Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1385 exhaust / camshaft advice
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: 1385 exhaust / camshaft advice Reply with quote

I did search...

Will a stock (do not know the brand, already on the car and looks newish) muffler support
what i hope will be around 60 hp?

64x83
1300 SP heads, cleaned up and a proper valve job
8.5:1
2x34 PDSIT
Camshaft either stock with 1.1 on intake, or CB2280?
Stock exhaust with CSP "high flow" end pipes

I've read through a lot of the post of modifiyng the stock muffler, but i feel that the risk of messing things up is more likely than not...

If a stock muffler is too restrictive i think i'd rather weld a "tri mill" muffler to fit the narrover 1200 engine.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1385 exhaust / camshaft advice Reply with quote

You're 2 steps ahead of me with your heads and carburetion, but exhaust-wise, I was fortunate enough to find and install an NOS 40hp header/extractor exhaust.

I'm currently running a 1385cc '65 engine w/ the stock square boss heads, CB 1.1 1600 rockers on solid shafts, a 30pict-1 carb and the header, and my car runs great. I've got a set of 1300 heads ready to go in and am just waiting for the cylinder tins I've got on order, and a set of Solex dual 34s w/ single port manifolds. My plan is to install these the next time I take the engine out for any reason.

I personally would recommend trying to find a freer flowing exhaust, or modifying one as you mentioned, rather than attempting to run the stock exhaust, which would seem almost certain to cause too much back pressure.

Good luck
bcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1385 exhaust / camshaft advice Reply with quote

A merged header would be good, but i want the exhaust to exit in the the stock locations, and since this also will be a budget build, the options are rather limited
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1385 exhaust / camshaft advice Reply with quote

Use an original muffler, or even better the CSP updated original type muffler, with more open tail pipes, like TDE or CSP high flow if you want it to exit in the stock location.
Those are better than any cheap "GT/Sport muffler".

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/exhaust-heating/muffler-beetle-63-1200cc-251-001-034b-27442a.html

If you need something better, you need a proper header system.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1385 exhaust / camshaft advice Reply with quote

I have an Engle FK41, which doesn't seem to like the stock intake at low rpm (it's lopey and torque is noticably down from reversion) but makes a lot of torque once rolling. Dual single barrel carbs would likely smooth out the low rpm reversion issue; the same cam in my 1679 with dual DRLA's idled as smooth as possible. Pulls hills at 75-80 no problem.

For exhaust I cut open a stock muffler and removed the baffles, then made a new rear panel to delete the stock tips and welded on quad tips like an Abarth. Works well on my 1500cc 40hp build. It's probably a bit louder than most people would like, but in a sedan it should be more tolerable.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Link

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1385 exhaust / camshaft advice Reply with quote

Nice car theastronaut!

If you don't mind my asking a few questions about your car, are you are using the 83mm big bore kit with a 69mm crank?

Also, are you using 1300 or 1500 heads? I know from experience that the 40hp 83mm big bore barrels will fit into stock 1300 heads, but if one were to use 1500 heads I would imagine they may need to use the 1500 barrels instead.

Just one last question - how did you get the intake manifold to fasten up? The 40hp engine is overall narrower and the later manifolds won't fit out of the box due to the difference in width and the intake port angle. Perhaps you used longer barrels and/or spacers or cut and welded the 1500 intake?

Sorry for all the questions! Congrats on that beautiful vert!
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1385 exhaust / camshaft advice Reply with quote

fl59bug wrote:
Nice car theastronaut!

If you don't mind my asking a few questions about your car, are you are using the 83mm big bore kit with a 69mm crank?

Also, are you using 1300 or 1500 heads? I know from experience that the 40hp 83mm big bore barrels will fit into stock 1300 heads, but if one were to use 1500 heads I would imagine they may need to use the 1500 barrels instead.

Just one last question - how did you get the intake manifold to fasten up? The 40hp engine is overall narrower and the later manifolds won't fit out of the box due to the difference in width and the intake port angle. Perhaps you used longer barrels and/or spacers or cut and welded the 1500 intake?

Sorry for all the questions! Congrats on that beautiful vert!

Thanks! It's not too bad for a $700 craigslist find lol. It's a CB counterweighted 69mm crank with narrowed 40hp rods and AA's piston/cylinder set. Double check AA's skirt clearance- mine were on the loose side out of the box. It has '65 40hp heads and intake. The engine is quite narrow since the heads were milled to get 9.5 CR.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1385 exhaust / camshaft advice Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply. I was overthinking things a bit I guess. Smile

Again, nice car, have fun with it!

Happy new year,

Ted
bcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1385 exhaust / camshaft advice Reply with quote

Kjell Roar wrote:
Use an original muffler, or even better the CSP updated original type muffler, with more open tail pipes, like TDE or CSP high flow if you want it to exit in the stock location.

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/exhaust-heating/muffler-beetle-63-1200cc-251-001-034b-27442a.html

What about this? (Modified to fit)

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13%2D3418
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1385 exhaust / camshaft advice Reply with quote

It looks like you would have to do a lot of measuring/cutting/welding with that exhaust but if you're up for it you might have good luck with that one.

I see there are also a couple more 40hp-specific exhausts:

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C23%2D35173S

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13%2D3766
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1385 exhaust / camshaft advice Reply with quote

bcrazy wrote:
Kjell Roar wrote:

What about this? (Modified to fit)

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13%2D3418

Probably gives less hp

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
bcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1385 exhaust / camshaft advice Reply with quote

theastronaut wrote:
I have an Engle FK41, which doesn't seem to like the stock intake at low rpm (it's lopey and torque is noticably down from reversion) but makes a lot of torque once rolling. Dual single barrel carbs would likely smooth out the low rpm reversion issue; the same cam in my 1679 with dual DRLA's idled as smooth as possible. Pulls hills at 75-80 no problem.

For exhaust I cut open a stock muffler and removed the baffles, then made a new rear panel to delete the stock tips and welded on quad tips like an Abarth. Works well on my 1500cc 40hp build. It's probably a bit louder than most people would like, but in a sedan it should be more tolerable.

Link

What ratio rockers do you use with FK41?
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1385 exhaust / camshaft advice Reply with quote

bcrazy wrote:

You can use any rocker you want to, the cam won't know the difference.
The FK series is designed for 1.4 or 1.5 but with single port heads there is no need for all that lift.

Use 1.1:1 or 1:1 and it will be a lot easier on the entire valve train.

With 1.1:1 you will still get .400 lift.
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1385 exhaust / camshaft advice Reply with quote

QRP wrote:
bcrazy wrote:

The FK series is designed for 1.4 or 1.5 but with single port heads there is no need for all that lift.

You dont benefit from the higher lift, but the valves also open faster, and close later, giving better fill. Thats half the benefit with ratio rockers on stock heads.

QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1385 exhaust / camshaft advice Reply with quote

Kjell Roar wrote:
QRP wrote:
bcrazy wrote:

You dont benefit from the higher lift, but the valves also open faster, and close later, giving better fill. Thats half the benefit with ratio rockers on stock heads.

Are we still talking about a 40hp big bore??

I could understand if it was at least a DP 1600 but in a BB 40hp I would never run that much lift, unless I was looking to set a new track record at Bonneville or something, but I'm fairly confident this post is about a daily driver.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: