Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Possible 20th reunion of Return to the Fatherland Tour
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Possible 20th reunion of Return to the Fatherland Tour Reply with quote

Talked to Mike Malamut and we are thinking of having a reunion at his museum next year. Probably people only as many of the cars have been sold. Would appreciate any feedback about Bill Collins. Also have no email addresses of the participants. Please feel free to answer in this forum or PM me. Dick Christensen
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible 20th reunion of Return to the Fatherland Tour Reply with quote

Whould be fun to meet you all in Bad Camberg Wink With our without your cars. Just like in 1999, 50 years Hebmueller, now 70 years.
Greetings. Peter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible 20th reunion of Return to the Fatherland Tour Reply with quote

I discussed this idea last year with some pretty hardcore vintage VW owners and DRIVERS. We talked about doing the RTFT, starting in CA, driving across the US, then shipping our cars to Europe/England, and driving to BC. I'd be in, but it will take a good bit of planning and $$$...

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mkbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Possible 20th reunion of Return to the Fatherland Tour Reply with quote

Count me in...

Martin
European Leg Return to the Fatherland Support Vehicle with Erich

My Build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667183
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Possible 20th reunion of Return to the Fatherland Tour Reply with quote

Great you are in Martin. Fondly recall you and Erich having our back on the autobahns.

I will be 79 next June and feel too old to make such a journey. John go ahead and plan it and hope you get a good response. Still plan to meet at Mike's museum next year. Maybe you could start from there?

Would be fun for everyone. Dick
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Possible 20th reunion of Return to the Fatherland Tour Reply with quote

Hi Dr. Dick, Mike M., and Martin K.!

I still own "Martha", my 1955 original paint Deluxe Sunroof Beetle that participated in the original Return To The Fatherland Tour back in 1999. At the minimum I'd be interested in attending a reunion of those 1999 RTTFT participants. Who knows, "Martha" might be interested in an encore in 2019 if the right type of tour were conceived and planned... who knows? My co-driver back then (who was invited but couldn't get his '56 Denzel completed in time back in 1999) might be interested too and perhaps he might bring along his incredibly restored Denzel?

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible 20th reunion of Return to the Fatherland Tour Reply with quote

This is interesting to me as well. I've wanted to do something like this with our 1949
57roadster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Possible 20th reunion of Return to the Fatherland Tour Reply with quote

I am getting the ex-Bowman, ex-Slater black '55 Oval Speed Car ready...thinking hard about shipping the car over. 125hp Denzel powerplant. Notice the Denzel emblem being prepared for the top of the front hood. Someone needs to be going fast with Martin in his '57 black Oval, 1602cc Speed Car that just made 66hp on the dyno at the rear wheels! I remember in '99 we only went as fast as the slowest car (except Larry Mck!).

Planning this event is already behind the 8-ball if one starts the planning process right now.

I'll speak to BBT Bob when he's here at our house about guidance on shipping from L.A. or Richmond.

The fewer cars would be better, but 3 each per container. 6 to 9 cars max, but 6 would be easier to manage.

Sponsorship is key. It was expensive in '99, and will be more expensive today!

And, one of the cars and drivers needs to be Shin Watanabe to document the entire trip and share in an experience of a lifetime! (He has a "go-fast" 36hp (80+ hp) Beetle. He can ride up front with me and Martin!)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Gaudet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible 20th reunion of Return to the Fatherland Tour Reply with quote

If this reunion happens I might just attend with my newly acquired VW. I managed to buy the 1950 standard that Steve Hammond drove on the original 1999 tour. I just picked it up last month. It's still in the same condition as when I last saw it back in 2010. Can't wait to put some miles on this car. But will have to wait until the spring. There is this cold white stuff on the ground here in eastern Canada. Wish I was somewhere warm....lol

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible 20th reunion of Return to the Fatherland Tour Reply with quote

Congratulations on acquiring Steve's beautiful standard split Beetle. Tom and I were often either behind him or in front of him during the 1999 Fatherland Tour and he's a great guy. As I remember, Steve helped to make hotel arrangements on the USA leg of the adventure. If you chat with him again soon, please send him our regards for a nice holiday. That's a beautiful car, and you'll have a lot of fun with it! Tom and I drove in my 55 Deluxe sunroof beetle during "the Tour".

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
drpete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible 20th reunion of Return to the Fatherland Tour Reply with quote

I'd be interested in finding out more about this trek. Probably out of my scope due to time commitments. Is there a thread discussing the last "Return..." trek? Pictures?

Pete Keesling
Driving a VW every day.....
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Possible 20th reunion of Return to the Fatherland Tour Reply with quote

I am reviving this post in hopes to have something put together for HO22. With an extra year to plan, it might be something we could organize. A trip across North America and then ship to Europe and enjoy our VWs there for a while. I am sure we will all be raring to go in our "post pandemic" I want to travel and have fun lives.

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Possible 20th reunion of Return to the Fatherland Tour Reply with quote

You'd want to start plans for that adventure now. I seem to remember that Bill Collin's serious planning started about 14 to 12 months from departure across the USA in May of 1999. Tom N. and I were approached about going in June of 1998. With few exceptions Bill invited teams of two people per car to co-drive and share the total expenses of their car on the trip. My personal opinion is to support Bill's original concept of all VWs being 1957 or earlier stock or era-correct performance engined VWs. That also fit into the general rules of attendance to either the B.C or H-O Vintage weekends. Kinda made everything a little more "special" and vintage. We might have to make an exception for Shin "if" he covers the entire adventure for Hot VWs in his Beetle? The original Tour routing was awesome and could simply be recreated. I doubt I'd change the route much if at all!

IMHO, no more than nine cars total. Search for a few sponsorships to help lower shipping expenses, look into trans-Atlantic round-trip container shipping as a group purchase through a reputable broker (two or three 53' containers with three Beetle sized cars in each container), allow at least a four week window for the shipping across the Atlantic (we only allowed three weeks) and narrowing down a select list of VW super-enthusiasts who can come up with the means to afford this kind of adventure within a years time, and who will actually follow thru with their commitment to go. A no-brainer would be to require a non-refundable one or two thousand dollar deposit from selected prospects which usually shakes out the big talkers and leaves you with a willing and determined group you can rely on to follow through with plans. Insist that every participant puts at least 500-1,000 miles on their invited old VW well in advance to shake out any mechanical issues. Lots of other things too, but that'll get things going...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible 20th reunion of Return to the Fatherland Tour Reply with quote

Thank you for your thoughts Bill. I agree that keeping things the same and simple is the best way to go. I would be willing to head up the organizing of the event but would need some people to step up now and see if we can get a dozen cars/owners lined up. If anyone is serious, please message me.

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible 20th reunion of Return to the Fatherland Tour Reply with quote

Love to see you all in Europe again.

Which event are you looking towards, Bad Camberg as the previous trip in 2024 or Hessisch Oldendorf in 2022?

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible 20th reunion of Return to the Fatherland Tour Reply with quote

Very well said Bill. And virus withstanding, there has still been talk about this maybe in 2022 from VW friends in my circle. "Accepting" participants might be dicey, but true "drivers" would be a requirement. Also, maybe the "across the USA leg" might be skipped, in lieu of a "just get your VW here (east coast shipping port) by this day, and we'll all meet and spend and overnight or two watching our cars leave....

I think the "put up or shut up" deposit might go a long way too.....

BulliBill wrote:
You'd want to start plans for that adventure now. I seem to remember that Bill Collin's serious planning started about 14 to 12 months from departure across the USA in May of 1999. Tom N. and I were approached about going in June of 1998. With few exceptions Bill invited teams of two people per car to co-drive and share the total expenses of their car on the trip. My personal opinion is to support Bill's original concept of all VWs being 1957 or earlier stock or era-correct performance engined VWs. That also fit into the general rules of attendance to either the B.C or H-O Vintage weekends. Kinda made everything a little more "special" and vintage. We might have to make an exception for Shin "if" he covers the entire adventure for Hot VWs in his Beetle? The original Tour routing was awesome and could simply be recreated. I doubt I'd change the route much if at all!

IMHO, no more than nine cars total. Search for a few sponsorships to help lower shipping expenses, look into trans-Atlantic round-trip container shipping as a group purchase through a reputable broker (two or three 53' containers with three Beetle sized cars in each container), allow at least a four week window for the shipping across the Atlantic (we only allowed three weeks) and narrowing down a select list of VW super-enthusiasts who can come up with the means to afford this kind of adventure within a years time, and who will actually follow thru with their commitment to go. A no-brainer would be to require a non-refundable one or two thousand dollar deposit from selected prospects which usually shakes out the big talkers and leaves you with a willing and determined group you can rely on to follow through with plans. Insist that every participant puts at least 500-1,000 miles on their invited old VW well in advance to shake out any mechanical issues. Lots of other things too, but that'll get things going...

Bill

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Possible 20th reunion of Return to the Fatherland Tour Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
Very well said Bill. And virus withstanding, there has still been talk about this maybe in 2022 from VW friends in my circle. "Accepting" participants might be dicey, but true "drivers" would be a requirement. Also, maybe the "across the USA leg" might be skipped, in lieu of a "just get your VW here (east coast shipping port) by this day, and we'll all meet and spend and overnight or two watching our cars leave....

I think the "put up or shut up" deposit might go a long way too.....
It's not like any of the potential participants only have one car. Simply drive one car across the USA, fly over the ocean and pick up another car that has been shipped ahead of time.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Zwitter UK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Possible 20th reunion of Return to the Fatherland Tour Reply with quote

Same pub again?

What a once-in-a-lifetime evening that was. I was lucky enough to be there thanks to Robin Allen. Did anyone video it?

Unfortunately Major Hirst won't be joining us - bless him. He never did light that pipe did he?

Last edited by Zwitter UK on Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:59 am; edited 2 times in total
mkbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Possible 20th reunion of Return to the Fatherland Tour Reply with quote

No video but wonderful memories.

My Build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667183
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible 20th reunion of Return to the Fatherland Tour Reply with quote

Probably the coolest night of the entire 1999 RTTFT'99!!! Was he a cool guy, or what!

What a fascinating discussion of his time at the Wolfsburg factory and with Volkswagen... I saw at least two guys videoing with camcorders... and Major Ivan Hirst was gone about four months later. R.I.P.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: