Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Running better with advanced timing
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Running better with advanced timing Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:
If you want the stock look, try one of these.
https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1887.htm

That is pretty cool. May pick that up. Is there any set position for the woodruff key slot in relation to TDC? Every one I've seen appears to have the woodruff key slot 90* to TDC.....
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Running better with advanced timing Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Is there any set position for the woodruff key slot in relation to TDC? Every one I've seen appears to have the woodruff key slot 90* to TDC.....

Yes, has to be. Like 9 o'clock position as you look at it at TDC #1 and at TDC #3.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Running better with advanced timing Reply with quote

ok so you say it stalls and runs like crap at 7.5 degrees advance. the solution for the stalling is a carb adjustment as timing effects idle speed. so if your carb is adjusted for a 10 degree advance setting, and you travel to the middle of mongolia and all you can get is 70 octane fuel, and find you need to retard timing to 7.5 degrees, you would be expected to also reset the carb to give propper idle.

more advance means faster idle, less advance mean slower idle unless you adjust carb to compensate.

but you will get more power, more mileage with more advance, up to the limit of detonation. the grade of fuel determines how much advance the engine can safely handle.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Running better with advanced timing Reply with quote

OK so yes that CB Performance PUlley would be the way to go for the Stock Look, that is nice! Yes make sure to get a pulley that is stock size and stock oil slinger unless you had the seal installed in you engine. The cheap aluminum pulleys are only good for one or two tries at installing they get too big for the crankshaft the more you move them around. The paint wears off real easy if you man handle them much but they will do the job otherwise if left alone.
You know I doubt a lot that it's possible to find TDC very well sticking something in the Spark Plug hole. UN less it's a dial indicator but there are several degrees of margin at TDC so even that would require judgment. What do you call TDC the the center of the play at the top or the beginning of the highest point? The Degree wheel is probably the very best up-grade any stock vw engine could get first.
Now on the subject of the tired 1300, For sure do the bottom end on it while it's out of the car. They are a very forgiving engine as far as hammering out at the case goes. Probably just needs new bearings and a crankshaft polish, I would replace the rods and go to the 88mm bore slip in perhaps L3 heads if going to a dp conversion or just rebuild the 1300 heads and have them opened and fly cut for the 88's, Compression will need to be about 8 to 1, use the W-100 or very close to it cam and yes if you want to try dual carbs like IDF or DRLA's Probably looking at making it a DP Dual Port engine but as a single port the W-100 plays very nice, I did it with the W-100 and a 69mm CCW crank and just 85.5 Bore (High CR, I had too much ran a little hot) light weight lifters, 1 3/8 header, stock heater boxes, etc... Tried different carbs, including a single Solex PBIC 32 from a 356 engine which gave it tremendous performance for a single but in the end I liked the torque and gas milage of the single Solex VW PIC-28 the best.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Running better with advanced timing Reply with quote

As I mentioned I was considering dual ICTs, mech only disty, and trimil sport exhaust but with the numbers I am seeing from the compression I won't be doing anything until I redo the compression test and it still poor I'll get a leak down kit and test for that. If the engine is still not looking up to handling upgrades, I'll just drive it as is until I can get the other engine I have a thread about built. But that's another story.

Went to tinker again today and tried to get the dwell up. After about 10 tries I pulled the points and they were pretty toasty looking. Ugh. Was going to change them out but remembered the rebuilt 113K had new points, condensor, etc so took the old out and out the new in. Set the dwell to 48 on the new points and tried the "7.5btdc" notch. Still runs like shit. Adjusted air/fuel/idle and get it idling but bad hesitation when you pull quickly on the throttle arm and occasionally backfires through the carb. Set the timing at what should be "10BTDC" and it runs like butta. Readjust the air/fuel/idle, take it for a romp and it drives nice. Accelerates nice and smooth, easy pulls over 55 in 3rd and just drives great. Not sure what to make of it at this point.

Out of time to tinker today as I've been farting around for most of two days now so I'll have to leave it. Any thoughts are appreciated. I may pull the 113T out tomorrow and swap that in. I also have a 30 PICT-1 with the power jet and a new rebuilt pierburg FP to put on in place of the generic one I have on now. Maybe I can get rid of the 5-6 gaskets sitting under it to bring my FP down tona reasonable level.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Running better with advanced timing Reply with quote

Growing up with ole auto timers. .. Laughing .. one of the first things they told me.. hard to set timing by specs on old engines with old parts .. or even new (overhauled) engines with old parts.. Anxious

Always use base static timing to get them running.. and if they run good there.. then its good to go....
but
there's those few... you simply must.. tune by ear and by feel.. . and set it where an engine likes it..

Many a time... the ole' Mochanics I was fortunate to be in the shop with.. would set dwell correct.... set or creep up timing to spark knock and back them down until the spark knock was gone.. then take 2 more degrees out of them...
Yeah... ok.. not scientific.. not to specs.. a bit shade tree.. but in the end the engines ran well.. and made many customers happy for many miles.. Really can't dispute that it worked.. ..works....

Fuel is NOT the same as it was way back in the 30's-70's.. that's a big factor in why things sometimes don't seem right ignition timing wise.

A little extra timing wont hurt anything.. as long as there is ZERO detonation (spark knock)

Also.. timing for low octane and mid.. and high octane fuels.. can be several degrees different....
If you are using high octane.. and setting for the low crude VW spec fuel.. you are missing taking advantage of some pep in it's step.. ..

My 2 bits.. . most will say.. something is wrong with it.. oh well..
One things certain.. nothing is certain..with mechanical things and many variables.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Running better with advanced timing Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:

At $70-80+ handling + shipping + maybe taxes, I will make my own marks on my pulley, thank you very much. Use this:

http://www.tavia.com/free_degree_wheel.jpg

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Running better with advanced timing Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
Bryan67 wrote:

At $70-80+ handling + shipping + maybe taxes, I will make my own marks on my pulley, thank you very much. Use this:

http://www.tavia.com/free_degree_wheel.jpg

It is pretty but maybe if/when I rebuild. I'll probably take the pulley off sometime when I pull the engine to replace the insulation boards and use that template and a dremel to make some nice pretty marks in my pulley.
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Running better with advanced timing Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
Yes. You should be identifying distributors by the first three numbers then the letter at the end. There were at least three different 205 T's used on VW's.

111 905 205 T
113 905 205 T

ok checked and there are only two T's but they have different vacuum canisters/advance.

FWIW there is a 311 905 205 T, which is a DVDA for euro-spec 71 manual carbed type 3s
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Running better with advanced timing Reply with quote

now, back to the OP, if your car is not idling right at 7,5BTDC there is definitely something wrong in there.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Running better with advanced timing Reply with quote

Slow 1200 wrote:
now, back to the OP, if your car is not idling right at 7,5BTDC there is definitely something wrong in there.

I'm welcome to suggestions, but the issue persists with two distributors, one of which has been rebuilt. New points, condenser, wires, rotor, cap, as well as wires. Carb has been rebuilt and adjusted. Valves have been adjusted and rechecked. I've jacked around with this for hours at this point and cannot get it to idle worth crap at the "7.5BTDC" mark. Bump it up to the second mark and it purrs. I'm out of ideas.
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Running better with advanced timing Reply with quote

typically you should be able to idle at anything beteween 0 and 20 BTDC, are you sure you don't have a vacuum leak?
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Running better with advanced timing Reply with quote

Slow 1200 wrote:
typically you should be able to idle at anything beteween 0 and 20 BTDC, are you sure you don't have a vacuum leak?

Shaft has slight play but I don't think it's anything abnormal. It's single port and I've sprayed starter fluid while the engine is running around the base of the carb and the manifold connections at the heads with no change. If I spray the shaft I get a slight change but in reading multiple threads I've seen that this isn't abnormal. The shaft isn't airtight. Vacuum hoses are newish.
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Running better with advanced timing Reply with quote

Is your car a 6 volt ? If you're using a modern dwell meter(not analog with a 6 volt select) you might be getting an incorrect dwell reading.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Running better with advanced timing Reply with quote

thomas. wrote:
Is your car a 6 volt ? If you're using a modern dwell meter(not analog with a 6 volt select) you might be getting an incorrect dwell reading.

It is 6 volt. And in order to get within the correct dwell range my points are gapped at what feels way less than .016. I actually use the .013 gauge to get it where it is. I've used two separate meters. I'm not buying a third...😂

Last edited by Sharp64 on Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Running better with advanced timing Reply with quote

Stock cam and gear?
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Running better with advanced timing Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Stock cam and gear?

Unknown. I would assume so. I've never opened it up and no plans to do so anytime soon. It still has 1300 heads.
Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Running better with advanced timing Reply with quote

I don't know that you can have too much dwell.... I'd open that gap back up to what is spec'd for your distributor and let the dwell fall where it may. If you think about your point gap and it's relationship to overall timing opening up the points might just move you back into that 7.5 range.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Running better with advanced timing Reply with quote

Chad M wrote:
I'd open that gap back up to what is spec'd for your distributor and let the dwell fall where it may .

I do the opposite..

I always set VW dwell to 50 degrees .. and let the gap fall where it may..

It quite possible could be an improperly/altered timed cam.. which will play havoc with trying to set ignition timing to stock settings.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Running better with advanced timing Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Chad M wrote:
I'd open that gap back up to what is spec'd for your distributor and let the dwell fall where it may .

I do the opposite..

I always set VW dwell to 50 degrees .. and let the gap fall where it may..

It quite possible could be an improperly/altered timed cam.. which will play havoc with trying to set ignition timing to stock settings.

That's why I have done what I did. I have read multiple threads saying that the dwell reading was what was important due to human error etc and that a digital dwell reading was considerably more accurate than using a gapping tool. My dwell is currently at 48 and actually flutters up a few tenths of a point while the engine is running.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: