Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuilt auto tranny lurches forward in cold start-ups
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Rebuilt auto tranny lurches forward in cold start-ups Reply with quote

I have a new (rebuilt) auto tranny, torque convertor, diff, and LSD in my 85 westy mated to a 2.3 GW motor. The motor has 100,000 km on it but the rest was installed recently. Also had new drive shafts and cv's installed recently.

PROBLEM:

If the van is cold when started it lurches forward when the engine starts. Not much, but there is a noticable forward motion of a few inches. This only happens on occassion (about 1 in every ten start ups). It has never done this when the van has started when it was warm.

As well, when the van is decellerating and slowing down gradually (imagine coasting to a stop) the downshifts seem a bit harsh (not a smooth shift but rather harsh). When accellerating slowly, the van also has a rough shift when shifting into a higher gear. These shifting issues are intermittent and only occur on slow shifts or when the van is accellerating or decellerating gently. Also, if I tap the gas pedal abruptly there is a definite clunk sound/feeling. BTW engine mounts were replaced recently.

Westfalia gurus, what could be causing this? Is something out of adjustment? Someone else mentioned an issue referred to as "drain back issue" but didn't elaborate. Any insight would be great! cheers!
2013 ktm 690r
Sector nine pintail
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt auto tranny lurches forward in cold start ups Reply with quote

Hello, are you saying that when you start the van, it lurches forward in park or when you select drive?
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt auto tranny lurches forward in cold start ups Reply with quote

MarkWard,

It lurches forward when I start the van in park.
2013 ktm 690r
Sector nine pintail
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt auto tranny lurches forward in cold start ups Reply with quote

If this is do, there is something amiss with the park pawl, along with some more items from your description.

Better get it repaired pretty quick.
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt auto tranny lurches forward in cold start ups Reply with quote

Thanks TK

Another thing I've noticed but figured wasn't an issue is shifting between gears is more difficult. It takes more arm strength to shift the selector. Bit of a clunk too when shifting between park, drive, and reverse. This clunking is typical though correct?
2013 ktm 690r
Sector nine pintail
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt auto tranny lurches forward in cold start ups Reply with quote

Yeah the pawl or the dentitions it falls into. Have you been throwing it into park while the van is still moving? Or maybe you did what I tried and ran through the gears while the axles were removed with the motor running? Don't put it back in park if you try that.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt auto tranny lurches forward in cold start-ups Reply with quote

Get it back to the trans shop asap.

Let them figure it out.
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt auto tranny lurches forward in cold start-ups Reply with quote

Pablum,

No. I stop before putting the van in park Smile someone else did the install so I'm not sure if they ran through the gears without the axles installed.
2013 ktm 690r
Sector nine pintail
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt auto tranny lurches forward in cold start ups Reply with quote

shorepig wrote:
MarkWard,

It lurches forward when I start the van in park.

There is a lot of slop by design in the parking pawl. I do not think that is your problem.

The problem is your forward clutch pack is not released. In park or neutral it should not be engaged. If it is..then the transmission is trying to move forward hard, in park.

As an experiment..try starting in neutral and see if the transmission is moving the Vanagon forward like it was in gear?

Some slight drag in the forward clutch is normal...just slight though...but not like you are describing.
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt auto tranny lurches forward in cold start-ups Reply with quote

I should add..if your idle speed is too high..the transmission will behave the same way too. Idle speed should be less the 1000 rpms
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt auto tranny lurches forward in cold start-ups Reply with quote

I have been thinking the same on this phenomenon.

What actually is a lurch?

If the idle is cranked up too high, I would be more prone to describe it as a "Bang"
amwaj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt auto tranny lurches forward in cold start-ups Reply with quote

he said it lurches forward when in park

could that be idle speed?

Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt auto tranny lurches forward in cold start-ups Reply with quote

As mentioned the idle should be under 1000 rpm.

850-900 would be good.

What is your van idling at?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: