Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"How To Start" Label
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk1015
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: "How To Start" Label Reply with quote

Not sure where to put this question. I searched through the gallery and couldn't find a clear
pic of the "HOW TO START" label that used to be on the steering wheels
of (to my knowledge) 73-79 Beetles and maybe other models.

Anyone have a clear photo, or reproduce them anywhere.
Just the little things that make it look original I guess. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/965464.jpg
a.wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "How To Start" Label Reply with quote

Here is one photo I happened to save from an old online-ad image search. But it may not be the best.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Another one found in web search;
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here are two older topics. With another one mnussbau posted.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...e+turn+key
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...e+turn+key

They usually were placed on the corner steering wheel plastic horn pad.. Although I have seen many that were placed on the front face of the Glove Box lid on Standard bugs. Mostly near the top right corner.

I don't have measurements or dimensions -- but the sticker is clear background with white lettering.

Out of curiousity, years ago I asked a fellow about those stickers once, and he told me they were only used in '74's because of the seat belt interlock system.

Unfortunately right now I'm not aware anyone reprinting those.

oemwolf
Sahara74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: "How To Start" Label Reply with quote

My wife has this sticker on her '74 Super. Curiously, it's dead center on the steering wheel, covering the Wolfsburg crest. Dimensions are approximately 1 5/8" x 7/8". Her car is a survivor so I'm sure it's been there since day one. Good Luck !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: "How To Start" Label Reply with quote

I bought me 74 new and it didn't have that sticker.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: "How To Start" Label Reply with quote

I can understand the "buckle up" and the "turn key", but, honestly, did they really feel it was necessary to include "sit down"??

Oh, OK, I read the other thread. There was a sensor under the seat to make sure you didn't reach in through the window to start the car if it was in gear. I REALLY don't miss the 70's.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
a.wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: "How To Start" Label Reply with quote

Sahara74 wrote:
My wife has this sticker on her '74 Super. Curiously, it's dead center on the steering wheel, covering the Wolfsburg crest. Dimensions are approximately 1 5/8" x 7/8". Her car is a survivor so I'm sure it's been there since day one. Good Luck !

Cool. Thanks for the measurements. Now that is an odd place for one..

My first 74 beetle had a partial remnant of this sticker wrapped around the emergency brake handle.
I figured someone probably had removed it from one spot and stuck it there. (but I don't know).

Glenn wrote:
I bought my 74 new

Lucky!!! Mad Razz
Glenn wrote:
and it didn't have that sticker.

Wondering if these could have been one of those little detailed items that were meant to be put on at the dealership, and some were forgotten to be put on? Maybe some got one, others did not? Who knows..

79SuperVert wrote:
There was a sensor under the seat to make sure you didn't reach in through the window to start the car if it was in gear.

Ah, got it. I missed reading that part. Thanks.

oemwolf
kirk1015
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: "How To Start" Label Reply with quote

Reviving an old post. I found someone who is willing to make
a copy of the decal, but he needs a clear photo and dimensions.

Could anyone who still has one post a clear picture of it and get the
dimensions for me?
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: "How To Start" Label Reply with quote

These stickers were only used during that part of the 1974 model year, when the seat belt/ignition switch interlock was mandated.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: