Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Loose crank pulley bolt cause damage????
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
driftman11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Loose crank pulley bolt cause damage???? Reply with quote

Ok so I received my engine back from the rebuilder and installed it. did a few test runs prob. running 2-3 minutes at a time, total of no more than 15 minutes of run time. afterwards I noticed the crank pulley bolt was only hand tight, I could literally take it off with my hand. Will this cause any issues with internals of motor or any issues at all I need to be concerned with? I'm wondering if I need to go back to my rebuilder on the issue or if I can torque it and move on with my life. ?????
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Loose crank pulley bolt cause damage???? Reply with quote

hey driftman11,

I'd think as long as it didn't sling the bolt and the pulley you should be fine.

Those crank pullys are pressed on/or heated and put on so they fit tight.
usually you need a crank pully tool to remove.

So you should be ok, if the nut was hand tight, it shouldn't have given it much room to move even if it did.

I'd tourqe it down and test it out.

Anyone else any suggestions for driftman11 here? Question

Hope all is well with it,

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
driftman11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose crank pulley bolt cause damage???? Reply with quote

Thank you for taking the time to reply. This is exactly what I was hoping and it wouldn't hurt my bearings or any internal seals or anything. I'm really not too familiar with how the engine goes together internally.

Again Thanks!
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Loose crank pulley bolt cause damage???? Reply with quote

driftman11 wrote:
Thank you for taking the time to reply. This is exactly what I was hoping and it wouldn't hurt my bearings or any internal seals or anything. I'm really not too familiar with how the engine goes together internally.

Again Thanks!

I would worry about what else he didn't do right. I would go have a talk with him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose crank pulley bolt cause damage???? Reply with quote

ldj1002 wrote:
driftman11 wrote:

Again Thanks!

I would worry about what else he didn't do right. I would go have a talk with him.

Willing to bet he left it loose so that it was easy to remove the pulley to put the engine tin in that goes behind the pulley and bolts to the case.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: