Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headlight Ques- Lw beam turns off when high beam on <resolved>
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Headlight Ques- Lw beam turns off when high beam on <resolved> Reply with quote

I did a quick google search and didnt find a similar topic, if I missed it please point me towards it.

I hadnt realized this before, so not sure if it's always been this way (since I've owned the van, 2015) or if this is new.

I drive with my lights on all the time (low beams). And this morning i was infront of a store front window and decided to turn on my high beams to see how it looked (van wanted to be vain). And I noticed that my driver side low beam turns off when the high beam comes on, on the passenger side both the high beam and low beam stay on. Van is an '89 square headlight w/ the GW headlight relay kit and bulb upgrade ( http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?id=3093)

Thoughts on what would switch off the low beam on the driver side when i turn on the highs?

Thanks
-Dsd

Last edited by dsdunbar on Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight question- Low beam turns off when high beam is on (DS) Reply with quote

Bulb and fuse are the first things to check.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight question- Low beam turns off when high beam is on (DS) Reply with quote

You are mistaken about how the lights operate. The low beams switch OFF when the high beams are ON. The outer bulbs have 2 filaments in each bulb. One filament is for low beam and the other filament for high beam. It sounds like a burned out filament for the high beam in that bulb. Switch the outer bulbs from side to side if in doubt.

Also it is pretty common to burn out the contacts inside the wiring sockets. The is especially common if someone has put extra bright bulbs in. I just installed new sockets in a friends 87 yesterday after his "upgraded" 80/100 bulbs burned out both sockets. Nice upgrade, brighter lights for a while and then dimmer than original or none at all at some point.

Mark

dsdunbar wrote:
I did a quick google search and didnt find a similar topic, if I missed it please point me towards it.

I hadnt realized this before, so not sure if it's always been this way (since I've owned the van, 2015) or if this is new.

I drive with my lights on all the time (low beams). And this morning i was infront of a store front window and decided to turn on my high beams to see how it looked (van wanted to be vain). And I noticed that my driver side low beam turns off when the high beam comes on, on the passenger side both the high beam and low beam stay on. Van is an '89 square headlight w/ the GW headlight relay kit and bulb upgrade ( http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?id=3093)

Thoughts on what would switch off the low beam on the driver side when i turn on the highs?

Thanks
-Dsd
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight question- Low beam turns off when high beam is on (DS) Reply with quote

Thanks Mark. I will plan to do a swap from L to R and see if that isolates the issue to the bulb.

What I dont understand then is why the right side (passenger side) low beams would not turn off when the highs are on? You mention the dual filament...and I am spacing on the logic. If one of the filaments burned out...why would that result in the bulb remaining on? I guess I dont understand how a dual filament bulb works (I thought dual filament bulbs had one filament for low beam and then another filament for high beams...but my only experience is with my past '04 audi that had xenon lights and only one bulb and two filaments one for highs and one for lows (at least thats what i figured it to be)...as for the vanagon...why would the low beams be a dual filament if the vanagon has separate light fixture and bulb for high beams? As mentioned i have the GW kit installed, and those are the Hella 9004 100/80W HB1.

Trying to google this and not finding much info.

crazyvwvanman wrote:
You are mistaken about how the lights operate. The low beams switch OFF when the high beams are ON. The outer bulbs have 2 filaments in each bulb. One filament is for low beam and the other filament for high beam. It sounds like a burned out filament for the high beam in that bulb. Switch the outer bulbs from side to side if in doubt.

Also it is pretty common to burn out the contacts inside the wiring sockets. The is especially common if someone has put extra bright bulbs in. I just installed new sockets in a friends 87 yesterday after his "upgraded" 80/100 bulbs burned out both sockets. Nice upgrade, brighter lights for a while and then dimmer than original or none at all at some point.

Mark

dsdunbar wrote:

Thanks
-Dsd

T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight question- Low beam turns off when high beam is on (DS) Reply with quote

The high beam filament of your driver side outer headlamp bulb is burned out......

Time for two new bulbs right and left keep the passenger side as a spare.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight question- Low beam turns off when high beam is on (DS) Reply with quote

thanks
a bit of a bummer though as I installed these in April 2016.
T3 Pilot wrote:

Time for two new bulbs right and left keep the passenger side as a spare.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: