Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 L51K Chrome Blue Type 34
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:52 am    Post subject: 1969 L51K Chrome Blue Type 34 Reply with quote

This past Sunday the 5th, I got a google alert for a type 34 for sale in Vermont. At first glance I thought it was just another scammer. The first photo of the ad was of a different car and there was little detail in the ad and did not even have contact info. I was amazed to see the car close to me in VT. So I followed up via email. Monday the seller and we spoke over the phone. Things got more real and I was excited but still apprehensive.4

One minute into the call the seller seemed straight forward and and said he was now owner of a small car collection that he was selling off for the previous owner.

I needed info on this car fast to see if it was legit, so I reached out to Lee Hedges. I gave Lee what little info I had from the guy and a picture or two from the listing. Lee knew the car and gave me more info than the current seller knew. This info from Lee proved invaluable in my decision to purchase the car or even to follow-up for that matter.

Yesterday morning I took a ride to Vermont where the car has been for some years. The car was legit indeed! I knew when I walked into the garage, I needed to have it. I spent a couple hours chatting with the seller and going through the car.

I have added a few shots but have approx 60 more on my phone. I will upload some more tonight. I will document the car thoroughly when I get it home in the next week or so. They are still salting roads in Vermont as of yesterday so I am looking into enclosed transport.

I still can't believe I found this car right here in New England.

Lucas

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 L51K Chrome Blue Type 34 Reply with quote

here is some more info on the car from the last time it sold back in 2004

http://www.leehedges.com/t34/puret34/1969nc.htm

From those pictures and seeing the car yesterday the car is largely unchanged sine these photos. It does have stock exhaust on it now. In fact it only has a little over 1000 miles more since it sold last.
1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 L51K Chrome Blue Type 34 Reply with quote

Wow!
Dfasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 L51K Chrome Blue Type 34 Reply with quote

sweet
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 L51K Chrome Blue Type 34 Reply with quote

Nice score! Beautiful car.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 L51K Chrome Blue Type 34 Reply with quote

Congrats! That's awesome Shocked
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 L51K Chrome Blue Type 34 Reply with quote

Very nice. Congratulations.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
corythosaurus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 L51K Chrome Blue Type 34 Reply with quote

Very nice
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 L51K Chrome Blue Type 34 Reply with quote

the website you posted is blocked at work but from what I do see that is a very nice car. Huge congrats

Quote:
Based on our corporate access policies, this website ( http://www.leehedges.com/t34/puret34/1969nc.htm ) has been blocked because it has been determined by Web Reputation Filters to be a security threat to your computer or the corporate network. This web site has been associated with malware/spyware.

ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 L51K Chrome Blue Type 34 Reply with quote

Nice,

makes me want to start working on mine!

Martin
allwagons

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 L51K Chrome Blue Type 34 Reply with quote

Thanks all! I am still in shock that I found this car in this condition less than 150 miles from me.

Got even better tonight when the seller called to tell me he bought a rover in the town next to where I live and is delivering the car to my house. Very Happy

Hey Eric sorry the link is getting flagged. I will post up some more shots soon so you don't get accosted by infosec
1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 L51K Chrome Blue Type 34 Reply with quote

My gosh, you found an incredible car! I've never driven a Type 34 but always admired them, especially really well restored or preserved ones. I'd consider a '69 like yours with IRS to be the best driving long-distance aircooled VW among all Type 1 and 3. With no more Terryville or Harwinton VW meets in CT I hope I get to see it in person some time.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 L51K Chrome Blue Type 34 Reply with quote

very cool!
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 L51K Chrome Blue Type 34 Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
My gosh, you found an incredible car! I've never driven a Type 34 but always admired them, especially really well restored or preserved ones. I'd consider a '69 like yours with IRS to be the best driving long-distance aircooled VW among all Type 1 and 3. With no more Terryville or Harwinton VW meets in CT I hope I get to see it in person some time.

That makes 2 of us man- I have only driven it to maneuver into the garage..still too salty out there to take her out for a ride. Plus the fuel lines are old and it has a plastic filter in the engine bay which will be moved very soon.

I'm bummed about the two CT shows but if you are ever near Boston give me a shout you can check it out anytime.

Lucas
1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI
chizucc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 L51K Chrome Blue Type 34 Reply with quote

Beautiful T34...congrats
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 L51K Chrome Blue Type 34 Reply with quote

Congrats to you for going the distance on this car. Really beautiful color. Like the whitewalls too!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 L51K Chrome Blue Type 34 Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
Congrats to you for going the distance on this car. Really beautiful color. Like the whitewalls too!

Thanks, I like the white walls too. These are in need of replacement due to dry rot, and the silvertowns are about 625 a set so they have to wait a bit.

I have a short list of things first like fuel lines (has the 29 cent time bomb plastic filter in engine bay), brakes, rubber oil filler boot is brittle and cracked. I may have to run some other tires for a bit before I replace them with a nice set of 3/4 " white walls. Other 4 lugs I have that have good rubber are gas burners & pedrini wheels so I hope no one gets offended. I swear it's only temporary Wink
Couple other items top my list:
Car has some filler/Bondo from an old repair in left quarter that I want to address but need to get opinions on how far to go with that. I'd like to keep the car as is where I can. I have 5yards if the SMS grey trunk material I bought a couple years ago and plan to redo the trunks which have some black fuzzy material in them now.

Lucas
1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 L51K Chrome Blue Type 34 Reply with quote

EasternNotch wrote:
MonT3 wrote:

Thanks, I like the white walls too. These are in need of replacement due to dry rot, and the silvertowns are about 625 a set so they have to wait a bit.

I have a short list of things first like fuel lines (has the 29 cent time bomb plastic filter in engine bay), brakes, rubber oil filler boot is brittle and cracked. I may have to run some other tires for a bit before I replace them with a nice set of 3/4 " white walls. Other 4 lugs I have that have good rubber are gas burners & pedrini wheels so I hope no one gets offended. I swear it's only temporary Wink
Couple other items top my list:
Car has some filler/Bondo from an old repair in left quarter that I want to address but need to get opinions on how far to go with that. I'd like to keep the car as is where I can. I have 5yards if the SMS grey trunk material I bought a couple years ago and plan to redo the trunks which have some black fuzzy material in them now.

Lucas

That's an awesome car, and it is YOUR car. Do what you want with it, as long as you are happy, the world can spin.....

Let me know how you install the Pedrinis as I may do the same on my '63.

Martin
allwagons

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 L51K Chrome Blue Type 34 Reply with quote

Quote:

That's an awesome car, and it is YOUR car. Do what you want with it, as long as you are happy, the world can spin.....

Let me know how you install the Pedrinis as I may do the same on my '63.

Martin
allwagons

Is your 63 4 lug? If so they bolt right on. I've run them on my 71 square for a while now. you could drill the wide five or convert to 4 lug but I wouldn't because I think wide five is awesome but wheel selection isn't I guess
1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 L51K Chrome Blue Type 34 Reply with quote

Delivery day 3/8/17

Evidence of old repair in left quarter- I plan to fix this but need some professional advice

engine code - I have never seen a plate like this. Does anyone know what this is?

Karmann badges covering side marker holes

1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: