Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

decals suck! lol

What stripper are you using? Looks like it's doing a great job.
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

GLHTurbo wrote:
decals suck! lol

I am using citrus strip from Home Depot. It works ok and is not as harsh as Easy Off. It does not have the nasty fumes. You do need to put it on thick and let it soak in for about 20 minutes before you use a scraper or razor blade. I have to do each section twice as i have multiple layers of paint and primer.
Cuñado Wear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

keep the pictures coming. great job! Can't wait to see this in person one day.
Applause

Looking for front kick panels for late 63' Deluxe Basalt Gray
60' Double Cab
63' 15 Window Deluxe
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:
GLHTurbo wrote:
decals suck! lol

I am using citrus strip from Home Depot. It works ok and is not as harsh as Easy Off. It does not have the nasty fumes. You do need to put it on thick and let it soak in for about 20 minutes before you use a scraper or razor blade. I have to do each section twice as i have multiple layers of paint and primer.

I really like that stuff. Haven't used it on auto paint, but stripped MANY layers of latex paint off of heater air registers pretty easily with it, without worrying at all about fumes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Z wrote:
ronjonlasvegas wrote:
GLHTurbo wrote:
decals suck! lol

I really like that stuff. Haven't used it on auto paint, but stripped MANY layers of latex paint off of heater air registers pretty easily with it, without worrying at all about fumes.

Good to know, I'll give it a try. I'd rather have to do it twice, than go too far once.
Wolfsburg Classics
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Super cool find, liking the Postal Yellow as a fresh change on a D, and a seamed gate at that..uber cool.

Lovin' the 544 M code.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Back in the 70's I had DC with Olive drab, military green, unfortunately I sold it Rolling Eyes
Didn't mean to hijack just wanted to share.
Lucky you, great score
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Monster paint/logo/model combination. I remember someone here protected their logos with tape while pulling the paint down to the OG color
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Monster paint/logo/model combination. I remember someone here protected their logos with tape while pulling the paint down to the OG color

Maybe I will give this a try.

Thanks to everyone else for the nice comments. I will just gradually keep working on stripping it down and post more updates as I make progress.
andre b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

cool bus..what do the logos read?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The only logo I have uncovered so far reads SIGNS. The one on the rear gate says something else, but I need to strip some of the grey off to read it. I think this truck was owned by a sign painter as in addition to the SIGNS, it also had "Decals Suck" painted just behind the third door. It has another spot on the top of the passenger gate where it says Orange A Boom, I am not sure what that means. Maybe that was the owners nickname? It has been in Las Vegas, NV a really long time so maybe that was a sign painter here 30 years ago? I will try to ask around and see if anyone remembers it.
andre b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:

The only logo I have uncovered so far reads SIGNS. The one on the rear gate says something else, but I need to strip some of the grey off to read it. I think this truck was owned by a sign painter as in addition to the SIGNS, it also had "Decals Suck" painted just behind the third door. It has another spot on the top of the passenger gate where it says Orange A Boom, I am not sure what that means. Maybe that was the owners nickname? It has been in Las Vegas, NV a really long time so maybe that was a sign painter here 30 years ago? I will try to ask around and see if anyone remembers it.
thats awsome,,
so the logos where on the grey looks like?
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Yes,

The logos came later in the life of this truck. It was originally postal yellow and had a repaint in another darker shade of yellow, then it was painted red and then finally grey. It is a real grey, not a primer. It looks like the sign writing was over the grey. It was probably sold by the painter and someone else painted another coat of grey over the sign writing before I got it. Between each layer of paint was a layer of primer.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

I must admit, I'm not a huge fan of the yellow, but for the Double Cab, I think it will look nice. It's good to be different, and also to know that people knew of more than Dove Blue with Volkswagen in regards to buses and trucks.
Thanks for the tip on the Citrus Strip, I'll give it a try.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

I buy Citri-strip at Walmart by the gallon. It is usually cheaper than Home Depot.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip on the stripper.

Signs, signs everywhere are signs.

ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Rear Gate before I stripped the first layer of paint off.

Rear Gate after I stripped the first layer of paint off. You can see the yellow dots of original paint under where the rubber gate bumpers were. Yes someone cuts out holes for the tail lights. Evil or Very Mad

62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

That tailgate before picture tells the tale (see what I did there) of how I feel when people draft behind me in my double cab...

The effort you're putting into uncovering the layers is admirable - you are patient!

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:
That tailgate before picture tells the tale (see what I did there) of how I feel when people draft behind me in my double cab...

The effort you're putting into uncovering the layers is admirable - you are patient!

Thanks. I decided the logos on the gates will be eliminated, it will be too hard to keep them as they are not on the original paint. They are on the 4th repaint color. They will be saved in photos on this site.

Before

After

zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Postal Yellow Double cab find Reply with quote

Wow, hard work pays off
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: