Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RockAuto vs. VW online retailers
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69RVABUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: RockAuto vs. VW online retailers Reply with quote

Gary wrote:
There's already an existing discussion regarding Rock Auto vs CIP1.

Nice! Thanks! I did buy the RA, but now I'll go here and see what horrible atrocities I may have committed.

Edit: Apparently ZERO atrocities! Whew!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: RockAuto vs. VW online retailers Reply with quote

try your local auto parts and see what they have/ can get and thier price. some times they can some times that wont.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: RockAuto vs. VW online retailers Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
I kinda feel that Rock Auto is a giant clearing house for the auto parts industry. Not a bad thing honestly.

I kind of think you are right.

They are a huge version of a parts house I have been going to for 40 years in Oklahoma City.

Kerr Automotive is hands down the best VW and foreign parts house I have seen and I have shopped ...literally on the premises....specialty foreign parts houses in about 30 states over the years.

The place was amazing in high school and through college and is still largely the same. When you walk in the door...The room....the lobby...is literally stacked about chest high with skids of parts...50 feet in each direction and chest high. These are in the slow process of being recorded into inventory and put in storage.

The parts you will see range from NOS older parts from a wide range of foreign vehicles to brand new high end brand parts and skids of parts in stock Volkswagen /Audi group and Mercedes Benz and BMW boxes.

Finally after years of seeing this...and the parts piles move in but the state never changes....I asked where they get all of this.

They noted that the owners have a huge network of contacts and companies and are constantly buying out entire lots of parts both on continent and off...from dealers, manufacturer and even some private repair shops. I have found no end to what can be available there.

I think RockAuto uses the same model. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: RockAuto vs. VW online retailers Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
So when our VW parts houses go out of business, at least you'll still have Rock Auto………

Christ……
Robbie

What "local" parts houses are you referring to? Autozone? World Pac (bought by CARQUEST, which was then bought by Advance)? O'Riely's? Napa? PepBoys? Walker? ALL of the "local" stores have already been displaced by the national/international chains & the smaller ones of those are being absorbed by or buy from the other chains.

Even as a 25+ year customer of some of the larger chains, Rock Auto is beating my wholesale prices by 60-80%, if I've got to wait until the next day for parts anyway, I'm going to order the cheaper alternative.

How often do you shop your local clothing/grocery stores vs popping into a Walmart?
After the last takeover by Advance, I've seen the prices become more expensive through WorldPac, I can now order most of the parts cheaper directly from the dealer.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: RockAuto vs. VW online retailers Reply with quote

I used to buy Wagner Thermo Quiet brake pads for my other vehicles at local O'Reilly store, reasonable and lifetime warranty. Last year when I needed new brakes for 2005 Yukon, noticed O'Reilly prices for these were high, and RockAuto was very reasonable, went with Rock.

This year, for new brakes for my 1970, also wanted Wagner Thermo Quiet shoes, again Rock Auto was way less expensive.

This stuff is very weird though, and could be some computer issues. For example, a month ago when I needed a steering damper, O'Reilly was $103.99 http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/RAP0/5014...ppt=C0203; I think this has to be a mistale, Autozone lists a Gabriel one for $33.99 http://www.autozone.com/suspension-steering-tire-a...cle=false.

I bought a steering damper online for under $25 shipped (made in Brazil); Gabriel is $19.97 + shipping https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gab-14004?seid=...fgod9cQNZg
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: RockAuto vs. VW online retailers Reply with quote

I'm all about supporting local businesses. I use a small locally owned hair cut joint to cut my hair. The owners been cutting it for 10 years. My gal and I prefer to eat at locally owned restaurants as well vs. the chains.

I'd absolutely LLOVVEE to have a local parts house that I could support and get to know the staff there and build relationships with them. They are just not out there anymore. The local ones that are left are not price competitive. They have rude, indifferent employees. I tried to buy a cut-off solenoid for a carb at my local place. It was double the cost of what I could buy it anywhere. I told the guy that and he could care less. I went home and ordered it online.

Back in the 80's in S. California, I had a local VW shop that built my engines and sold me parts. I knew both owners well and would stop in to BS with them. Super friendly and their prices matched the magazine ads.

Those days are simply gone IMOP. People would have to be financially retarded with their money to "support" a local business or online VW vendors while paying double the price for the same part. We all know that restoring or refurbishing an old VW is not cheap. It all adds up quickly.

There's some VW specific parts vendors that have terrible ownership or leaders. This parts world is far too competitive to have clueless, socially inept employees answering the phone with their poor, indifferent attitudes. Customer service is still important, at least to me. If your pricing model isn't competitive with others on the internet, that's your problem that I'm not using your business for that reason either.

At the end of the day, it's not personal, it business. The good VW vendors who provide good service, competitive pricing and care about their customers will survive. The rest will vanish like so many have before them.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: RockAuto vs. VW online retailers Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I'd absolutely LLOVVEE to have a local parts house that I could support and get to know the staff there and build relationships with them. They are just not out there anymore. The local ones that are left are not price competitive. They have rude, indifferent employees. I tried to buy a cut-off solenoid for a carb at my local place. It was double the cost of what I could buy it anywhere. I told the guy that and he could care less. I went home and ordered it online.

Exactly. I started going to my local VW shops in the 1990s. I rarely go there anymore, unless I'm in a pinch and need something quick. Most of their parts are Brazilian via China these days. I needed a front, passenger side metal brake line for my bus about a year ago. The young kid at the local VW shop acted like I was in a Honda dealer parts dept asking for vintage VW parts. Told me to try Autozone. Yeah, a local VW shop referred me to Autozone for 1968 VW hard brake line. Luckily I live in Riverside, CA, one town over from Corona, CA where Wolfsburg West is located. I can pick up from their will-call counter or order online and pay the cheapest shipping and get it next day. Things I need that they don't carry, yes, I always check RockAuto. For my modern cars, RockAuto is usually the first place I look. Had a 2002 VW GTI that I had for 14 years, nearly 300,000 miles. RockAuto parts kept that thing going, way cheaper than if I bought them anywhere else. Lots of options on brands to choose from.

Looking for a VW club in Southern California? Check out Inland Valley Volkswagens: www.ivvw.org
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: RockAuto vs. VW online retailers Reply with quote

I'm lucky in that I live about 7 miles from the big Autozone warehouse. Now I'll be honest, I used to hate autozone. Maybe it was the lack of good stuff, or when they took over Chief auto parts, I was not happy (We had a 24/7 Chief auto parts next to a 7-11, it was awesome for late night pizza delivery parts)

anyways, I find that their duralast brand stuff is getting better and better. for instance, I needed a diverter valve for my turbo car (pop off valve, blow off valve, whatever) and it's a sunday. And I need the genuine VW/Audi Pierburg made part. Sure I could order it online at rock auto, I think it was $60 plus 35 to overnite. so that would have been tuesday. Or any of the VW tuner shops like ECS or AZAutoHaus same story,

Orielley had a "techsmart" brand Advanced had a Dorman brand. both had to be ordered. Napa had the Pierburg logo, $122 and 3 days for delivery.

AutoZone had it $86 in stock, open up the duralast box and it's a Pierburg in a Pierburg bag with the VW and Audi logos on it. Similarly, I've seen Bosch spark plug wires in the duralast box, OEM head gaskets, etc, you name it. I have been pleasantly surprised with autozone lately.

your mileage may vary

Link

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: RockAuto vs. VW online retailers Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
I'm lucky in that I live about 7 miles from the big Autozone warehouse. Now I'll be honest, I used to hate autozone. Maybe it was the lack of good stuff, or when they took over Chief auto parts, I was not happy (We had a 24/7 Chief auto parts next to a 7-11, it was awesome for late night pizza delivery parts)

anyways, I find that their duralast brand stuff is getting better and better. for instance, I needed a diverter valve for my turbo car (pop off valve, blow off valve, whatever) and it's a sunday. And I need the genuine VW/Audi Pierburg made part. Sure I could order it online at rock auto, I think it was $60 plus 35 to overnite. so that would have been tuesday. Or any of the VW tuner shops like ECS or AZAutoHaus same story,

Orielley had a "techsmart" brand Advanced had a Dorman brand. both had to be ordered. Napa had the Pierburg logo, $122 and 3 days for delivery.

AutoZone had it $86 in stock, open up the duralast box and it's a Pierburg in a Pierburg bag with the VW and Audi logos on it. Similarly, I've seen Bosch spark plug wires in the duralast box, OEM head gaskets, etc, you name it. I have been pleasantly surprised with autozone lately.

your mileage may vary

I agree. Simply put...I will go out of my way to buy from and spend excessive $ from a local....privately owned... specialty foreign parts/vw parts house.

There are flat out not any of those in my area. The few other auto parts stores that are privately owned...cater to whatever and have nothing but a few trinkets for our cars.

The rest are FLAPS chains.

I will agree that if you have the Autozone warehouse or NAPA warehouse close by...which we do....both are within 8 miles....those are a cut above the pack. They have a wider range...but still not the entire range of brands that are available at Rockauto.

The other good thing is that when I go to the Autozone or NAPA central warehouse ...I can generally inspect parts to my hearts content if they are not busy. I go on Saturdays.

That being said...for certain parts Duralast brand can be very high quality. Having been doing work for several OEMS over the past few years...I have seen what some of the rebranding/house brand parts really are.

Duralast makes nothing. They are parts bought from a wide range...and yes...its getting better for the most part.

An example I posted last year...is that the Duralast strut boots I bought for my 412 (which are really from a Golf)....and are quite nice...are actually the same part number and make used in several FLAPS chains...and are made by Federal Mogul. I find ball joints and tie rod ends this way as well.

But...being a discount parts house....or at least serving a majority of "discount style" customers... Laughing ....there are still a wide range of parts from Duralast brand that are on the cheap end.

I think the improvement you are seeing...is that they are getting savvy and more picky...moving toward what NAPA is...and being a little more picky as to what they want to include under the Duralast name.

NAPA...has some superb parts...but they are a little harder to pin down. They are a little more stringent and have their house brand parts made from specific suppliers. Some of these items are better than factory...and are in fact OEM parts that have been reboxed under the NAPA house brand so the only way to know is to go there and open boxes.

The points, condensers and injector seal kits are this way. Most are Echlin or Standard Motor Products. Ray
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: RockAuto vs. VW online retailers Reply with quote

8 miles of easy traffic to the autozone warehouse, 14 of nasty traffic to the NAPA warehouse. We have BAP Geon too, but on the expensive side and honestly sometimes harder to deal with than autozone folks Shocked Laughing

We do have a mon-sat place here, XL parts that is more of a wholesale place and they deliver to all the repair shops. They do sell at the counter to cash customers too. Timken bearings half the price of NAPA. I do use NAPA when I can but when the same part same brand is 50% less...
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: RockAuto vs. VW online retailers Reply with quote

www.bughaus.com

It's within 5 miles of work, I can hit it during lunch hour. I like this place.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: RockAuto vs. VW online retailers Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
So when our VW parts houses go out of business, at least you'll still have Rock Auto………

Christ……
Robbie

What "local" parts houses are you referring to? Autozone? World Pac (bought by CARQUEST, which was then bought by Advance)? O'Riely's? Napa? PepBoys? Walker? ALL of the "local" stores have already been displaced by the national/international chains & the smaller ones of those are being absorbed by or buy from the other chains.

Even as a 25+ year customer of some of the larger chains, Rock Auto is beating my wholesale prices by 60-80%, if I've got to wait until the next day for parts anyway, I'm going to order the cheaper alternative.

How often do you shop your local clothing/grocery stores vs popping into a Walmart?
After the last takeover by Advance, I've seen the prices become more expensive through WorldPac, I can now order most of the parts cheaper directly from the dealer.

Uhhhhh, I never said local. This same thing comes up every year:

BusDepot made a deal with Koni to get shocks made for bay buses. Then some asshat complains about the price, and finds some discount website offering the shocks for cheaper. So now the chump has saved $5 on a $125 purchase, (per shock.) But BusDepot spent years building the relationship with Koni to make a special run of special shocks for us, and you want to save $5 and not thank them for the efforts? Without buying power of VW specialty shops, many parts that are available now would not exist.

I didn't say shop at your local mom and pop hot rod shop. And Wolfsburg West/BusDepot/Airhead/Aircooled.net are HARDLY big box retailers… When I can support their business, I will, because they support our cars more than any other retailer ever will.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: RockAuto vs. VW online retailers Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

Christ……
Robbie

BusDepot made a deal with Koni to get shocks made for bay buses. Then some asshat complains about the price, and finds some discount website offering the shocks for cheaper. So now the chump has saved $5 on a $125 purchase, (per shock.) But BusDepot spent years building the relationship with Koni to make a special run of special shocks for us, and you want to save $5 and not thank them for the efforts? Without buying power of VW specialty shops, many parts that are available now would not exist.

I didn't say shop at your local mom and pop hot rod shop. And Wolfsburg West/BusDepot/Airhead/Aircooled.net are HARDLY big box retailers… When I can support their business, I will, because they support our cars more than any other retailer ever will.

Robbie

Sigh.... Rolling Eyes ...true. And sadly...I am a part of the problem...kind of.

Companies like Aircooled.net, the type 4 store and Busdepot....I try to frequent every chance I can to:

A. Get the best parts I can and...
B. To try to keep them in business.

As I frequently note...I restore and work on primarily 411 and 412. The cost is not an option....unless I simply do have not enough money...and then I buy nothing until I either find the money or the same quality and brand part for the range I can afford....or I make the sacrifice...late on the rent and no liquor for a week...and buy what is needed.

This is because there simply are few if any parts for these cars....and because of that..connecting crappy quality parts to other rare parts I cannot replace is not an option.

So the point I am making...is that not only brand (it starts there)...but quality...are critical as to whether I am going to buy a part for my cars.

The problem I see with many of the other VW stores.....like Cip1 and to some extent...all of them...is that over the years as they start to also offer the cheap/crap parts....partly because its all they can get of some items...and partly because they have to be able to serve those buyers who simply do not care about the quality or are cheap.........or they cannot compete and keep the doors open.

Thats fine...I understand that. The problem I see.....is that with these good VW centric vendors...in some cases not enough is being done to properly list not just country of origin (which they may not know)...but details on the quality of a given part you are viewing online.

I also realize this is hard to do, in some cases cannot be readily done...and not entirely their fault.

Regardless of those stated facts....its one reason I frequent RockAuto a lot. The parts are well categorized with respect to known quality...and they "generally" have an extensive range.
When I find a part on Rockauto that fit my 412...I do not immediately buy it. I research it as much as I can....and that includes checking for teh same part # and brand on the sites of VW vendors.

If I can find it for even within 10% of the cost at a VW vendor and my research notes the brand is what it needs to be...I will buy from the VW vendor.

If I am taking a risk...and not enough is known about the part from either Rockauto....or from the VW vendor....and the cost is 20% less or lower...without even getting into shipping.....I buy from the cheapest source...usually Rockauto.

If I am going to roll the dice for a mystery part....I will place the lowest bet.

The Centric caliper rebuild kits were an example of this. Nowhere was I able to find exact known quality FAG or ATE caliper rebuild kits (had not yet found PMB performance...oddly).....and Centric has researched out well...and at $10 per kit....would at the least be a cheap learning experience. Turned out they were re-bagged FAG. Best of all worlds.

Sadly the online VW vendors are becoming similar to the big chains in what they offer through no fault of their own. Ray
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: RockAuto vs. VW online retailers Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

Christ……
Robbie

Robbie

I wont sweat 5% or even 10% difference between a VW specialty house and RA. By specialty house, I really do not mean CIP, but I do mean John @ aircooled, or CB. I have asked them questions via email, and gotten solid thought out answers. Also, they perform quite a bit of QC that I would otherwise have to do myself, and then handle subsequent returns etc.
For this, the 5%-10% is reasonable.
(If I ask a question from John, and realize I do need the part, I will buy from him regardless of price differences. The expertise, and willingness to educate the rest of us is what I am paying for in those instances)

I will sweat 50% for the same brand.

Anything that I may need warranty coverage, or has a core, I will use a local store just because it is the easiest overall.

Rob
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: RockAuto vs. VW online retailers Reply with quote

I got a awesome throttle cable from my local oriley for $7.00 ,pioneer brand. I orederd a cable form......53 whatchehoozit(vw parts house) it was a gremen throttell cable for$8... it got hear 8 days after the oriley cable was instaled, the oriley p;ioneer cable had a graphite impregnated sheeth over the ss cable, and is so smooth you cant feal squat. the germany cable has no sheeth and...is made in poland Shocked so...when did poland annex germany??crap i was there 2 months ago, I musta missed it.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: RockAuto vs. VW online retailers Reply with quote

I buy a lot of parts from Rock Auto, but not much for my old VW's. That stuff usually comes from VW specific suppliers. I did get a 1970 only ATE master cylinder in a Raybestos box for $27 awhile back, though.

Up until a couple of years ago I had an excellent local air-cooled ONLY VW shop to buy from. He quit the business after several decades of success, for many reasons. Not the least of which was the lack of availability of quality replacement parts. Bus CV boots were a big one, as we all know. When he services a couple of dozen local buses (yes, we had that many around here), and each of them comes back for warranty on torn CV boots a few times a year, he has to eat that labor cost. That's just one example.

Luckily for me, he still has a few parts on the shelves of his now closed shop. I have been able to find what I need on his dusty shelves more than once, even if he wasn't in town.

Also, Amazon, though convenient, is often far from the cheapest online source. Many times I have found it to be much more expensive than buying elsewhere.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: RockAuto vs. VW online retailers Reply with quote

Back in High School and College I used Napa exclusively, I drove a '73 Squareback,
any other auto parts store would hand me Beetle Parts, at least Napa knew the difference between a Bug and a Squarevack.
I moved to California and was blown away by the number of different European Parts Houses.
All of those guys where gone long gone except for BugFormance 15 years ago.
I used to go to my local Bugformance to buy everything, but with the advent of the web most of my big orders were on line.
Small stuff, or oversized stuff I used Bugformance.
I used Rocky Mountain Motor Works until they crashed, people on the samba bitched they were expensive.
They were good, and if I didn't like the part they did returns with no BS.
I dealt directly West Coast Metric for every piece of rubber when I restored my '78 Convertible.
Bus Depot sent me 4 injectors by wrapping the 4 Bosch boxes with wrapping tape,
and sticking an address label on them and sending them to me.
Mid-America's parts looked like JC Witney shit when you got them, not the high quality parts shown in the catalog.
And there were a few other vendors I used before I found AirCooled.net and CB Performance.
3 years ago I went back to my local guy, and his display wall was now all EMPI.
I bought my Bosch Plugs, but was shocked to see all that EMPI stuff in one place.
To me CB Performance and AirCooled.net are just too good of a resource to price shop on them.
That doesn't mean I'll blindly follow them, but for right now they're who I choose to buy from.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: RockAuto vs. VW online retailers Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
To me CB Performance and AirCooled.net are just too good of a resource to price shop on them. That doesn't mean I'll blindly follow them, but for right now they're who I choose to buy from.

I haven't dealt yet with AirCooled.net but likely will do so in the future. They seem to have great customer interest in fixing these, like with their Time Sert services.

I've dealt with CB since the Claude's Buggies days in 1976. For some reason I really trust that they will not only stand behind the stuff they sell, but that they will not stock stuff that's junk or that customers have not been happy with. I bought pistons/cylinders, Maxi2, lifters, and more from CB for my recent 1600cc rebuild. And the Weber, intake system, and German 009 bought from them in 1976 are still running strong !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: RockAuto vs. VW online retailers Reply with quote

I've used aircooled.net a couple times in the past couple of months. I ordered via online. No issues and good parts. I also appreciate they try not to peddle garbage parts like so many other vendors.

I have only used CB Performance a few times. I was underwhelmed by the woman who answers the phone. She wasn't friendly and acted like they were doing me a favor selling me parts. They also screwed up the order. My takeaway was it's a small, Mom and pop business who've never invested in anything resembling customer service training. I have zero patience for lousy customer service.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: RockAuto vs. VW online retailers Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I've used aircooled.net a couple times in the past couple of months. I ordered via online. No issues and good parts. I also appreciate they try not to peddle garbage parts like so many other vendors.

I have only used CB Performance a few times. I was underwhelmed by the woman who answers the phone. She wasn't friendly and acted like they were doing me a favor selling me parts. They also screwed up the order. My takeaway was it's a small, Mom and pop business who've never invested in anything resembling customer service training. I have zero patience for lousy customer service.

Oddly.....i have the exact same opinion of both of those vendors. I use AC.net whenever I can.....if its not something exactly the same that I can buy from a local VW vendor.....which we do not have around here.

CB performance....I have "0" issues with their parts quality.....but have had the exact same issue with whomever that woman is that answers the phone. Have called numerous times to ask very specific questions about some of their parts.

I can appreciate an "I dont know " if the person I am apeaking to doea not know the answer.
But was kind of put off by the attitude that I was asking about parts that were in a kit....and should just be buying it if I want to find out those details.
Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: