been seeing on TheSamba.I at one time thought they were actually in Washington DC.

I'MO.
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
I'm pleased that they are now making much needed corrections, it appeared that they were getting a little lazy in their documentation and lengthy wait time...Am I wrong? from what I have been seeing on TheSamba.I at one time thought they were actually in Washington DC.

I'MO.
Thomas

They were fast to make the corrections after I pointed them out. I just sent them an email pointing out the errors and they replied back in 24 hours and said it would be researched by a supervisor. He emailed me back the next day and said it would be corrected and a new certificate would be mailed out.
I got the new certificate less than 2 weeks after I reported the errors to them.

They are still backed up when it comes to ordering and receiving the certificates. I think it took 4 1/2 months after I initially ordered and paid for the certificate before it showed up in my mail. That is better than it used to be. I think at one time the wait was almost 8 months.
GERMANAIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Very Nice!!! Doublecabs are Awesome! Specially being a Rare Postal Yellow.
Amazing work removing paint back OG Yellow. Keep Up The Great Work.
Congrats!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alexs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

My 59 samba has the 544 special color m-code. It has SK614E color code which is a kind of white grey.
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

alexs wrote:
My 59 samba has the 544 special color m-code. It has SK614E color code which is a kind of white grey.

Nice another special color. You should share the information with Everett Barnes about SK 614E, I do not see that color at all on his master list of paint codes on this site.

Did you get the VW birth certificate for yours? If you have it what color does the certificate say it is?
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Coming along great Ron.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
Coming along great Ron.

Thanks Skim. I am loving the build thread on yours, it is amazing how far yours has come in just a few months.
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

I have not updated this thread in a while. I finally decided I do not have the space (or time) to do much work on my truck in my single car garage. So I had the truck moved to my buddies Telly's shop. He is going to get it back on the road for me. We have a new motor and trans and some new suspension bits coming in shortly. I am hoping to be driving this sucker in a few months. We just got the seats back from the upholstery shop and I used the Matt Miller covers and those look great. Here are a few photos of the truck on the flatbed tow truck heading out to the shop. I am hoping to have the truck up and running, driving and stopping so I can take it to shows this summer. I have unveiled most of the original paint that is left, the rear quarters and rear end all were sanded down to bare metal at some point, so no yellow is left down there. The rear wheel openings are wrong and will be fixed soon along with the tail light openings.

[/img]
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Nothing better than being able to drive it to stay motivated. Keep at it!
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

can't wait to see more
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Ok. I mentioned before that I dropped my truck off at a buddies shop. The shop is Jet performance, Telly is the owner. He started of metal repairs this week. I just asked him to fix what I consider essential items in the truck before we start to do any electrical or mechanical work.

I asked him to fix the wrong tail light holes and wrong rear wheel wells. The list of metal repairs also includes fixing the third door jamb striker area (which was cut out), removing the 6x9 speakers in the rear seat pedestal and filling in that area with metal, replacing the battery tray, welding up the holes in the front seat area where wrong seats were bolted in, fix the spot on the bulkhead where someone used a sawsall to make a 16 inch cut on one side and weld in the tabs for front safari windows. Here is his progress today and some carnage shots of the wheel wells.

crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Good to see you moving foward !! Nice to have an option like your Bud Telly's place to keep the Doublecab moving along.
Keep the pics coming !! Cool

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
rennie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Loving the progress and your decisions for this puppy. Great work... keep on keeping on and you'll find yourself at an upcoming summer show in your postal yellow beauty!
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who is following along and for the positive comments. I stopped by Telly's shop today and dropped off paint. I had a local paint shop color match paint to one of the original bullet turn signal covers in a single stage yellow. I dropped the paint off and took a few photos of the progress. He has now welded up the hack on the bulkhead and welded in a new front seat mount tab and welded in the holes on the front wheel tubs where the wrong front seats were bolted in. He also cut open the passenger side rear wheel quarter panel more to get rid off all the hacked metal. He also mounted tires on the original Fuch wheels I had been saving for this project, they are originals, but kind of ratty looking like this truck. He also installed the new safaris. Those look too mice to me so we will need to scuff them up some.

Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

On alloys hell yes. Oh, Tell Ol' Telly that Skim in Texas said hello. Keep the pics comin.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Nice progress! Looks great!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: