Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what tires are people using for 4" rims
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
jrp916
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: what tires are people using for 4" rims Reply with quote

Hello all,
I have 4" front rims for my off-road buggy and I see a lot of off-road rims in 4". What tires are people using? The only option I see for dirt is the Mickey thompson mini mag. Is there anything else available?

mickey thompson tire- https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-2551/overview/

I feel like I've seen 215 mud-terrains on 4" wheels?
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: what tires are people using for 4" rims Reply with quote

Pretty much any 7.00x15 also works...29-30 inches tall and only slightly wider than the mini mags. Most are pretty tough, but a bit on the heavy side for how big they are.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
jrp916
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: what tires are people using for 4" rims Reply with quote

Thank you, here are a couple. But ya, looks heavy-

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cok-59132/overview/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LT-7-00-15-Nylon-D503-MUD-...mp;vxp=mtr

These even looks like its for a 5" rim, but with those stiff sidewalls it'd probably be fine?

Anyone other tires anyone knows of ? Anyone ever put a 215 mud terrain on a 4" wheel?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: what tires are people using for 4" rims Reply with quote

I have the BFG KO2 on 215/75-15 on stock 4J rims. The BFG mud tires aren't too different so you'd be fine I'd say.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jrp916
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: what tires are people using for 4" rims Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
I have the BFG KO2 on 215/75-15 on stock 4J rims. The BFG mud tires aren't too different so you'd be fine I'd say.

Thanks! How long have you been running them? I like this look, I think that's what this buggy has below. Tire calls for a 5.5" rim, but I think for off-road only where your not putting alot of lateral side wall stress (no hard cornering) on the tire it'd be fine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looking at the charts more, I've been running a 31x10.5 ko2 on a 6" wheel for along time and its suppose to have a 7" wheel. I have had dirt get in the bead a couple times and the tire going flat, but I think thats just part of being off-road.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: what tires are people using for 4" rims Reply with quote

My Baja has 7.00-15s on Centerline 15 x 3.5" wheels. Works fine. A great many Bajas have a similar setup. So do most 5-1600 race Baja Bugs.

Most white spoke wheels used for fronts are 5" wide. That's what you see on the front of my Hi Jumper race car in my avatar.

And if you think offroading doesn't put a lot of side loads on a tire, you haven't been up close to a desert offroad race. Even playing can strain them pretty hard too. Driving on the street is NOTHING in comparison.

Look at this Baja I've raced in.

Or this one.

Both of those have 7.00-15s on 3.5" wide Centerlines.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jrp916
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: what tires are people using for 4" rims Reply with quote

Thanks! Any recommendations on where to buy those tires? The ones I've seen so far look like they are more like for a jeep (tread patterns).
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: what tires are people using for 4" rims Reply with quote

Many VW supply shops sell 7.00-15s. Most tire shops can get them. All Terrain or Mud Terrain tires of many brands in sizes from 215-75 x 15 to 235-75 x 15 will also work.

The tires can be 'P' - passenger series, or LT - light truck in load range B or C. The ones you see on the front of my Baja are Yokohama. The ones on my buggy are Cooper. LOTS of brands will work well. There are a huge number of options for you.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: what tires are people using for 4" rims Reply with quote

215/75R-15 BFG's on 4.5.....stock "VW" Marathon wheels....just say'n

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: what tires are people using for 4" rims Reply with quote

Bill has a great setup there. In fact my plan for the next pair of tires for the front of my Baja is 215-75 all terrains. Which ones I choose depends on what tires are available at good deals when the time comes. My tire brand choice is not cast in stone.
SoCalBajas Member
jrp916
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: what tires are people using for 4" rims Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I have decided to go with a 30" x 9.5" front tire for my rail. I can either go with a 4" or 7" btr front rim. The 4" rim will make a little more narrow tire which will make it easier to turn and also help narrow my front width (which is almost wider than the rear). I think it'll look a little better for a rail too. But the center of the tire will wear faster.

Not sure which rim to go with yet.

Also fyi 4wheelparts has a great deal on all-terrains and mud-terrains right now.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: what tires are people using for 4" rims Reply with quote

Those are pretty wide tires up front there buddy. Any particular reason you are going that rout? Honestly, the buggies I have drove that drove the west were ones with skinny tires up front. Just something to think about.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
jrp916
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: what tires are people using for 4" rims Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Those are pretty wide tires up front there buddy. Any particular reason you are going that rout? Honestly, the buggies I have drove that drove the west were ones with skinny tires up front. Just something to think about.

Good question- I test drive some 235s on the front and I like how well they bite the dirt (we have a dirt track out here) and also with the flexing side wall they absorb bumps well. 235s and 30x9.5 have the same tread width they are just taller. I'm going with 33's in the back so I want something not too far off from that for the fronts.

I also like the look of the mud terrains and am looking forward to the white lettering sticking out.

I think I'm going with 4" front rims to give a more "skinny" front tire look.

For a lot of the buggies out here that drive in the desert the skinny tire may "dig" deeper into the soil for the fronts, but I think these will be a good balance for our dirt track.

For a car that drives on the street a 4" wheel would be too small on a 9.5" tire as you wouldn't get a very flat tread pattern.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: what tires are people using for 4" rims Reply with quote

The bigger the tires on the front of a buggy, the greater the forces on the suspension components.

Yes...you can put 30 x 9.50-15 tires on a 15 x 4" wheel. But you would be asking an AWFUL LOT of stock spindles, linkpins, links and kingpins. Probably be OK with Combo Links.

Lots of desert offroad racers use 33x10.50s on the front of Class 5-Open, Class 12 (any width beam front end, limited engine buggy) and Class 10. (similar to 12, but with a-arm front). But their front ends cost many thousands of dollars to build.
SoCalBajas Member
jrp916
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: what tires are people using for 4" rims Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
The bigger the tires on the front of a buggy, the greater the forces on the suspension components.

Yes...you can put 30 x 9.50-15 tires on a 15 x 4" wheel. But you would be asking an AWFUL LOT of stock spindles, linkpins, links and kingpins. Probably be OK with Combo Links.

Lots of desert offroad racers use 33x10.50s on the front of Class 5-Open, Class 12 (any width beam front end, limited engine buggy) and Class 10. (similar to 12, but with a-arm front). But their front ends cost many thousands of dollars to build.

Thanks, that is a good thing to consider. Luckily I do have combo spindles.

Btw, where do all the racers post? I don't feel like I see much of that activity here. Are they just too busy racing Smile ???
69 DEWD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: what tires are people using for 4" rims Reply with quote

https://simpletire.com/jetzon-7.0015lt-aud36-tires...fgodNmkC0g
Just got these. Haven't tried them out yet but they sure look good.
jrp916
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: what tires are people using for 4" rims Reply with quote

Here it is! 30s in the front and 33s in the back! I think it looks great but I'm a little disappointed at the width of the 10.5 km2s my old all terrains (31x10.5) were over 3/4" wider on the tread.

jrp916
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: what tires are people using for 4" rims Reply with quote

So to provide a little more information. I did some measuring last night the 30x9.5 KM2 mud terrains on 4" rims had a 1.5" tire side bulge past the rim. The exact same amount of side bulge my old 31x10.5 all terrains had on my old centerline 5.5" wide rims. I would admit if this was a street car I would have a little too much crowning on the tire tread surface, but for dirt it seems a good fit.

The 33x10.5 km2 mud terrains on 7" BTR wheels have a 1.25" tire side bulge, I was surprised the front and rears had such a similiar bulge.

This is a picture of the front tire side bulge.
nate3923
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: what tires are people using for 4" rims Reply with quote

I run baja pros and love them
chappy89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: what tires are people using for 4" rims Reply with quote

hope im not digging up to old of a thread but here is my setup, front 215/75R15, rear 30X9.5R15 Hankook Dynapro M/T
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: