Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FYI: New Vanagon power window switches with bezels
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: FYI: New Vanagon power window switches with bezels Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Came across these while searching for some bezels for my Vanagon. Complete assembly for both right and left side with bezels and switches $4 passenger side and $8 drivers side.

Most vendors are selling the switches for $10/$11 each, which needs soldering the OEM Vanagon plug connector onto the switch. Then you need to order the bezels too..another $8 and $9...total about $47 plus shipping.

These came from Hans Auto Parts; part numbers 191919550 and 191919550A ..$18 total with shipping. The bezels work just fine.

http://www.hansautoparts.com/

Last edited by AtlasShrugged on Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon power window switches with bezels new FYI Reply with quote

I could use the driver side dual part, but I don't see it. Perhaps you got the last one.
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon power window switches with bezels new FYI Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
I could use the driver side dual part, but I don't see it. Perhaps you got the last one.

It is there..wrong picture..right part.

http://www.hansautoparts.com/191919550A-Power-Window-Switch.aspx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon power window switches with bezels new FYI Reply with quote

Thanks, ordered!
vers13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon power window switches with bezels new FYI Reply with quote

Do these light up like the stock units?
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon power window switches with bezels new FYI Reply with quote

vers13 wrote:
Do these light up like the stock units?

I will check
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon power window switches with bezels new FYI Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip!
Ordered a set. The previous owner converted our Carat back to manual windows and I want to reconvert back to original.

The switches on the Carat went missing when the manual crank handles were installed.
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: FYI: New Vanagon power window switches with bezels Reply with quote

Please let us know how these work out.
A few years ago an engineer acquaintance bought some from Hans to evaluate and was rather disappointed and reported:

They don't fit tightly in the bezel, the contacts wear out very quickly, and, the clips that hold it in the bezel fall off, and the double round connector is too small and doesn't fit into the motor connector easily. And to make matters worse, the illumination is amber, not green.

The switches for sale at Van Cafe are NOT the cheap kind.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: FYI: New Vanagon power window switches with bezels Reply with quote

I agree the switches are looser in the bezels..however the bezels are more robust than the usual we get. The tabs are thicker..and as a price point they cost less than ordering the bezels alone anyways.

The switches supplied that I have gotten for my Vanagon are in a URO bag..which by reputation URO is not a first choice anyways. And you must rewire/solder them too. They have six connectors rather than five and unless you bridge the 6th connector for 12v..they don't illuminate at all.

All in all..it is only $12 for right and left side for everything.
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: FYI: New Vanagon power window switches with bezels Reply with quote

Loose switches in the bezel are easy to fix with some electrical tape. I'm more interested in how the bezel itself sits in the door. The two tabs on the bottom of my original bezel have both broken off and does not allow the bezel to fit snug in the door.
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: FYI: New Vanagon power window switches with bezels Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
Loose switches in the bezel are easy to fix with some electrical tape. I'm more interested in how the bezel itself sits in the door. The two tabs on the bottom of my original bezel have both broken off and does not allow the bezel to fit snug in the door.

The switches are not that loose...only slightly..you would never really notice once installed unless you were an engineer.

The bottom tabs are thicker than the last replacement bezels I bought
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: FYI: New Vanagon power window switches with bezels Reply with quote

Just received the new switches from Hans Auto. The connectors are NOT the same as original. New connector on the right, original on the left. Not really an issue for me though as all I really wanted were the bezels.

AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: FYI: New Vanagon power window switches with bezels Reply with quote

Interesing....however..pins 3 and 5 are both 12v. On Vanagon VW switches they are bridged together with one wire. You got two red 12v wires..one to pin 3 and one to pin 5. (like an older VW Quantum)

Remove the Hans plastic connector and install your OEM two pin connector..one red 12v and one brown ground in the exact correct original locations.

Then just using an electrical snap connector.. cut the now unused red wire with some length and bridge the two red wires together so both pins 3 and 5 have 12v.

Last edited by AtlasShrugged on Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: FYI: New Vanagon power window switches with bezels Reply with quote

The pic in your very first post shows a three spade plug.
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: FYI: New Vanagon power window switches with bezels Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
The pic in your very first post shows a three spade plug.

Sorry..three pin plug..not two pin
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: FYI: New Vanagon power window switches with bezels Reply with quote

Viola!! Pretty rippin' deal for new switches and bezels. Nice little electrical exercise to boot. The wonders never cease!!

Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: FYI: New Vanagon power window switches with bezels Reply with quote

Finally got fed up with the clunky, bulky window switches and bezels that never stay in the door panel because the retaining clips snap off. Done. Over. Learned my lesson. Relocating newer, modern switches to dash and buying ABS panels. Learned from my mistakes and hardheadedness. I am now at peace. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: