Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2018 Type 3 Invasion - June 14-17, 2018 Scottsboro, AL
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarionMcDonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 Type 3 Invasion - June 14-17, 2018 Scottsboro, AL Reply with quote

2018 Type 3 Invasion Hotel and Event Information. I would greatly appreciate if Invaders would take care of these tasks as soon as possible.

Hotel reservations: I encourage all Invaders who plan to stay in the host hotel to make their reservations as quickly as possible. Twenty rooms were initially blocked off by the hotel for the Invasion. Currently, reservations have been made for 15 rooms. At this point I can acquire more rooms, if needed, above the original 20, but this may be a problem as we get closer to the Invasion date. This hotel is generally heavily booked by business people throughout the year, so there may come a time when no additional rooms are available. The best way to make reservations is via the link on the Invasion website. If the reservations are done quickly, I will have more leverage to block off more rooms. Cabins at Jackson County Park are also still available to rent.

Early Bird Gathering at our Home on Thursday, June 14, 2018: For planning purposes, although there is no cost involved, I need a headcount of the number of Invaders who plan to attend this activity. Please communicate by text message at 256-242-4239 or by the email address below with your name and the total number of participants in your party.

Friday Cruise to VW Factory: There will a catered box lunch during this event, so I also need a tentative headcount. I will develop a final headcount on Thursday and the morning of the cruise, but the caterer will need an estimate on Thursday. I will collect funds for this on Thursday, Friday morning, and at the VW factory. The final exact cost has not been determined, but it will probably be in the neighborhood of $10 per person.
Please provide text message or email with your name and the total number of participants in your party.

Saturday Night Invasion Dinner: The deadline for making reservations and receipt of the funds for the dinner is June 8, 2018. Please make your reservations as soon as possible to facilitate the planning process. The cost is $20 per adult, $10 for children age 12 and under. Payment can be made with PayPal through my email address or by mailing a check payable to me to PO Box 378, Section, Alabama 35771. If you need to cancel your reservation, I will promptly refund your funds.

If you have any questions, please communicate with me by text message or email.

Marion McDonald
2018 Type 3 Invasion Host
PO Box 378
Section, AL 35771
256-242-4239
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 Type 3 Invasion - June 14-17, 2018 Scottsboro, AL Reply with quote

I'm very sad to say that I won't be making my first Invasion as I thought I was going to be able to. I got bumped out of my job/position (damn union/sonority) and the new spot I fell into wont honor my vacation time. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarionMcDonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 Type 3 Invasion - June 14-17, 2018 Scottsboro, AL Reply with quote

The 2018 Type 3 Invasion is fast approaching and I appreciate the feedback that many invaders have submitted regarding their plans to attend the gathering at our house on Thursday evening, the VW factory tour on Friday, and the dinner on Saturday night. Many potential attendees have not made their intentions known. For planning purposes, this information is important, so I encourage everyone to relay this information to me as soon as possible by phone, text, or a post on the Samba or Type3.org. Remember also to submit your funds for the Saturday dinner ($20 per person, $10 for children 12 and under). The most efficient way to submit the funds is via my PayPal account using my email address. You can also submit a check payable to me to the PO Box listed below. I will acknowledge receipt of all fund submissions. I will also provide prompt refunds to anyone who has a need to cancel. The caterer needs a final headcount by June 8, so please submit your funds before that deadline.

The deadline for making reservations at the host hotel utilizing the Type 3 Invasion rate is May 24. This hotel generally stays booked up with business people coming into the area. They have just recently broken ground for a $600 million Google data center in the county which could further adversely affect the availability of hotel rooms. Please make your hotel reservation soon, preferably using the link on the Invasion website to insure your inclusion with the Invasion group. There are presently only a finite number of rooms reserved for the Invasion attendees. After the deadline, I cannot guarantee the availability of additional rooms.

There are also several cabins still available for rent at Jackson County Park. These almost new cabins are in walking distance of the Invasion pavilion. They accommodate up to eight persons and each cabin has separate bedrooms and a kitchen. Interior and exterior photos of the cabins can be viewed on the Invasion website. The management at the park has graciously decided to offer these cabins to Type 3 attendees using their winter rates. This concession will result in a substantial savings to attendees. These rates reduce the cost of a two day stay from $371.20 to $280.00. A three day stay will be reduced from $531.80 to $395.00. The local hotel taxes are included in these rates. There are a limited number of cabins, so if you are interested in this, please act fast.

I have mentioned this before, but I will mention it again to refresh your memory. If anyone is utilizing a trailer to bring their Type 3 to the invasion, they can store the trailer at my house for the duration of the Invasion.

If anyone has additional questions or concerns that I have not addressed, please communicate with me by phone, text, or email.

Marion McDonald
PO Box 378
Section, AL 35771
[email protected]
256-242-4239
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratlookvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 Type 3 Invasion - June 14-17, 2018 Scottsboro, AL Reply with quote

Working hard! Hope to bring three t34s 62,63, and 64 rhd
57 Panel, 66 highroof panel, 65 Notch, 59 Vert, 61 Vert, 1969 Fridolin, 'Reggie ' 66 RV, 65 Pipe Truck, 65 RHD T-34, 70 dbl slider panel, 1969 Deep sea green sunroof automatic square, the greypoop-on, and a shit load of wheels!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 Type 3 Invasion - June 14-17, 2018 Scottsboro, AL Reply with quote

I am considering the possibility of visiting friends outside Decatur that weekend, which would allow me to join at least some of the festivities. I was not otherwise planning to attend (from SoCal).

If this works out, hopefully I (and maybe my wife, too) can join the cruises/caravans shotgun or back seat, and catch the tours. I'm not sure what hotel reservations we will need... still in the planning stage.

Fingers crossed!
MarionMcDonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 Type 3 Invasion - June 14-17, 2018 Scottsboro, AL Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I am considering the possibility of visiting friends outside Decatur that weekend, which would allow me to join at least some of the festivities. I was not otherwise planning to attend (from SoCal).

If this works out, hopefully I (and maybe my wife, too) can join the cruises/caravans shotgun or back seat, and catch the tours. I'm not sure what hotel reservations we will need... still in the planning stage.

Fingers crossed!

I'll put you and your spouse down as a maybe. Let me know when you determine one way or the other.

Marion McDonald
jaransonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 Type 3 Invasion - June 14-17, 2018 Scottsboro, AL Reply with quote

Just updated the Invasion website with more details on the Schedule of Events, the tech sessions, the VW Factory Tour, and more.

Just 2 short months away!

'Bama or bust.

http://www.carartbyjohn.com/2018Invasion/index.html
'69 Square
'70-1 Fasty
https://www.carartbyjohn.com
https://www.carartbyjohn.com/2024Invasion/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 Type 3 Invasion - June 14-17, 2018 Scottsboro, AL Reply with quote

Looks like it could set a record!
Tangerine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 Type 3 Invasion - June 14-17, 2018 Scottsboro, AL Reply with quote

Thanks for all your work. Looking forward to June.
jaransonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 Type 3 Invasion - June 14-17, 2018 Scottsboro, AL Reply with quote

Wow! Only 6 weeks to go! Hard to believe it is coming up so fast. We have a great event planned thanks to our local hosts, Marion and Peg MacDonald. Check out the schedule of events for the weekend...

http://www.carartbyjohn.com/2018Invasion/EventSchedule2018.html

I have also made some more updates to the website including adding more items for the Charity Auction.

Check it all out! 'Bama or bust!
'69 Square
'70-1 Fasty
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
jaransonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 Type 3 Invasion - June 14-17, 2018 Scottsboro, AL Reply with quote

I am still taking pre-orders for the Invasion shirts. No obligation to buy them or pre-pay for them, but it does guarantee that you that I order the sizes and quantities that you want. I also pre-sort them and set them aside so it makes it easy to distribute them at the Invasion. Just send me an email at [email protected] with the quantities and sizes you want. Of course, I will order extras of each size if you want to take your chances. <G>

I plan to place the order for the shirts on May 25th, so let me know before then.

Remember that $3 from the sale of each shirt goes to the Invasion charity and they are only $12.
'69 Square
'70-1 Fasty
jaransonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 Type 3 Invasion - June 14-17, 2018 Scottsboro, AL Reply with quote

Also, if your plans have changed and you are not going to make it, please let me know so that I can take your name off the list. We use the list info for pre-printing the name tag buttons and will start that in the next week or so. Also please double check that I have your names (including spouses name if they are coming). city, state, and car info correct on the list since use that for the buttons also.
'69 Square
'70-1 Fasty
ratlookvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 Type 3 Invasion - June 14-17, 2018 Scottsboro, AL Reply with quote

Where are all the FLA t3 owners at? Roll call I saw some awesome t3s at no dough show. Hope to see them this weekend!!! Twisted Evil
57 Panel, 66 highroof panel, 65 Notch, 59 Vert, 61 Vert, 1969 Fridolin, 'Reggie ' 66 RV, 65 Pipe Truck, 65 RHD T-34, 70 dbl slider panel, 1969 Deep sea green sunroof automatic square, the greypoop-on, and a shit load of wheels!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jaransonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 Type 3 Invasion - June 14-17, 2018 Scottsboro, AL Reply with quote

Holy cow! Only one month to go until the start of the 2018 Type 3 Invasion. Thanks for all the updates to the Invaders List. Don't forget to pre-order your Invasion t-shirts if you want to make sure you get the size you want. Also make sure you RSVP with Marion for the various activities.

See everyone in a month….

Later,
John Jaranson
www.carartbyjohn.com
'69 Square
'70-1 Fasty
MarionMcDonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 Type 3 Invasion - June 14-17, 2018 Scottsboro, AL Reply with quote

The Invasion is less than a month away, so we are in the final stages of preparation in Scottsboro. We encourage you to take care of any of the items listed below as soon as possible so that we may be better able to make final plans.

Hotel Reservations: The deadline for making reservations at the Hampton Inn in Scottsboro is May 24. The easiest way to make reservations is the link on the Invasion website. Here is the link to that page: http://www.carartbyjohn.com/2018Invasion/Lodging2018.html
After this date, we will have to relinquish the rooms back to the hotel, so the ability to make reservations after this date will not be certain. This hotel stays booked up, so act quickly. There are still cabins available for rent at Jackson County Park. Information on this location is also presented on the Invasion website page. Please note that the rates for the cabins are less than those presented on their site. Lower winter rates apply to the Invaders. To get the lower rate, please indicate that you are part of Volkswagen Type 3 Invasion group when making reservations.

Thursday night June 14th gathering at our house: The gathering starts about 6 pm, but if you arrive a little earlier than this that will be all right. Food will be provided, so do not eat an evening meal before you come. There is no cost involved, but we need to have a fairly accurate headcount to make sure there is enough food. This is a come- and- go event and we will probably continue until after dark. Our address is listed below. Call me (256-242-4239) if you need directions or your GPS leads you astray. I will also be collecting funds for the VW Factory tour lunch on Friday.

Friday, June 15th VW Factory cruise: I will need to notify the lunch caterer on Tuesday, June 12 with a headcount. I can add a few more after this date, but the flexibility is limited. I will only order food for those on the list, so communicate with me if you plan to eat lunch. I will collect most of the lunch funds on Thursday night and the remainder before we leave on Friday.

We will be leaving the host hotel in Scottsboro for the cruise to the factory promptly at 7am CDT on Friday. The VW Factory is in the Eastern Time zone and we need to arrive, park our vehicles and be ready for the museum tour by 10am EDT (9am CDT). For those of you who are going to meet us at the factory, there is a photo on the Invasion website of the factory. We will be entering from the rear of the building and parking in the atrium of the conference center marked on the photo.

Saturday June 16th Invasion Dinner: I will need to notify the caterer for the dinner with a headcount on June 8. Several of you have indicated that you plan to attend the dinner, but you have not sent your funds. If you have not previously done so, please send me an email if you plan to attend. Send the funds so that I receive them by the deadline date. The easiest way to get the funds to me is by my PayPal account linked to my email address.

Please call or email me if you have additional questions or concerns.

Marion McDonald
633 Main Street North
PO Box 378
Section, AL 35771
256-242-4239
[email protected]
jaransonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 Type 3 Invasion - June 14-17, 2018 Scottsboro, AL Reply with quote

I made some more updates to the Invasion website including a few more items for the charity auction. If anyone has Type 3 related items they want to donate for the auction please let me know.

I also I put an asterisks next to your name on the Invaders list if we have record of you pre-paying for the Saturday dinner. As Marion has mentioned we need an accurate count and pre-payment by June 8th if you plan to attend the catered dinner on Saturday night.

Still at 50+ Invaders with teh recent adds and drops. Thanks again for those that updated me on the status for making the Invasion. Please let me know if you cannot make it as we starting to prep the list for making the name tag buttons.

Also remember to let me know about t-shirt size you want so I can be sure to include them in the order.
'69 Square
'70-1 Fasty
jadney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 Type 3 Invasion - June 14-17, 2018 Scottsboro, AL Reply with quote

I'm trying to set up a western great lakes caravan from Wisconsin to the Alabama invasion. I've gone thru the Invasion attendees list on the web site and picked out all the names of people who might be candidates for joining us. I've already sent out emails to those people, but if you're thinking about coming but are not yet on the list, let me know and I'll add you to my email distribution list.

If you are in MN, IO, WI, IL, IN, MO, western KY, or western TN, and hope to caravan with us, please send me a private message so I can put you on my distribution list. I have not tried to include the "local" folks from AL because that part of the trip is probably too short to bother with trying to meet up and caravan, but I'm willing if anyone really wants to.

From Madison, WI, this is about a 12 hour drive. We'll be leaving Wednesday morning, planning to spend one night in western KY and arrive in plenty of time for the Thursday evening dinner with Marion & Peg.

Here's the route I plan to take.

I-39 from Madison, WI to Normal, IL

I-74 from Normal to Champaign, IL

I-57 from Champaign to where I-24 splits off in southern IL

Overnight in western Kentucky, probably in/near Paducah

I-24 from the split to Kimball, TN

US-72 from Kimball to Scottsboro, AL

Remember, getting there is half the fun, so wherever you are, join up with other Type 3s and drive to the Invasion together. If you're coming from a different part of the US, John Jaranson will be coming down from the Detroit area and Keith Park will be coming from NY. Join up with one of them.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 Type 3 Invasion - June 14-17, 2018 Scottsboro, AL Reply with quote

Awesome! Sure wish I was able to do this one.
MarionMcDonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 Type 3 Invasion - June 14-17, 2018 Scottsboro, AL Reply with quote

Type 3 Invasion VW factory cruise update: Although there is a change to the schedule of events at the VW factory, this change will not affect the cruise to the factory which will go on as scheduled.

The VW factory has notified me that upper management at the factory has suspended factory tours for the foreseeable future. Volkswagen has a new model coming out which is built at this factory, and they are not ready for the public to see it. It is not unusual for the factory to be closed for public tours. These tours are sometimes suspended for months at a time.

I am sure many of you are disappointed at this development, but it will work to our advantage. This will give us more time to tour the VW Academy at the factory, and we will be able to tour this facility at a more leisurely pace. I had the pleasure of viewing the VW Academy back in February. This is a large and impressive facility with much to see. The staff plans to divide the Invaders into small groups and give each group a tour of the facilities. The factory trains both factory line workers and dealership technicians in all aspects of vehicle production or maintenance. This will be a hands-on guided tour of all the work stations installed throughout the building which include assembly line robotics, 3D printers, and welding to name a few. There are also a number of vintage Volkswagens on display throughout the academy.

Here is the new schedule:

7:00 am CDT: Depart the host hotel in Scottsboro.
9:30 am EDT: Arrival and park the Type 3 vehicles in the VW Factory Conference Center Atrium. Invaders in non T3 daily driver vehicles will park in the visitor’s parking lot next to the conference center.
10:00 am EDT: Begin tours of VW Factory Academy
12:00 pm EDT: Break for lunch in the Atrium (Box lunches will be provided for those who preordered them at $10 per person)
1:00 pm EDT: Continue tours of the Academy
2:00 pm EDT or until tours are complete: Depart VW factory and cruise back to the host hotel. There are a couple of alternate routes back to the hotel on more side roads that we can take at a slower pace since there are no scheduling constraints. We will lead one group up the mountain from Trenton, Georgia on GA Hwy 136 to AL Hwy 71 on a zigzag road with hair pin turns.

I currently have 40 Invaders involving approximately 20 cars signed up to make the cruise from the hotel or to meet us at the factory. I will order box lunches from the VW factory caterer using this list a couple of days before the cruise. If you want a box lunch ordered, please notify me of your intensions via email. If you are on the list and your plans change, please let me know so I will order the correct number of box lunches. I will collect most of the box lunch funds on Thursday night at the gathering at my house. If you are not coming to that, please be prepared to pay me before we leave the hotel. As a convenience, some of you may want to prepay me via PayPal, especially those that are meeting us at the factory since I will not see you until we arrive there. Last minute additions to the box lunch list will not be possible on the day of the cruise.

I still have a few people who have not submitted funds for the Saturday night dinner. Remember the deadline for the funds to reach me is Friday, June 8, 2018. Speaking from experience, those of you who are not planning to attend the dinner will be missing out on a fun event.

If you have additional questions, please email or call me.

Marion McDonald
[email protected]
256-242-4239
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 Type 3 Invasion - June 14-17, 2018 Scottsboro, AL Reply with quote

I'm in Birmingham and I'd just to just come up and spectate. I'd be in my Bus because I know the nice country backroads to there and it'd be a nice drive. I know I'd be in spectator parking, totally cool, just like Bus only shows, but if I'm coming up just for either Saturday or Sunday to just check out the cars and such, is that ok?

I'm a former Type 3 owner (one Notch, two Squares) and I miss the hell out of them. It probably won't be smart for me to see a bunch of them. I'll want another Square even more than I do already. Laughing

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: