Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

Angelus343 wrote:
... Are you adding on a load wire from the battery? I'm a bit confused about what that achieves, I can't picture the wiring your describing but I'm going to look in the Bentley at a wire diagram.

The red 2g battery cable provides less resistance/more cranking amps to the starter and it eliminates the confusion regarding the black OG positive cable.The fused red wire goes to 12v outlets in the jump seat for electric blankets. You won't find that wiring in the Bentley. It's my hack.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:

The red 2g battery cable provides less resistance/more cranking amps to the starter and it eliminates the confusion regarding the black OG positive cable.The fused red wire goes to 12v outlets in the jump seat for electric blankets. You won't find that wiring in the Bentley. It's my hack.

Aloha
tp

Aren't all battery posts marked + and -? I'd be pretty scared if someone touched my bus and couldn't figure out which post was positive and which was negative. Razz Laughing

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

The water up front is due to the lack of vapor barriers and their inner flaps, the scrapers do little to keep water out, VW just let it all run through and diverted it out of the way: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=445486&highlight=barrier . Looks like you'll want to buy shares in the Waxoil company, that whole bus would benefit from a good sloppy coating inside all the panels and doors, at least it'll arrest the rot until you can address it properly.

The hatch seal is weak even when it's brand new, cleaning out the slot it fits in so it can seal against the body as well as the hatch will help, bending that drip rail back up so it's not peeing on the hatch seam might help as well.

The foam engine seal looks OK for now, but if you can scratch it with your fingernail and make a gouge it needs replacement, it's around that stage of decay that bits break off and go into the fan clogging up the cooling system.

The grommets around the oil filler funnel and dipstick not only seal off warm air, they also prevent the tin from digging through the side of the tube, if you can't source the correct grommets right now some split fuel line and RTV may be a good alternative.

Still doesn't look all that bad overall, we've seen much worse here, yours is tame in comparison to some Cool

As already mentioned, "one bite at a time", don't freak out over the big picture, pick an item and deal with it, then move on to the next microproject.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

My take in these is this; don't try to look at it all, it will overwhelm you.

Break it down into manageable-sized pieces.

1. Do your homework - here and in the Bentley.
2. Get the parts you need - based upon the homework.
3. Get the tools, again, based upon what you learned.
4. Take it apart.
5. Clean it up.
6. Put it back together.
7. Test it out.
8. Repeat as necessary.

Or, alternately,
8. Celebrate!

Like, for example the CVs or throttle cable.
Get new CV boots or throttle stuff.
Do like the guys here say, and make one finished/clean/right thing.
Then you will have that one part done for a good long while...

When you are balls deep in a big project like the motor or trans,
You won't have to think about the CVs or throttle cable!

Have fun!

What’s That Noise?!?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

Oh, and I cover cleaning out heater boxes in the Bus Motor Build in my sig.

it's also in the Bentley.

FWIW.

What’s That Noise?!?
Angelus343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:

I get it! That seems very similar to one of the "mandatory" upgrades I read on the ratwell website, I think I'm going to do that sooner then later for sure. Electric blankets are on the list now.
Angelus343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

Minor Update:

I got few requests for pictures of the interior and crazy enough the sun was out today for more then a few minutes! So I went out and took of few of the current state of things.

Basic pictures of the exterior.

____

We removed all the kick trim panels to see what we're dealing with, and from what I can see it's not bad at all. Except for the wire cluster, it looks awful.

They put a wire bundle behind the airduct hinge, so whenever you close the duct it crimps these all together. Major face palm.

Apparently I have a window washer reservoir! There was no indication I had one, no buttons or lever pumps around. Just this random tank of fluid.

____

This cabinet is the one non-original piece in here, it's a mix of original wood and pieces of random panels. the stove and sink don't seem stock, and the water container is in the bottom of where the icebox is sometimes.

____

Thankfully the material seems in good shape, the rest of the cushions and fabric are in the wash.

____

I found the cables for these speakers just routed under the carpet form the dash, Im super anal about wire routing so more facepalming is necessary.

____

These seats drive me insane, no adjustment at all and I'm only 5'3. You should see me try to drive this, I look ridiculous.

____

All the panels are made with this fabric, clashes pretty hard with the original plaid so we're thinking of doing a tweed/wood mix. I plan on tracing these and using Baltic bird or MDF as replacements. Lack of any vapor barriers has rotted quite a few of these panels.

____

Couldn't do any tests today or even the oil change, I'm one size away from having the right socket to change the oil, can't wait for my tools to arrive.
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

So I went with Baltic Birch to replace my wood headliner...awesome.

Also for authentic panels:

http://nlavw.com/interior/198-westfalia-interior-panel-for-berlin-7-piece-set.html

May not be the correct set but you get the idea...they're VERY nice people to deal with as well.

Curt
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

Angelus343 wrote:
oscarsnapkin wrote:
Invest in some cans of Gum-Out, some rags and a paint scraper to clean all that mess off and you'll have a much easier time finding the source of your leak. In the second picture you posted it appears as if there's a crack in the bellhousing on the transmission. Not sure if that's something that can be repaired with a simple weld, someone else with more knowledge than I should be able to give you better advice on that.

Gum-out, ill write that down as a degreaser option. So far simple green looks like a nice one to use as well since I'm worried about the aluminum parts in the heater boxes.
I'm a bit worried about the transmission crack you see, I can't seem to find where it is though, do you mind pointing it out?

This is what I was talking about.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

oscarsnapkin wrote:
Angelus343 wrote:
oscarsnapkin wrote:
Invest in some cans of Gum-Out, some rags and a paint scraper to clean all that mess off and you'll have a much easier time finding the source of your leak. In the second picture you posted it appears as if there's a crack in the bellhousing on the transmission. Not sure if that's something that can be repaired with a simple weld, someone else with more knowledge than I should be able to give you better advice on that.

Gum-out, ill write that down as a degreaser option. So far simple green looks like a nice one to use as well since I'm worried about the aluminum parts in the heater boxes.
I'm a bit worried about the transmission crack you see, I can't seem to find where it is though, do you mind pointing it out?

This is what I was talking about.

I think you are just seeing the shadow of the one stiffening rib and not a crack.
Angelus343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

Tools finally came in the mail! Phase 1 tool kit complete.

Except for the large flat head. Can't seem to find one Confused Or a good file set, I hear getting a large bastard helps with the manifold copper gaskets.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

Angelus343 wrote:
Tools finally came in the mail! Phase 1 tool kit complete.

Except for the large flat head. Can't seem to find one Confused Or a good file set, I hear getting a large bastard helps with the manifold copper gaskets.

Nice kit. I like how you are taking this seriously. All in. Love it. Your VW will survive.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

You're missing a 3/8" torque wrench for the CV bolts, a 6 ft pipe to extend your cheater bar and a BFH.

Aloha
tp
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:

Aloha
tp

Aren't all battery posts marked + and -? I'd be pretty scared if someone touched my bus and couldn't figure out which post was positive and which was negative. Razz Laughing

They are, but you cannot get your head into the Bus engine room to look, really.

+1000 to Curt's suggestion for disconnects on both batteries. If you get a short, you do not have time to sort out which battery is shorting.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

Let's see a pic of your CVs all clean and shiny from a good gas bath!

Thou shall anoint thee - and blessed be thy who hath be thus baptized.

Upon departure of thine journey unto bushood, a bath of gas, and CV cleaning trials, shall impart upon the pilgrim the soundness of spirit, and show all in the village that the pilgrim has indeed fullness of heart, and drive, to follow the journey through the tribulations that the blessed shall encounter..

What’s That Noise?!?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

..and thou shalt not be awakened to the click clack clonk of the AntiChrist making havoc upon thy CV joints..
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
..and thou shalt not be awakened to the click clack clonk of the AntiChrist making havoc upon thy CV joints..
Shocked Shocked

Hallelujah brother Arrow let the snapping of the rubber glove and application of the sacred black grease followed by the click of the torque wrench usher in a period of tranquillity rolling down the road in search of the next VW crusade.

Sorry- I feel the spirit upon me occasionally-

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Angelus343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
You're missing a 3/8" torque wrench for the CV bolts, a 6 ft pipe to extend your cheater bar and a BFH.

Aloha
tp

I have that poor mans torque wrench on the left, some adapters wouldn't really hurt a torque reading from some reading i did. Would you recommend a different one? It was not too hard to read 9ft pounds for the strainer bolt today.

I have a BFH off screen, already owned one so I just posted what I got in the mail.
Angelus343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Let's see a pic of your CVs all clean and shiny from a good gas bath!

Thou shall anoint thee - and blessed be thy who hath be thus baptized.

Upon departure of thine journey unto bushood, a bath of gas, and CV cleaning trials, shall impart upon the pilgrim the soundness of spirit, and show all in the village that the pilgrim has indeed fullness of heart, and drive, to follow the journey through the tribulations that the blessed shall encounter..

Abscate wrote:

williamM wrote:

Hallelujah brother Arrow let the snapping of the rubber glove and application of the sacred black grease followed by the click of the torque wrench usher in a period of tranquillity rolling down the road in search of the next VW crusade.

Sorry- I feel the spirit upon me occasionally-

You guys are fucking great.
Angelus343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

So today I planned on changing the oil, tuning the engine and hopefully doing compression tests.

Turned out with the amount of little stuff that kept coming up with the interior I only got the oil change done which had little hangups in itself.

I figured an oil change is no big deal, but since i planned on inspecting and replacing the oil strainer and filter, I took my time and got comfortable with my new tools. (specifically the torque wrench.)

The previous oil strainer had two gaskets but the second one was not inbetween the strainer and the sump itself. There also was no crush washer for the bolt.

_____

I found this weird silicone stuff in the plate, but none in the strainer which was odd. The second gasket they used for the strainer was rubber, not paper. probably the parts of it kept melting and formed this shit.

____

I never knew the magic of gasoline as a cleaner. I do now. Shocked

____

New gaskets, strainer and washer.

____

I hit a snag for a while, and from what i read on samba and the lack of this particular step in the Bentley or Muir book. I used common sense in the end.

What happend was the my new strainer wouldn't fit onto the bolt, the previous strainer was a snug fit too but not as bad as the new one. The only way the new strainer could fit on was by threading it on, wouldn't didnt feel right at all.

I tried fileing it down, but that wasen't really working and felt more like improvising. In the end I used the original strainer which more or less slips over the bolt. It was still serviceable, so no biggie.

____

Here's some pictures of the improvised piece of crap kitchen cabinet that was installed. I wish i could show you this in person, it's a hybrid of original panels and actual bullshit slapped together.

It was actually glued on in so many places so the wife got angry.

Engine started which was nice, only the oil light went out after starting, the battery light stayed on indefinitely, engine sounded off and was skipping. Tune up is scheduled for tomorrow.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: