Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil leak and rubbing??
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nikolodeon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Oil leak and rubbing?? Reply with quote

How do I fix this oil leak? I think it's coming from two spots. Also, how bad will I be rubbing if I get 2.5" drop spindles on 165 tires?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Nikolodeon on Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak?? Reply with quote

You need to pressure wash all the oil/grease/dirt off first. Then, run it again and see where the oil leak is coming from.

There's a bunch of potential areas those leaks are coming from.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Butler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak and rubbing?? Reply with quote

I say RUN IT

yolo

Proud Member Pata De Perro Vw Club

iowegian wrote:
Instead of converting your car to a different color, why not just buy one that is a color you like?
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak and rubbing?? Reply with quote

I'm with Tom Butler, run it.

I've said it in the past, a little oily schmutz coating the bottom of the engine and trans I feel is a good thing. Where ever you have the steel hardware meeting the aluminum, the aluminum wants to corrode away especially when in the presence of road salt. Oil inhibits this. Before winter I always coat the bottom hardware with oil/grease. (and just about everything else)

I don't think there's any significant heat build up in the warm weather either because of the schmutz. Unless you have huge amounts or you're losing a lot of engine or trans oil, I wouldn't worry about it. If you were losing a lot of oil, would there be much schmutz?
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak and rubbing?? Reply with quote

goober wrote:
I'm with Tom Butler, run it.

I've said it in the past, a little oily schmutz coating the bottom of the engine and trans I feel is a good thing. Where ever you have the steel hardware meeting the aluminum, the aluminum wants to corrode away especially when in the presence of road salt. Oil inhibits this. Before winter I always coat the bottom hardware with oil/grease. (and just about everything else)

I don't think there's any significant heat build up in the warm weather either because of the schmutz. Unless you have huge amounts or you're losing a lot of engine or trans oil, I wouldn't worry about it. If you were losing a lot of oil, would there be much schmutz?

that's not a leak
it's just residual years of seepage

a leak would be wet and clean

your first time under a car?

and about the tire rub
you are fortunate to have an array of VW bug superstores and repair facilities in your area where you have proposed to have your car lowered professionally.
ASK THEM
save your money
$100hr on some old bug for what? because you can.
you have a nice old reliable car
you want to do something?
Learn how to adjust the brakes.
Soon enough the pedal will be hitting the floor leaving you to wonder should I just ram it, or try another pump.

you want spend money on the car
go buy a 1-3/4ton floor jack the kind like you see in the shops Harbor tool probably has one cheap enough
and four tall jack stands
maybe a creeper

You put the car way up on four jack stands you roll around on a creeper and adjust the brakes, A flashlite will help peer into the slots.

Adjust till completely locked up then back off only three "clicks" on every shoe.
pump the pedal and do it again
leave them dragging a lot and drive it they will be fine
adjust every time brake pedal goes too far down

oh that's right you are buying installed discs. Do all four wheels. Because the rears will still have drums that must be adjusted if you don't
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak and rubbing?? Reply with quote

goober wrote:
I've said it in the past, a little oily schmutz coating the bottom of the engine and trans I feel is a good thing.

Well, I learned a new word !!! So his schmutz is keeping the oil from leaking more !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak and rubbing?? Reply with quote

goober wrote:

The rest of us, who live on planet earth and have to deal with this thing called "summer" would do a kindness to our cars by keeping the crankcase fins clean and oil-free. The factory engineers didn't just stick a neckbeard on our cases because it looks cool, dammit.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: